PDA

View Full Version : RT required before CPL module commencement (take2)

gabu
18th Jul 2004, 15:52
Firstly two apologies:

1. to the moderator as this is my second post on this subject, but I can’t respond to my original posting the pprune system won't let me (8th July).

2. the time its taken for me to respond to those kind people who made an effort and tried to clarify things for me, but I've been working like a mule on minimum wage doing two jobs (Day & Evening) while I wait for a oil/gas/pertochem job to appear (another industry in a slump). Damn!! I wish I’d done a degree in civils than mechanical considering the job markets at the moment! But that’s another story.

Anyway not to deviate too far, I have a US FAA PPL IR Multi, required hours, 14 passes in the ATPL subjects and just wish to know for the JAR CPL is a pre-requisite before the commencement of the course that I have the appropriate RT certificate or not as I’ve passed the ATPL theory.

Sorry for not explaining things a little clearer earlier, my fault entirely.

Answers on a postcard again folks.

Thanks to all you gents and not forgetting all you sweet ladies!!!

:ok:

moku
18th Jul 2004, 18:57
When I did my CPL/IR from a FAA ATP I completed all my flight training and skills tests before I did the RT exam. You will need to do the RT exam before you send off your documents to Gatwick. There is not a requirement to complete it before you do the training.

M.

skyman68
18th Jul 2004, 19:35
the RT is a big joke. Do not worry, It takes 35minutes in a classroom with a flight instructor to sign you the form. still 20 quids gone!

I know an ex-TWA pilot on the 767 who have thousand hours in the US and who fly now in europe under a validation, he had to do the RT exam.

escuse me, but the CAA really takes everybody for idiots!

Keygrip
19th Jul 2004, 01:51
moku and skyman - BOTH WRONG.

The R/T is required before taking the CPL skill test - not the training - the FLIGHT TEST.

skyman - no, it's not a joke - you just treat it like one.

gabu - the R/T practical must be done with an R/T examiner - not an instructor.

Short answer - you need to pass the R/T before being alloowed to take the skill test for the CPL (unless exempt, of course).

moku
19th Jul 2004, 09:21
KeyGrip.

I did my CPL and IR skills tests without doing a RT test! I even went to the CAA about it and the view from them was as long as I had the paperwork when submitting my documents they were happy.

gabu,

Best make a quick call to the CAA and ask them. I find them to be fairly helpful over the phone with questions like this failing that check out LASORS. The true answer will be there.

M.

LFS
19th Jul 2004, 10:26
In the strict definitions in JAR and LASORS it is only a requirement for an 'applicant' to hold the RT licence. However, I would always encourage students to get all the requirements completed before the skill test.

Keygrip
19th Jul 2004, 14:00
Well, let's put it this way then - as a JAA CPL Flight Examiner, when I was recently met by a CPL flight test candidate, I asked for all the relevant documentation (licence, log book, current JAA Class 1 medical, proof of R/T, proof of night qualification/rating, receipt from CAA for flight test fees, photo I.D.).

The candidate replied that he did not yet have an R/T licence, further probing showed he had not taken the test yet - he was going to do it later.

This did not comply with the list of requirements for a skill test applicant. We telephoned the flight test bookings department of the UK CAA (Gatwick). Their instant response was "No! The candidate is NOT eligible to take the skill test".

This p****d me off somewhat, as I'd travelled three hours to get to the school and they should have known better. I pleaded his case, with my colleagues at the CAA. They went further up the ladder of authority - and it still came back as "No! Not eligible for the flight test".

Candidate postponed his test booking - then in a flash of inspiration we tried the line of "This pilot has an FAA ATP and holds an FCC radio permit - please, please, please can we have a 'one off' dispensation?"

Grudgingly approved - with the strict words, "Do NOT accept another candidate for CPL flight test if they do not have an R/T licence".

LFS
19th Jul 2004, 17:03
Keygrip, if that was the CAA's offical stance then fair enough (as I said I always tell students tom complete all reuquirements before the test). Iwas just going on the (slightly ambiguous) content of LASORS.

gabu
19th Jul 2004, 17:55
Thanks again everybody for the quick response, much appreciated. PPRUNE members have never let me down with all my silly questions from before I stepped into an aeroplane for training, through my ATPL writtens, and are continuing to do so.

Think I going to run with doing the RT just before the I start the CPL module training, if it has to be done then I think that it would be the most suitable point to do so, as it will hone up my RT procedures for the flight check with the CAA examiner.

If anybody has suggestions for suitable CD-ROM material for study prior to the test that would be a tremendous help.

Additionally is there a register of RT licence examiners, unless someone know one in the merseyside region.

Again many thanks

:D

DesiPilot
19th Jul 2004, 18:24
Gabu,

I second Keygrip. As a Head of Training and a 170A signatory, I will not send a student to take a CPL Skill Test unless the student has met all the requirements, which includes RT Practical.

The UK CAA does not require you to hold FRTO (Flight Radio Telephony Operators licence) but a pass in RT Practical.

So if you were to sit your RT Practical with an RT Examiner he will sign your FCL 508 form which will be acceptable to any JAA CPL examiner.

The above mentioned student was one of my student and I learned the hard way. The CAA was very clear, that was the only exemption they were going to make.

Good luck with your flight training and RT practical.

Best Wishes,
:) Jatin

You can find the list of RT examiners at http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1212

<<edit: Nice one Jatin - sorry if it sounded as though I was biting>>

gabu
26th Jul 2004, 14:38
Been busy again, apologies, thanks for the info Jatin.

:ok: