PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Sweatshop

Mr.Buzzy
19th Jul 2004, 00:24
Anyone see this mornings news programs relating to Jet* operating with a third of the ground staff that both QF and VB use.

I enjoyed the Jet* media statement of "Safety has never been compromised"

Pete Conrad
19th Jul 2004, 03:11
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys, probably explains why half of them can't fly an Airbus too.

beno1
19th Jul 2004, 03:40
Actually JQ use a QF company called EGH to do the ramp work the staff are paid the same as QF ramp staff and receive the same benefits such as travel holidayd ect.

Check-in and terminal staff are employed by JQ directly and are paid the same as DJ but recieve some QF benefits such as travel ect.

Hope this helps

2FarCanard
19th Jul 2004, 04:53
Pete,

Your statement is inaccurate. Considering that at most 20 pilots have done the endorsement i would say 90% of "them" don't know how to fly it.

Johhny Utah
19th Jul 2004, 05:24
In light of beno1's comments, perhaps the thread should be renamed:

"Virgin Blue sweatshop" perhaps...?:rolleyes:

Wirraway
19th Jul 2004, 06:49
Mon "The Australian"

Jetstar accused on safety of staff
By Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
July 19, 2004

JETSTAR ground crew were facing "sweatshop conditions", with shifts of up to 19 hours and the number of workers per aircraft as little as a third of manning levels at competitor Virgin Blue, union officials said yesterday.

The Transport Workers Union has asked NSW workplace safety agency WorkCover to investigate conditions at Qantas subsidiary Express Ground Handling after a worker fell off the rear of a Jetstar aircraft and injured his arm while loading luggage in Sydney last Wednesday.

The incident was the second ground handling problem at Jetstar since the low-cost operator began flying in late May.Last month, a Boeing 717 damaged its front entry door at Sydney airport when it reversed away from the terminal with the aerobridge still in position.

In the latest safety scare, the Transport Safety Bureau has requested a full report from the pilots of a Jetstar and a Qantas plane allegedly involved in a near miss at Queensland's Hamilton Island on Saturday.

The TWU says it wants Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon to investigate what it says are deteriorating conditions at the ground handling subsidiary.

It says safety, training, manning levels and systems of work at EGH are all causes for concern and that it is worried the problems are part of a push to reduce conditions across the industry.

But Jetstar denied yesterday that there were safety concerns and said it was satisfied with the way EGH was operating.

"Safety is just simply not compromised," Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said.

Qantas also emphasised its commitment to safety and denied that its subsidiary was working outside its enterprise bargaining agreement.

The stoush over ground handling comes as Jetstar is due today to officially add the first 177-seat Airbus A320 to its fleet, after receiving Civil Aviation Safety Authority clearance on Friday.

TWU official Glenn Nightingale said Jetstar's low fares were coming at the price of exploited and injured workers as well as the safety and security of passengers.

Mr Nightingale said Virgin Blue and Qantas used six workers a plane to unload baggage and freight but that EGH at one stage had six workers handling three Jetstar aircraft.

"It's the epitome of exploitation of workers under sweatshop conditions," Mr Nightingale said.

"It's only a matter of when someone will be killed. Essentially, you have six workers doing the work of what should be 18 workers, with horrendous shifts of 19 hours' duration straight."

In contrast, he said, "Virgin's a low-cost structure and operates with correct manning levels and the appropriate team-based support".

Attempts to obtain comment from EGH were unsuccessful but Qantas spokesman Michael Sharp said the airline was surprised the union had gone to the media without raising the problems with the airline.

Mr Sharp said the number of people used to unload an aircraft varied, depending on several factors.

He said that, on average, Virgin might use five people, while EGH would use four.

Mr Sharp said EGH was boosting the number of ground handling workers.

However, new staff needed to undergo compulsory training and mandatory security checks.

"Everything has to be done according to the book and obviously it is," he said.

===========================================

Ozgrade3
19th Jul 2004, 15:57
This report by the TWU is a typical union beatup, making something out of nothing and sticking their noses in where its not warrented. Mr Nightingale knows nothing of what he's talking about. The TWU should learn when to butt out otherwise everyone will end up under the conditions we do in my own shonky outfit(the ground handling company..not the airline). I dont work for EGH.

Express Ground Handlings training has been first class

Their equipment is all new, tugs, dollies, cans. aircraft, FMC's, the works.

They get a good base rate, plus penalty rates, NIL10's etc, meal allowances, travel allowances, etc etc etc.

True some guys are doing 19 hr shifts, in some cases on NIL10's so the whole shift is at double time......and staff travel on top.

They currently have 8 vacant roster lines that will be filled next week or the week after. Interviews have been conducted and jobs offers should be made this week.

