PDA

View Full Version : Crew life. still worth it? salary & benefits ; career progression?

coldplay
20th Jul 2004, 05:31
hey guys..

from what I can see in many posts, it looks like in these past years, the cabin crew pay and benefits package has been reduced due to a lot of supply for the little demand ?? but.. wasnt it always like this ?? even 20 or 40 years ago ? .. didnt everyone want to be cabin crew ?

whats so different now ? and what will be the future for CC ... this means that in the future the salaries will really go down and down ??? because one thing is for sure.. its true that in Heathrow Airport cleaners get better salary than what Ive seen posted for some airlines cc jobs
whats the current salary structure for airlines like Emirates and Etihad.. sometimes i heard plp say they can make 3000 USD+ a month, other times its only 1600USD.. what is true and isnt?...

stayovers?? for example when flying to a place like UK from dubai or New york .. how many nights can we stay till the return flight ? ... is it that before the staying period was bigger and now they reduced it to very few nights ? how few can be few ?? can anyone tell me? I want to have a decent job, not be in Air Slavery

how about career progression, I mean currently without the cliches.. what can a CC really expect as far as career progression into other area within/outside the airline???

cheers mates

DELTABOY
20th Jul 2004, 11:15
HI COLDPLAY,
I WORKED AS CABIN CREW FOR 17 YEARS WITH VARIOUS AIRLINES. I WOULD SAY IT HAS BECOME MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO THIS TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT THAN THE DAYS WHEN I WAS DESPERATE TO FLY.
THERE IS MUCH MORE OF A CHOICE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR BASES IN THE LONDON AREA.
MONEY WISE, IT HAS PRETTY MUCH REMAINED THE SAME IN COMPARRISON TO OTHER JOBS. I GUESS IF YOU LOOK AT THE AMMOUNT OF TIME CREW GET OFF DUTY, ESPECIALLY CHARTER CREWS DURING THE QUIET WINTER PERIODS, ITS NOT THAT BADLY PAID. HAVING SAID THAT IF YOU CHOOSE A SHORT HAUL SCHEDULED AIRLINE, ITS PRETTY HARD GOING & RELENTLESS ALL YEAR ROUND, MY ADVISE WOULD BE TO GO PART TIME IF IT WAS AVAILABLE & BALANCE FLYING WITH ANOTHER JOB TO TRY & KEEP YOU SANE.
ANOTHER AREA THAT HAS INEVITABLY CHANGED, DUE TO AVIATION BEING EASILY AFFORDABLE TO THE MASSES,IS THE DECLINE IN THE CALIBRE OF CUSTOMERS THAT TRAVEL. IE: IF YOU WERE TO WORK FOR A CHARTER OPERATING A NIGHT RHODES OR IBIZA, YOU MIGHT FEEL YOU HAVE BEEN CATAPULTED INTO THE AIR, ENTOMBED FOR 12/13 HOURS IN A ROUGH PUB, WITH NO ESCAPE OR SECURITY STAFF TO SORT OUT FIGHTS ETC OR, IF YOU WERE TO OPERATE A TENERIFE, LANZAROTE FLIGHT, IMAGES OF THE TRISHA SHOW AT 35,000FT SPRING INTO ONES MIND. I DON'T WISH TO SOUND BITTER, BUT ITS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED, & VERBAL & PHYSICAL ABUSE TOWARS CABIN CREW IS GETTING TO UNACCEPTABLE LEVELS.
ON THE POSITIVE SIDE. ITS A FUN JOB & YOU DO MEET SOME GREAT PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY. NIGHT STOPS HAVE REDUCED, ESPECIALLY WITH IN SCHEDULED AIRLINES DUE TO INCREASES IN FREQUENCIES IE: BA CREWS YEARS AGO OPERATED A 4 WEEK AUSIE TRIP, THESE DAYS ITS MUCH SHORTER. THE BEST AIRLINES TO WORK FOR IN THE UK WHICH WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD BALANCE OF BOTH LONG & SHORT HAUL ARE THE CHARTERS. AIRLINES LIKE MONARCH & MY TRAVEL AIRWAYS HAVE SOME SUPER TRIPS.
I HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP TO YOU & I WISH YOU LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.:ok: :p

