PDA

View Full Version : Flight suit or not?

discobeast
20th Jul 2004, 01:54
Just wondering how many pilots fly with flight suits? Do you prefer it to “civilian clothing” or not? And why?

I understand that the military guys wear them all the time but it would be interesting to hear from all pilots.

belly tank
20th Jul 2004, 02:18
I do wear a flight suit a 2 peice during firefighting ops and other low level ops such as powerline work. its also a mandatory piece of PPE when working for some authorities such as fire serices.

I have had mine for about 3 years its a nomex blend and it lightweight and cool.

a worthwhile piece of kit. if your interested have a look at

www.sisleyclothing.com.au

rotorboy
20th Jul 2004, 03:47
egads, only if they make me... them things are Hot....

Hughesy
20th Jul 2004, 05:12
I wear my Nomex pair mainly when doing sling training, keeps me getting my civvies dirty when lying on the ground, hooking the load on for the student. ( nice instructor huh)
Also when doing commercial jobs like frost protection on the vineyards.
Hughesy

Dynamic Component
20th Jul 2004, 05:37
I use to wear a one piece flight suit for all operations.It had the company logo on and looked very profesional.
Since I imigrated I only wear flight suits for aerial work such as powerline and fires.
Do miss the old flight suit.

dzeroplus
20th Jul 2004, 07:23
I wear a Sisley Clothing Nomex mix, the lightest weight possible, for anything but flight training (seems to spook the students!).

I can highly recommend Matthew at Sisley Clothing for service, price and quality of product.

I have had two suits for a couple of years and they are still like new.

Just make sure you follow the sizing instructions carefully.

John Eacott
20th Jul 2004, 07:29
Ditto the Sisley flight suits, we use the two piece which is far more comfortable, especially out of the aircraft during hot weather.

Re dzeroplus comment on the lightest weight fabric: this is not the coolest blend, since it has a high proportion of a non breathing material. Talk to Matthew, for hot weather a heavier fabric is actually cooler due to venting characteristics :ok:

Ascend Charlie
20th Jul 2004, 07:39
I hate one-piece suits ever since I needed to take a dump in the middle of winter - everything has to come off to do the deed.

Two-piece lets the top stay warm, and has a more natural look as well. Summer time, remove the top while you roll drums around, do refuels etc.

Jets require a one-piece as a 2-piece can get ripped off in an ejection.

A fighter pilot friend, wearing the dreaded one-piece, once managed to take a dump while in the confines of a Mirage during a long transit leg as number four. Got the seat belts, Mae West, g-suit and top part of the suit all down to ankle level, did the deed in his flying glove, put it all back on and strapped in again. Then looked for his 3 mates, and found out he had missed a turning point some time before. Bit of a scramble to find them and catch up again!

belly tank
20th Jul 2004, 09:14
Ascend Charlie!

I had a good laugh at your post!!!! great stuff!

so have you found out what happened to the glove! maybe it may have become a golf club cover?!! Excellent post i agree with the 2 piece option its far less messy when your in the bush when doing the DUMP! no arms to get in the way!!

cheers

BT

currawong
20th Jul 2004, 13:02
Overalls - yup

Helmet - yup

Boots - yup

Nomex gloves - yup

Canopy knife in overalls leg pocket - yup

Ever needed?

YUP!

Never had to crap in my glove though. Had some near misses with the top half of the overalls during the squat...

20th Jul 2004, 16:15
No-one who has ever seen the result of an aircraft fire on a human body would want to wear anything but a quality nomex flying suit with good cotton underwear regardless of the OAT, plus gloves, helmet and boots. Ask a coroner or a SAR crewman what they think!

CyclicRick
20th Jul 2004, 18:04
I wear a flying suit whenever I can (as said before it keeps my civvies clean if nothing else aswell), gloves and boots too and I'd wear my old issue helmet if I could get the bloody mic to work in any of our cabs!
Do any of you have to put up with cabs without shoulder harnesses? I hate getting into any of them (our 206's), it makes me feel very vulnerable to say the least but the boss just won't put them in.