If thats a sweatshop, where do I sign up.

Mr.Buzzy
20th Jul 2004, 01:15
True some guys are doing 19 hr shifts, in some cases on NIL10's so the whole shift is at double time......and staff travel on top.

And since when has a 19 hour shift ( without rest ) been either acceptable or safe!

The point is not that people are unhappy to work ridiculuous hours at double pay ( we have all wanted a few extra bucks for whatever reason.) The point is that at some point the company should be saying "Right.... its not humanly possible for you to be functioning safely...... Go home!"

cunninglinguist
20th Jul 2004, 02:23
Spot on Ozgrade, the TWUs idea of a " sweatshop " is working more than 30 hours a week for less than $1000:hmm:

I know for a fact similar practices occur in QF, having a few mates that are baggies in search of the elusive dollar. There are no restrictions placed on them ( rightly or wrongly ) and it is not unusual to do 2 shifts in a 24 hour period, as well as working in excess of 7 days, on RDOs etc.

I'm sure their hourly rate is probably higher than Jetstars, and therein lies the problem, with relation to the complaints.

Almost forgot, there is a big difference between being at your place of work for 19 hours and working for 19 hours.

pullock
20th Jul 2004, 03:21
Actually I agree with the union.

When two people perform an entire turnourund from receiving the aircraft, chocking it, unloading the baggage, then reloading the bagage, servicing the duny and water, then pushing it out - it's a sweatshop.

Then at the end of the day these same poor blokes are expected to clean the aircraft. Sweatshop.

OG3, your job is so much easier than what these poor EGH people are putting up with , your comparatively working at a holiday camp. Sorry mate!!

Also I dont know where you got the first class training idea from, because from what I saw it was second rate, rushed and disorganised.

IIII IIII
20th Jul 2004, 05:33
Its always sad to see the safety mantra used to push an industrial agenda. The end result can only be the reduction of safety standards in the industry. The exact opposite to what the TWU claims to be pursuing.

pullock
20th Jul 2004, 06:51
What I find amusing is that these days in aviation safety is becoming a dirty word, and the safety as a dirty word mantra is what companies are pushing as an industrial agenda to reduce costs. It won't stop until there is a bodycount.

Ozgrade3
20th Jul 2004, 14:12
Pullock, you have no idea what you're talking about. I work alongside the Jetstar/EGH guys all day everyday. I see how they do things, and get feedback from several former coleagues who now work for EGH. I have no reason do doubt their word. In fact there is about to be a mass exodus to EGH based on the rcomendations from those that have already jumped ship.

"OG3, your job is so much easier that what those poor guys at EGH have t put up with".............mate what planet are you on!!!. To start, at EGH you get a meal allowance, we get docked 30 mins for a meal break even if we have worked right through. Split shifts, some of our guys are at the airport for 12 hrs and only get paid for 6, same daily rate round the clock during the weekday, somewhat higher on the weekend but not much. We have 80+ movements a day, also turn around a 727F, horse corral, bizjet serviceing etc etc. Frequently I finish at 2am and back up at 6.30 am. On top of that we have management that is virtualy at war with the workforce.

Oh and we have to cough up the $50 deposit ourselves for the new ASICS.

Express ground handling is CLUB MED compared with what we put up with.

By the way I am yet to see 2 people do a 717 turn around. But as tey say "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Angle of Attack
21st Jul 2004, 09:37
Geez, you guys like to bag the unions... with all the garbage coming out of the company's mouths these days why bag the union for a little complaining? They are just playing the game like everyone else, give them a break, thats whats given this country such good working conditions for most jobs, ( excluding jet* and virgin of course) and thats just where it shines out, with out a union say goodbye to conditions boys....just my 1/2 cent worth, and ive been unionised for more than 10 years with 3 unions, and have had no problems with salary.

HGW
21st Jul 2004, 09:58
Ozgrade 3

I know who you work for and you bring it on yourselves. Not one of you would join the union to stop the crap conditions you work under.
Have you noticed that every other ground handler, even EGH, are covered by a union backed EBA. You can do something about it.

ditzyboy
21st Jul 2004, 11:56
pullock -
Lav/water servicing is done once a day only. Or on request if required. I have not seen or heard of it being request ad hoc.

I do however agree with your "bodycount" comment. But that's aviation in general, in my opinion.

Hempy
22nd Jul 2004, 08:10
OK Rambo, so you would have companies decide what is a fair wage and what are fair working conditions?
Granted, some of the Trade Unions in Australia haven't done themselves any favours in the past, but given the choice between being a Union member and working 18 hour days for $3.75/hr, I know who I'm with.

p.s see you next "name"