FORGOT TO MENTION ABOUT PAY STRUCTURE.
AS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW, AIRLINES USUALLY PAY THEIR CREWS A BASIC WAGE + FLIGHT PAY & OR OVERSEAS ALLOWANCES + BAR COMMISSION, WHICH ON SOME ROUTES CAN BE VERY LUCRATIVE. WHEN I WORKED FOR EMIRATES BACK IN THE LATE EIGHTIES, WE USED TO TAKE HOME £850 PER MONTH. I BELIEVE THAT ITS PROBABLY AROUND £1000 OR MORE THESE DAYS, BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ALL YOUR LIVING COSTS & TRANSPORTATION TO & FROM THE AIRPORT IS FULLY PAID FOR + ITS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG!
YOU MENTION THAT SALARIES MAY GO EVEN LOWER, I WOULD SAY IF ANYTHING THEY WILL HAVE TO IMPROVE, ESPECIALLY THE CHARTERS, SO AS TO ATTRACT PEOPLE TO APPLY. AT MY LAST COMPANY, WHICH WAS A RAPIDLY EXPANDING CHARTER, THEY REALLY STRUGGLED TO GET GOOD CALIBRE PROSPECTIVE CABIN CREW EACH YEAR, PARTICULARLY AT LONDON. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW THE ROLE OF CABIN CREW IS MORE PERCIEVED THESE DAYS AS NOTHING MORE THAN A SKY SKIVVY, OR AS ONE WOMAN SAID TO HER HUSBAND WHEN I WAS SERVING THEM \' HE OBVIOUSLY DIDN\'T DO VERY WELL AT SCHOOL\'

GOOD LUCK!
:)

BA Boi
20th Jul 2004, 18:37
coldplay

If you want very good pay; very good industrial aggreements; very good chances of career progression and work for a company that - truth be told - do really look after you, then the ONLY way forward is to get into British Airways.

'Nuff said ;)

AJ
20th Jul 2004, 21:39
GREAT post Deltaboy - you've pretty much covered all bases!

Coldpay, if you're looking for glamour (sexy uniform, great destinations, status etc. etc.) there aren't many options left these days. You might want to look at Emirates or Virgin (although everyone I speak to says Virgin pay is terrible...)

BA would also be a good bet, but you'd end up flying shorthaul for a few years, and that ain't the place to be these days (if you want long layovers under tropical palms), what with easyJet and Ryanair creating havoc for the management of full-service airlines.

On the other hand, if you're out just to have some fun, like working with the public and don't mind the unglamorous parts of the job (toilet checks, cleaning up vomit) then it's actually quite good fun. I've met some great people, from ex-mechanics to ex-architects (no joke...), had the great odd nightstop and seen some amazing sunsets from the flightdeck.

Give it a go, but be aware of the reality. This ain't the '70s....

DELTABOY
21st Jul 2004, 13:07
Totally agree with BA Boi,
BA really is the best employer to go for, especially if your serious about a career in this industry.

sammyhostie3
21st Jul 2004, 13:35
I found BA the most unfriendly and un-fun company Ive ever worked for to be honest!

But different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Rabid Dog
22nd Jul 2004, 22:18
Do it for the lifestyle (it's really good fun). If you don't like it (or the $s, or the company, or the punters etc. etc.), you can always leave.

jerrystinger
22nd Jul 2004, 22:45
Depends what you mean by 'career progression'. I flew with BA on longhaul for over 6 years and had a brilliant time, earning good money and seeing some great places, but personally, I didn't see myself loading beef meals down the back of a 747 or pressing 'brew' 30 times a flight as a career option. I've moved on within aviation, still getting the perks, but to a job that has developped my skills further than answering call bells at 3am and preparing endless trays of OJ!
I think you've got to try it, coldplay, as you will have a laugh and get to know about things only cabin crew experience (i.e the feeling of going on 2nd bunk rest on a Heathrow-Singapore or even the feeling of travelling in First class or Club when you've only paid pennies for your ticket!) but the job is a lot tougher now, normally minimum rest downroute and the salary has gone steadily downhill......and even allowances will be taxed in the UK from Nov this year, which means even less money.
Do it, see the world, have a laugh and then move on.

flybywire
25th Jul 2004, 09:21
I agree BA would be the best choice.
I've worked for other airlines in the UK and Italy and have lots of friends who work for charter airlines in the uk and none of them takes care of the cabin crew as much.
In BA after 2 years of flying you can apply for any position: purser, trainer, etc. or work in different departments (CSA/advertising/sales etc) You can even apply for cabin crew manager as soon as you get into the company.
I wouldn't do that but I know of people who've already sent their cv!!

