PDA

View Full Version : DJ diversion to Avalon

nightrider.au
19th Jul 2004, 06:15
This morning I was on DJ361 from Melbourne to Hobart that was caught by the fog. From looking at the Melbourne Airport website it appears we were to be the first domestic flight into MEL this morning. On what I think was final approach, we diverted to Avalon (where we sat for two hours before flying back to Tullamarine). The flight crew were wonderful and it wasn't as traumatic as it sounds. :)

My question is this: were we the first DJ flight ever to fly into Avalon? We were joined ten minutes after we landed by DJ601 (from Launceston).

It was interesting as it took the ground staff a little while to find some steps for the 737. Flight from Avalon to Tullamarine took fifteen minutes from take off to landing (which surprised me - I thought it would be shorter).

We weren't allowed to disembark and remained on the aircraft until we go to Melbourne.

Any thoughts on this?

Has the arrival of JetStar into Avalon provided Virgin with a closer diversion point? :)
(an unintended bonus for Virgin?)

nightrider.au
19th Jul 2004, 06:42
I saw a JetStar flight arrive not too long after we arrived, so that must be the flight you were referring to.

But has any other Virgin flight ever operated to Avalon before? (eg. as a diversion or for maintenance)

I'm hoping someone can confirm we were the first Virgin aircraft to land at Avalon. :)

GT-R
19th Jul 2004, 07:48
Mate who gives a rat's testicle? :rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
19th Jul 2004, 08:08
I'm sure there's been plenty of Virgins at Avalon. Now, if you went to Valhalla, that'd be a story!!!

TIMMEEEE
19th Jul 2004, 08:17
Nightrider.au

The flight crew were wonderful and it wasn't as traumatic as it sounds.

Traumatic as it sounds?
You make a simple and relatively easy diversion sound like a moonshot rather than the very basic manoeuvre it is.

So what's so traumatic about a diversion nightrider??

Capt Claret
19th Jul 2004, 08:17
Saw a great bumper sticker in town this morning........

Australia's not a VIRGIN
The Government :mad: it!

:E

nightrider.au
20th Jul 2004, 01:53
Traumatic might have been an overstatement....but spending nearly four hours in an aircraft when you expected to spend only one is a little annoying. ;) Especially when you miss your first two meetings of the day.

I discovered a couple of photos of the aircraft on the ground at Avalon this morning - and was surprised to see a photo of me.

http://www.rwy34.com/search/bigpic.php?id=3819

I'm standing in the door of the aircraft - I know its me because I was in 1C and spent some time standing in the door way. Also I'm 6'5" so I'm easy to spot. :D

Now you can all recognise me - feel free to say hello. :}

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2004, 02:08
Looks more like a hijacking than a diversion!

Good to see the old Ansett Bedford steps can get it up!

nightrider.au
20th Jul 2004, 02:10
I'm pretty sure that some pax would have liked to hijack the plane to its schedulled destination. ;)

No Further Requirements
20th Jul 2004, 02:24
Yes, it was diversion city here yesterday, mainly becuase I believe the fog wasn't on the TAF and no one had much holding fuel. There were quite a number of domestics diverted to Canberra and internationals to Sydney. A couple of turbos dropped into Albury for extra fuel too. Would love to have seen a photo of the ramp at Canberra - would have been chockers! Cheers,

NFR.

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2004, 04:01
Would love to have seen a photo of the ramp at Canberra - would have been chockers!
Yeah, but the taxi rank would still have been empty!:mad:

apacau
20th Jul 2004, 04:05
CBR got 7 domestic diversions. All 737s bar one 763 which parked over the other side of the airport on the old RAAF apron.

nightrider.au
20th Jul 2004, 05:34
But getting back to my original question - were these the first Virgin aircraft to land at Avalon? Can I claim to be on the first Virgin aircraft to land there? :)

Disco Stu
20th Jul 2004, 05:57
nightrider, I am a bit confused by your opening line
"This morning I was on DJ361 from Melbourne to Hobart "
UNQUOTE

What was the explanation from DJ for ending up at Avalon when you were apparently going to Hobart. Or is this some kind of Tasmanian thing.

It's not all that important but seeing as how I might have no alternative to travel with DJ in the future, I would like to think they do know what they are doing:confused:

Disco Stu:ugh:

Reverseflowkeroburna
20th Jul 2004, 09:44
nightrider,

Are you The "nightrider" out of the "Mad Max" films??

You do sound a lot like him!:} :} :}

As for being on the virgin Virgin..........you can claim whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside!!!!

I think GT-R summed-up the importance of it.............:zzz:

VMCA
21st Jul 2004, 03:14
More importantly, was this the first time Virgin parked nose to nose at Avalon.:ok:

TheNightOwl
22nd Jul 2004, 03:22
nightrider.au - I've just this minute spoken to the skipper of 361, who has asked me to pass on his thanks for the url link. He will pass it further to the skipper of 601, VH-VBI.

The Linfox groundcrew advised him that, to the best of their knowledge, no DJ a/c has landed at YMAV before, hence no 737 stairs available, and the reliance on the AN 3-ton Bedford!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:ok: