PDA

View Full Version : C210 Down near Rand

beckers
18th Jul 2004, 17:38
Hi All

Apparently an aircraft crashed near Rand airport today. 4 people killed. Probably a C210. Heard it may have been coming back from a farm strip and ran out of fuel. Anyone with any info??

Cheers
MB

Found some info

C210n ZS-KVY

Hunting trip ends in tragedy as three die in air crash

The light aircraft crashed into a new bus depot near Rand airport in Germiston

July 18, 2004, 17:04

A return flight from a weekend hunting trip turned into tragedy this afternoon when three people were killed after a light aircraft crashed into a new bus depot near Rand Airport in Germiston. The single engine Cessna Centurion crashed just after 12pm this afternoon.

It appears that the pilot of the aircraft experienced engine trouble as it was making a final approach for landing at the airport. After narrowly missing a busy nearby highway, as well as numerous buildings, the aircraft\'s wing collided with the roof of one of the busses, slinging it to the ground with massive force.

The torn apart engine and cockpit bore the evidence of the impact and wreckage lay strewn for more than 20m.

The pilot, two passengers and a dog on board the plane were killed instantly. Members of the police and civil aviation were on the scene late this afternoon sifting the wreckage for clues.

MicroFlyer
19th Jul 2004, 05:16
Sadly 3 occupants and a dog were killed when a Cessna 210 suffered engine failure while on finals. The aircraft turned out to the right after the engine failure - I assume the pilot wanted to land on the Golf course, as he thought he might not get to the runway. The aircraft was returning from a farm in the Eastern Cape.

A friend and I landed at Rand yesterday - the Cessna that crashed was one aircraft behind us.

Condolences to the families.

R.I.P.

Rand$
19th Jul 2004, 06:35
Are there any more details about this accident? Registration, operator, crew?

It seems unfortunate that aircraft going into Rand are very limited to fields available for forced/emergency landings. Nearly all accicents out of Rand seem to be fatal? or does it just seem that way?

Condoloences to the families.

and cents.

planecrazi
19th Jul 2004, 09:14
Johannesburg - Four men were killed when their light aircraft crashed into a bus depot in Germiston, east of Johannesburg on Sunday, East Rand police said.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Zithini Dlamini said the single engine Cessna Centurion crashed at the Marcopolo bus depot near the Rand Airport around 12:20.

Pilot Robert Guy Fletcher, 55, John Mckenzie and Richard Willus, also both 55-years-old, and Nicholas Paumgarien, 23, were killed in the crash. The men and a dog died instantly.

Dlamini said the men were returning from a weekend hunting trip. It appeared the six-passenger aircraft experienced engine trouble as it was making a final approach for landing at the airport.

After narrowly missing a busy nearby highway, as well as numerous buildings, the aircraft's wing hit the roof of two busses.

Wreckage lay strewn for more than 20m. No one was injured on the ground.

Dlamini said police found nine hunting rifles and some wild geese inside the aircraft.

The next of kin of the deceased, who were from in and around Johannesburg, had been informed and an inquest docket had been opened, she said.

Edited by Jannie Momberg C210 Crash (C210 Crash

MicroFlyer
20th Jul 2004, 07:00
Apparently they landed on the empty tank. I spoke the ATC on duty at the time, and according to the flight plan there were only 3 people onboard - that's what caused the confusion in reports.

It's extremely sad to know that if the engine failure happened on the downwind, they might've been able to initiate a re-start on the correct tank - then again, maybe the cause of the engine failure was mechanical - although I doubt it, as engines don't normally fail on approach at low power, unless it's fuel related.

B Sousa
20th Jul 2004, 18:22
If the above post is true, such a waste. Three people gone and many more who have to live through the loss.

Am I wrong or would this be a checklist item on before landing procedures??

FairPayer
21st Jul 2004, 02:27
I just wanted to say that I knew Guy Fletcher and a nicer person you could not wish to meet. I am so sorry for his wife and young son and of course for those who perished with him.

RIP

John Murray

Alfred Kamara
21st Jul 2004, 07:09
RIP gents.

My thoughts are with all the families envolved.

"we fly the skies together"