I believe that this is a job you have to try, or you'll regret it later in life.
The cabin crew life-style can be pretty amazing, night-stops or lay-overs in places that you would never be able to afford to see if you had to pay for it, great people to work with, forget about boredom because every flight is unique!!
The down-side of it is sleep-pattern disruptions in most airlines and the fact that you live on a roster, which can be extremely unsociable!!!!

You'll see that after a while all your friends will be people in the industry who can understand what all this means....people who won't be mad at you if 10 minutes before going to the cinema together you call them and say: <<Hi...I've just been called out for a double MAN-GLA....>>. You'll get used to it!!! :)

Also prepare yourself to see your life slip away...when you work on a roster all you wait for is the next month's and before you realise it you are 40!!!! ;)

Take care and enjoy....

FBW:)

PS: I don't clean toilets and I surely don't clean up vomit....unless it's a little child's travelling on their own.
Adults are old enough to either use the sickbag or clean up after themselves, as they would do at their home!! :yuk:

homesick rae
25th Jul 2004, 12:55
Having been crew for 20 years, the lifestyle at EK was the best and the package was great. However, good old Air UK Ltd, all those years ago certainly provided me with a good fun company to work for with little or no hassle. The Management-Crew relationship was excellent and motivated the crew for sure. The pay was nothing special but the atmosphere created through the ranks made up for it.

These days, and not being single, I personally believe my crew background and varied experience during that part of my career has assisted me in obtaining my current position...both my wife and I miss the flying days, she does something entirely different, but I am still in the industry at a more senior level...

I look at cabin crew with pride and admiration, knowing what they go through that some pax know nothing about. It is career not for the feint hearted for sure. Sometimes I feel that certain airline companies could do more to reward the crew for their efforts...Some do, others don't, but the fact remains, whether it is worth it or not, this is a unique lifestyle and once you're in it is hard to get out!

flapsforty
25th Jul 2004, 13:13
flybywire, I am a bit surprised by your last line. So as a quick aside from the main thread subject; how does it work when you don't clean toilets and vomit?
On long flights, toilets get dirty. Who cleans them in your crew? Or do pax have to go to dirty toilets?
When someone is so sick they don't manage to get to the toilet in time, nor get the sickbag out, they are not usually capable of cleaning up the mess themselves. Who does the cleaning in your crew? Your colleagues or do the other pax just have to put up with the look and the smell of it for the rest of the trip?

PavelNedved
26th Jul 2004, 09:47
for me this job wasn't what i was looking for, i agree its a good lifestyle if you want minimum work and lots of time off and good money but if you want to be motivated in your roll then for me its not the right job so today ive resigned, i would like to stay within the aviation industry but whoever tells you its easy to move internally within ba its not as every avenue is blocked.

flyblue
29th Jul 2004, 19:47
Split the topic because it was going a bit off. Yu can find the result here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139442)

STOTTY
30th Jul 2004, 20:59
Having finished my degree, wanted to travel but no money so hence the cabin crew job. Got a job with Emirates-love it, have saved hard and spent a lot, bought a car, live in rent free accommodation, paid transport to and from airport and generally am having a great time. Promotion is quick and easy if you want it. Apart from food while off duty and phone calls home all other expenses paid. I have good trips world wide but layovers are short-UK just one night, Singapore 2 and only hours in Australia. Having said all that, time off is great, beaches, night clubs, swimming, sun, sun and more sun and loads of friends. Do miss some aspects of England and at one time considered moving back but to what?? The job doesn't stretch the brain-I agree some passengers think we are thick as.... but there's no stress and no taking the job home with you-when you are off duty you party!!! I know eventually I'll leave but right now it's a fantastic life.

Rabid Dog
15th Aug 2004, 16:26
Good luck in your future career Pavelnedved, I think you've made the correct move - I can imagine how hard it must have been to resign.