B Sousa
20th Jul 2004, 18:31
Dam.........The Glove Story takes first prize.....We should have a thread about the most unusual like event during flight.

Anyway, most government contracts in the state require full nomex, no matter what the climate. Lots of the guys use Military surplus stuff as the new ones are very expensive.
They all stink and are not very comfortable in hot weather or fire work, but its something you have to deal with.
So when requred yes, when not required,maybe ..........

High Nr
20th Jul 2004, 22:11
Some suits will have the
"Cleaning Maintenance" label still attached.
If yours does not, then do some research into how your suit is to be cleaned.

Any Washing, Ironing, Tumble drying and Dry Cleaning will degrade the Nomex portion of the mix, and then the suit looks fine but will offer a false sense of security.

Comfort be damd, give me the highest Nomex mix thank you, as I have now seen the result of three "survivable" accidents where burns were the cause of death.

Bad medicine
20th Jul 2004, 23:22
I've been peripherally involved in a fair bit of research on the care and feeding of Nomex. Washing is OK as long as it is done properly. It should be washed in a synthetic, clear, liquid detergent, and either on its own, or with other Nomex. Tumble drying on warm is OK. Normal ironing is OK.

Fading of the colour is not an indicator of reduced protection.

Cheers,

BM

Capt HM Murdock
21st Jul 2004, 05:16
So, the consensus of opinion is that everybody should wear a flight suit with the associated extras helmet, gloves, and cotton underwear

Mr Selfish has already given us his opinion, so how many flight instructors actually wear the at the very least a flight suit and/or helmet for every flight?

rotorboy
21st Jul 2004, 06:07
Give me a break... Some of you guys obviously dont work in the real world. Or just think you look cool or chicks will dig ya in the flight suit!

Flight instructing in a flight suit is silly. Besides being too hot,it is just a show of status, and in general, quite funny. You have a better chance of burning in your car or sparking the fuel pump at the petrol station with your cell phone than you do in a helicopter accident. I would like to see the stats of serious injury due to burning vs other injuries caused in helicopter accidents. Most fatal's and serious injurys (head) could have been helped or mitigated with a use of a helmet. Same goes for 4 point and even three point harnesses vs lap belts. Thats a whole other thread though. Dont get me started on flight instructors and helmet's, it s already been beat to death.

If really made that much of a difference or the risk was that great why dosent all industry wear a suit. Why doesnt the FAA require suits? Why not eng, why dont all ems programs, Tours, why not all charter ops? why not in the gulf? If it is that imortant why shouldnt all passengers where nomex every time they fly? Should he pilots have more protection than the people they carry? How about in Airplanes, (small planes)?

I do understand the importance of Nomex in certian situations. I think alot of this splills over from the Military. But I am not getting shot at, at leat that I know of!
Most people dont wash it right, buy it used or dont even use it right. This can really diminish the effective ness of nomex.How many of you who wear nomex wear a barrier garment made of natural fiber under the Nomex? Does it cover all the skin?
The Us Army made a very graphic training video of a rapid refuling accident where a black hawk was fueling, and caught fire. The crew was severly burnt. What I got out of it was, the importance of natual fibers vs syntheic, (nylon will melt into your skin) and barrier graments. So I wear a cotton under shirt under cotton or wool.

The only realy plus I see is all the pockets for survival gear. It is a proven fact that after an accident usually the only gear a person ends up with is the stuff they are wearing. I wear a mustang vest alot. The pockets are chocked with flares, smoke bomb, hat, mirror, lighter, power bar,crap like that. But I work in some of the remotest country North America, certianly I wouldnt wear that flying Eng in La.

Gloves - Ill take the risk, they come off too much when I have to fiddle with radios anyway...

I did buy a Nomex fleece, just cause i tend to be hanging out the door alot, it gets cold !!. It see's more use around the camp fire then anything else! You dont get the burn/melt marks like you do in my good patagonia one!

:E

Ok just stirring the pot a little.:E

RB:cool:

Red Wine
21st Jul 2004, 07:01
NOMEX® Apparel
The following instructions are for washing NOMEX® fabric only. Keep this in mind when laundering Hatch products containing other materials in addition to NOMEX®. All Hatch gloves should be hand-washed and air-dried.

