PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Cadet Pilot Programme Entry

Siu-K
20th Jul 2004, 02:50
Hi all,

I'm very interested to join the Cathay Cadet Pilot Programme. However, education background and age, I'm not sure whether I would be consider a potential candidate or not. Here are some of my personal information. Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently 29 years old and I have working as a system analyst for the past 6 years. I have a 2 year college diploma. Becoming a commercial airline pilot has been my childhood dream. But in reality, I was able to pursue this dream until now because of many reasons. I'm currently living in Canada but I still am considered a resident of Hong Kong. I also plan to get my PPL before I apply the Cathay Cadet program. I hope by having my PPL would show Cathay my eagerness to become one of their pilot.

Does anyone think that this would be a sound approach? Would my age be a factor to join the cadet program? What are the chance of accepting applicant from overseas? And one more silly question but I had to ask ... since I live outside of Hong Kong, if Cathay sends me an invitation to an interview, would they like subsidize a portion of the travel cost?

Thanks,

Ken

fhchiang
20th Jul 2004, 11:57
hmm... if i'm not mistaken,

i'm afraid to tell u that.. you are too old to qualify for sponsorship program....

if so..

there's only one more route.. self-sponsor...

Siu-K
20th Jul 2004, 19:11
Thanks fhchiang.

So what should be the logical path if I want to become a pilot for a commercial airline?

Anyone?

skyman68
20th Jul 2004, 20:18
i sent my CV to cathay since 1997. and nothing!

if you are not born in hong kong or have 500h of airbus,...few chance

yyzdub
21st Jul 2004, 18:52
Well I don't know whose right and whose wrong but here's a bit of info for you re: CX

A friend of mine who is a UK citizen and Hong Kong resident recently attended an interview with CX - last week - for the cadetship.

He's 29
CPL MEIR
and a graduate and post graduate degree...

so... who knows maybe there is hope for you!

Siu-K
21st Jul 2004, 19:25
Thanks for the info, yyzdub. It is encouraging.

Besides sponsorship programs, what other route do people take to get the qualification to be a commercial airline pilot?

geh065
22nd Jul 2004, 06:42
There is no age limit for the cadet scheme, however the older you are the harder it will be for you to get in, and therefore you must show better skills than those younger than you in order to have a chance.

calvinau
3rd Dec 2005, 09:19
I tell u what...........CX is not looking for talented people! they are looking for people who has passion to enter this industry and treat pilot as a life time career. so ur age doesn't matter!

but if u are not living in Hong Kong........ then it's hard to prove that u have the heart of Hong kong lor............

Danny_manchester
3rd Dec 2005, 10:27
Hi people, is cathay looking for new pilots in the sponsorship programme? i mean with no experiance? Is there any way a british guy would be accepted onto the programme?

thanks people.

clearfortheoption
3rd Dec 2005, 10:58
From the CX website: We currently fly to 90 destinations around the world. Our new home – Hong Kong International Airport, is open 24 hours and handles over 600 arrivals and departures each day. Our fleet of over 80 aircraft – one of the world's youngest, includes the most advanced models from Boeing and Airbus.

To demonstrate our commitment to Hong Kong, and with an eye towards our future, we introduced the Cadet Pilot Programme in 1988. This meticulously designed programme, open only to Hong Kong Permanent Resident, has already put over 250 dynamic individuals into the cockpits of our aircraft.

Our selection process and training programme are rigorous. You need not have previous flying experience, but you should be ambitious and enthusiastic. This is a career path with a goal to becoming a Captain, and the chance to be a very important member of our team........................................................ ..................ALSO:Joining our Cadet Pilot Programme means committing yourself to an exacting and exciting career with one of the most admired airlines in the world. The responsibilities and the ensuing rewards are enormous. This could well be your chance to fulfil those childhood dreams of flying. Find out more. Apply now.

To qualify for our Cadet Pilot Programme, you must be at least 18 years old and a Hong Kong permanent resident. You must be at least 1.6m tall, be physically fit, and possess an excellent command of English. The minimum educational standards we require are:

5 passes in HKCEE / GCSE (O Level), including Physics and Mathematics, together with 2 passes in HKAL / GCE A Level, preferably in Science
OR

a Degree or Diploma in any discipline (or the equivalent educational standard obtained overseas)

Best of luck CFTO:cool:

wongtaisin
6th Dec 2005, 10:44
but if u are not living in Hong Kong........ then it's hard to prove that u have the heart of Hong kong lor............

please make sure it's correct before posting. Many cadets are NOT living in HK, though they have rights of abode in HK.

tomcatrl
6th Dec 2005, 14:28
Siu-K

29 is not too old to apply, there were Cadets who were 30 years old. But at the same time, expect they will challenge you why you apply of CPP so late, in stead of 10 years while their requirement is pretty much high school grad.

Beside, CPP isn't looking for future pilot, they are also looking for future Captain. If you are unable to do that, they have a lot of replacement ready to take your seat. Consider they just fire 10 SO b/c they can't move up the ladder, some were their own Cadets, too. So keep that in mind.

And in terms of self-sponsor to become a pilot, you can always go for flight college in your province. It will be cheaper then do it yourself. But in that case, it will be little harder to become airline pilot, b/c you may become 10 years older than the guy share the same experience.