PDA

View Full Version : My 'cost effective' training program?!?

ikea
18th Jul 2004, 13:26
Hey, this could be a bit of a daft post but here is what I propose is the cheapest way of learning up to the ATPL Level,

I hope to get my JAA PPL, Night, Multi Engine Commercial, CFI (multi/instrument) in the USA.

I hope to do my IR in the UK as most IR courses in the US (JAA) require the further cost of converting in the UK. This will also get around the problem of some countries not recognising the IR as it was conducted outsidre a JAR country. I also hope to do my ATPL teory throught disance learning.

This would mean only one return trip to the US (saving on multi return flights, and 6months accommodation whilst I do the ATPL theory).

The only negative thing is that UK IR are mainly done in a simulator (yet it stil costs more than real flying in the USA), but as much FLYING trtaining is done in the US, further saving money.

Can anyone think of any problems I may come accross by doing this? Am i being very naive? Please pick my post to bits-it will help me to sort out any issues/problems I may come accross!

Long Beach CFII
18th Jul 2004, 20:28
You'll spend more money doing that in the US than if you do FAA Private, Instrument, Commercial & Multi then convert to JAA (f)ATPL.

You will save money on the Night Rating and IMC - they don't exist in the US. You would also save money by reducing the number of JAA written tests as you 'only' have to do writtens for the JAA ATPL. FAA Written tests are much different - One each for Private, Instrument, Commercial, Flight Instructor, Flight Instructor Instrument, and only cost $80 - $90 each.

The FAA to JAA Instrument Rating conversion is fairly striaght forward - Written Exams, and 15 hours of training, and as you appear to know find an FTO with a FNTP 2, you'll save money in the UK.

Look into the fees involved with JAA Checkrides, you'll find they equate to about $1200 per check ride. FAA fees run between $250 to $400 per checkride. Also, JAA Schools (in the US) will charge a lot more than an FAA only school - due to JAA Approval process etc.

Due to the weak dollar, it is a great time to do flight training in the US, even if you intend to use it in Europe. Also it could prove to be advantageous to have FAA certificates in Europe, as for example, a lot of Corporate airplanes are N-reg, and based in Europe.

ikea
18th Jul 2004, 22:39
so how many check rides o you think i would need? is it one for each rating i do?