Your NOMEX® apparel should be kept clean to eliminate contamination from any other chemicals or fibers, which may compromise the flame resistant characteristics. Paint, oils and other flammable chemicals can pose a significant hazard if they are not removed from the garment.

Garments of NOMEX® should be washed separately from other articles. This will help prevent contamination of lint from other fibers, which may be flammable.

Regular household laundry detergent may be used to wash NOMEX® Apparel. Tests show that detergents designed for use at a temperature of 140°F (60°C) or less adequately clean NOMEX® and will provide the best color retention.

Do not use chlorine bleach on NOMEX® Apparel. Only oxygen-based bleach should be used. Chlorine bleach will not diminish the flame resistant characteristics of NOMEX®, but it may cause the fabric to lose strength and color over time.

NOMEX® may machine dried. It is best to use a low temperature setting. A temperature setting between 140°F (60°C) and 160°F (71°C) is sufficient to dry garments quickly and thoroughly while preventing excessive shrinking and color loss.

Ascend Charlie
21st Jul 2004, 07:24
One of the less pleasant aspects of nomex is the static buildup. How many of you have whipped off the suit, dropped it towards the floor, and found it still clinging to you?

An Oz army pilot was refuelling a Kiowa and was covered in Avtur in a spill. He quickly doused himself in lots of water, and carefully removed the suit, but it still sparked and caught fire. He avoided injury, but it is a scary tale.:eek:

Winnie
22nd Jul 2004, 16:38
I do wear flight suit, helmet and gloves every flight, and I'm a flight Instructor. If the girls/boys find the bag attractivce and tom cruise, well so be it (I doubt they think that when they see me, if you look at my name...)

My suit is Cotton right now, but I'll be back to my Nomex shortly. I got two for free from my company...:ok:

gadgetguru
26th Jul 2004, 12:02
in regards to 1 or 2 piece
i can relate to bellytank's & ascend charlie's response

might be a little off topic with this one, but i recall being on exercise in NT with armoured support, on of the APC crewman wanders off into the scrub with his entrenching tool & toilet roll over his shoulder & rifle in hand.

a few minutes later he returned with his rifle, e-tool, his boots & a smile.

seems he didn't quite arrange his tank suit prior to "jettisoning his package"
it wasn't until he had finished his business & turned around to fill in his 'catscrape' that he realised something was definitley missing...needless to say he deposited more than just organic waste that day.

Perhaps a 1 piece flight suit might be inherently susceptable to a similar predicament if you weren't too careful, & of course if you have appropriate ablutions at your disposal, this reduces the risk factor substantially.

Bravo 99 (AJB)
26th Jul 2004, 16:25
well this is an issue that could run for a while.

I currently fly with flight suite and, during my time when instructing flew with the white shirt and tie. out of choice flight suite and alpha 200 every time clearly there are issues relating to passengers and there thinking on this but for low level ops (ie training and other duties like pipe patrol wire ems police ops etc) i would have thought it to be essential rather that anything other. image who cares is it saves you lifewhen things hit the fan then its worth it and well if it gets the females going (which i dought) its a bonus.

you all have different views on this but if it was a choice of for or against i am for every time.

Sincerely

Bravo 99 (AJB)

27th Jul 2004, 06:55
If everyone is so sure that a helmet and a flight suit is not required in a helicopter then why do you bother strapping in - you are clearly not going to crash/roll over/catch fire so it's a bit pointless. Do you wear seat belts in a car? do you buy the latest models with airbags/crash protection etc?
I have been in an R22 that rolled over, wearing civvy clothes, a headset and a 3 point harness - apart from banging my head, the smell of fuel was enough to make me wish I had been kitted out the same way as when I fly in the military.
It's no good looking cool in your shorts and T shirts when it all goes wrong - I can buy another flying suit/helmet/pair of gloves but not new skin/skull/fingers. Dress to survive!

bellsux
27th Jul 2004, 09:59
I think that the size 9 Wellies and the Swandri's they wear here in the South Island of Un Zud is rather dashing..

