PDA

View Full Version : Helo crash Wodonga Aus - one dead

Time Out
19th Jul 2004, 15:07
A man has died in a helicopter crash, south of Wodonga on the Victoria-New South Wales border.

Emergency crews were called to the accident at McDonald's Hill just after 3pm AEST.

It is believed the helicopter was being used for agricultural purposes.

Police are yet to confirm the number of people on board and whether the dead man was the pilot. source (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200407/s1157279.htm)

A MAN has died in a helicopter accident in Victoria.

Police believe the male pilot died when his small helicopter hit powerlines at a property in the Black Ranges, near Wodonga, in the state's north-east.

Paramedics were called to the accident about 3.10pm (AEST) today.

"The pilot was the only occupant and was deceased at the scene," a Rural Ambulance spokeswoman said.
source (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10182738%255E1702,00.html)

deeper
19th Jul 2004, 22:26
Sad to say it was GC for those who know him. He was in his Soloy 47 spraying when it hit a wire.

To add to the sadness his wife is in hospital giving birth.

R.I.P. G

TomOz
20th Jul 2004, 00:36
RIP Guy. I'll miss you mate.

Tom.

Lowlevldevl
20th Jul 2004, 22:57
Just heard about Guy 30 mins ago, am shocked by this terrible tragedy. Guy was a terrific bloke. Enthiusiastic about his industry, he brought a fresh outlook and a number of clever, innovative ideas. I worked for Guy a little over a year ago and was very impressed with his positive attitude and sense of fair play. This must be a terrible blow for his family but I know they are very close and staunch country folk. My thoughts are with them especially Edwina at this time.
Farewell Guy,
Don B

Auschick
21st Jul 2004, 01:14
RIP Guy...thoughts and condolences to his family.

MPT
12th Oct 2005, 01:03
Final ATSB Report here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occurs/occurs_detail.cfm?ID=655)

Time Out
15th Oct 2005, 16:39
From the ATSB report:

SAFETY ACTION

Previous relevant safety action

As a result of previous wirestrike occurrence BO/200404285, the following relevant safety actions have been implemented:

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

On 31 January 2005, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) convened a round table discussion to consider potential safety activities relating to the conduct of aerial work in proximity to power cables. The participants in that discussion included representatives from relevant industry associations and other bodies and affected Government departments and agencies.

CASA had commenced planning to facilitate a conference in September 2005 involving relevant industry associations and other bodies and affected Government departments and agencies to further progress those safety issues confronting aerial work operations that were identified during the 31 January 2005 round table discussions. However, on 14 July 2005, CASA advised the Australian Transport Safety Bureau that due to funding constraints and minimal financial support from those organisations approached to support the conference, the conference would not go ahead. CASA advised further that the Authority would continue to work with the Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia and other relevant organisations in order to progress the safety issues affecting the potential for wire strikes to occur in the aerial work industry.

Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia Limited

The Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia Limited has nominated to be included in the Standards Australia committee responsible for the development of the standards affecting the mapping and marking of power cables and their supporting structures.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau action

As a result of recent helicopter wirestrike accidents, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau has commenced a research project that is examining wire strikes in the Australian aviation industry. The report is expected to be complete before the end October 2005, and will be published on the ATSB website www.atsb.gov.au or be available from the Bureau on request.

I'd really like to think that some positive action would come out of this tragedy.

TheStormyPetrel
21st Oct 2005, 14:33
Seems like ATSB links have changed (re-vamped site?) so the link to this one is now here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2004/AAIR/aair200402669.aspx)