PDA

View Full Version : Copy to CD-R

Corporate Yank
20th Jul 2004, 04:52
New Dell 4600, winxp-pro, dvd (read only), cd (read&write). Received ms office pro 2003 under "home use " program offerred by employer. I've tried to no avail to copy the ms cd to a new blank (TDK cd-r 48x) for backup. Continue to receive message "recording error, try using new disk". I'm wondering if the media is bad or does ms have a means of preventing you from creating a copy. Media records data files just fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, CY

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jul 2004, 05:11
Corporate Yank,

Have you tried copying all the files from the CD to your Hard Drive and then burning a CD from there?

Take Care,

Richard

Corporate Yank
20th Jul 2004, 12:05
Yes, But when I try to copy the files, the whole process comes to a halt about halfway through with a warning that it can't copy a certain file (xb561408) with the message "invalid ms-dos function". Thanks,-CY

mazzy1026
20th Jul 2004, 12:17
What software are you using to copy the CD ?

Try clonecd (just google it) it always (well nearly always) copies CD's with complete ease and no problems.

Regards

Maz

maxell
20th Jul 2004, 12:17
If you have Nero or Alcohol120% try creating an image of the disc then burn the cd from the image

Corporate Yank
21st Jul 2004, 04:06
Tried Clonecd to no avail. It appears that mr. gates doesn't want anybody to have a backup of his software. I can't even copy the disk in either my cd or dvd drive to a folder on my c:\ drive to try tro burn a disk that way. Thanks for your help-CY

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Jul 2004, 12:19
Corporate Yank,

If this is true, then this is the first piece of software that M$ has put copy protection on. They rely on the Licence vs keeping people from being able to copy the CD. (Except when talking about M$ Games.)

Try this software:

Golden Hawk's CDRWIN (http://www.goldenhawk.com)

If that does not copy the CD, my guess is either your CD is damaged or your Drive itself has a problem.

Take Care,

Richard