Darren999
27th Jul 2004, 19:52
Enjoyed the gloves story.. cracked me up.

I teach in a Bell 47 and I did find with helmet, flight suit and boots on, and doors off!! it's bloody warm in there!!! it's like a mini green house! it's just as bad when your airbourne too!!
I fly now in the shorts and shirt atire, but do agree if it was to go all horribly wrong, not the best to wear, but practical given the circumstances

Good thread with good suggestions mind you..

Darren

wishtobflying
28th Jul 2004, 01:50
http://web2.airmail.net/amirado/copter/dicdeed4.htm

Another "deed in the air" story, but this one about a Cobra not a Mirage.

The rest of his stories on that site are pretty good too ... enjoy! :ok:

offshoreigor
30th Jul 2004, 02:25
IMHO

If the customer wants me to wear pink tights and ballet shoes (fire retardent ofcourse) I will.

In the real world, what you wear is governed by the customer which leads me to believe that most of the posts come from non-offshore personnel.

Cheers, :eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

belly tank
30th Jul 2004, 14:30
Offshore...

my wardrobe changes daily!!...some days i may be flying corporates around where i wear the tie and pressed shirt. then the next i may be doing powerline survey where the customer requires us to wear helmet an flight suit.. so again it depends on what your doing i think....mind you the chicks dig the flight suit and helmet attire though!!!!

cheers

Bravo 99 (AJB)
31st Jul 2004, 07:16
Hi belly tank

Well it stricks me the chicks are hot in the out back every post we discuss they seem to be on heat over your end of the world i think i am going to have to move.

the buggers over here are just plane dull. (well the ones i have met )

but as you say flight suite is customer orientated but i think its a must hot that it may be but if is saves you skin great.

sincerely

Bravo 99 (AJB)

PS

i will try wearing to the pub shortly and see if it helps get the girls going (it must be worth a try for and old fart like me.)

keep you posted

SASless
1st Aug 2004, 04:47
I have flown in everything from barefoot and swimtrunks with earmuff noise suppressers, to exposure suit, nomex, and helmet. I have sat in a fire and had my nomex burned off up to my knees and had the nomex gloves burn off. Nomex is cool stuff...but only delays the inevitable if you are in a real fire...at least when clean...it does not tend to stick to you like a polyester suit does.

For fire protection...you are about as safe in cotton or wool as you are in nomex....operative word....about. The helmet will surely save you from injury or incapacitation that could otherwise be fatal.

Given a choice....I will still fly in my sneaks...shorts...and tee shirt with a collar (keeps the shoulder harness from rubbing)....and with a good headset. Most mishaps are of such a degree that kevlar underwear does you little good...when a blade or something critical lets go.....and you are zipping along at more than a low hover....you pretty well become a statistic with no hope of telling stories.

anjouan
1st Aug 2004, 21:05
The helicopter guys in Cameroun used to wear very tasteful orange coveralls closely (or actually, looking at the fit, extremely losely) modelled on those the street cleaners wore (except much worse fitting and probably costing 10 times as much). At least they were mostly fabricated from (very cheap) cotton. The fixed wing pilots were wearing a tasteful combination of 100% nylon tan trousers (held up by tasteful 100% plastic belts, with a buckle incorporating the company logo) and delightful, sweat-absorbing white shirts in a super 70%polyester/30% cotton mix. You could tell the management were really caring about the appearance and safety of the crews :yuk:

moosp
31st May 2005, 16:26
Just resurrecting this thread over a recent transaction. You hear a lot of stuff about service but here is one that takes some beating.

I rang Sisley Clothing at around 14.30 their time on Monday to order a flight suit. They did not have it in stock, so Matthew said they would make one. I said it was a rush job and he said he would try for Wednesday. I have heard today that it was picked up by DHL on Tuesday afternoon for delivery to HKG.

The make up included embroidery of the name tag.

We have tailors in Hong Kong that boast of a suit in 24 hours, but a Nomex flight suit to measure, out of Australia? I am seriously impressed with the service.

Not a plug mods, just the facts.