View Full Version : Qantas Start in August/September

newbe20
18th Jul 2004, 05:57
Hello all!

Has anybody received a call for a Qantas start date in either August or September.

It seems that lately everbody is getting an active consideration letter and i was wondering if anything has come of it. Have had the reference checks but heard nothing more. Not even sure how long it takes from the checks.

Anyway, hurry up and wait i guess. Enjoy the low pay and crap conditions while they last!!!:ok:

newbe20
29th Jul 2004, 22:38
back to the top in the hope somebody knows something

Feather #3
4th Aug 2004, 19:39
The Boss announced 8 started the other day.

G'day ;)

newbe20
5th Aug 2004, 01:03
gday feather

was that the 8 on july 26th(?), or something different

Feather #3
5th Aug 2004, 01:28
Yes, that would be about right. Sorry if it's old news.

G'day ;)

C-FTR
6th Aug 2004, 06:12
Went through the Sim, Interview and Medical about 6 weeks ago. Received a letter today advising me that my application is under active consideration. It then went onto say that my file may progress further after Feb 05 also inviting me to send an update at that time to have the file reviewed. I took that to read my file will not progress until I send an update in Feb and then only maybe depending on competition. All told the letter didn't seem too promising, I was wondering if anyone else has recently received a similair response regarding timeframe and whether or not that what I received is standard for the active consideration letters.
:confused:

newbe20
6th Aug 2004, 07:40
thanks for your reply c-ftr and to all the others

received the same letter a couple of weeks (8 or 9 now i think) ago. have posted previous to this all of my time frames, but basically waited 3 days for psych then about 3 weeks later had panel sim medical, then two weeks after that got august 04 act cons letter and had to do mouth xray and security. then 3 weeks after that had ref check done and that was now 6 weeks ago, and counting every minute. this is all top of my head so may be out a couple of days or even a week.

i now understand from pm's and other threads that qf are ditching all (?) of the 767-200 aircraft and therfore the so's are changing fleets and are thus holding up the intakes.

now if i was to be extremely cheeky, i will expect my phone call at the end of this month for my september start date. however, if i was to be sensible, i will sit my fat arse back into the plane and be happy while it lasts.

with regard to your feb 05 letter, my understanding is to NOT expect anything before this date and to update at the end of that month so that recruitment have the latest information on you so i guess they can RE rank you. it seems that from the interview date is where you get your "after ---- Month date". so i had interv early may and got august letter. someone i know had int late may , got sept lett, early jun and got oct letter etc etc.

good luck to you mate, i hope i can shed more light soon!!

seems easier just to befriend a captain and go eslewhere, but hey, its QANTAS, the best airline in the world!!!!!! and worth the wait in my opinion

engine out
6th Aug 2004, 14:35
Don't know of any course dates yet. Was chatting to a cadet today and a group of them finish in the next week or so who dont require industry placement so I'm guessing next course may mainly be cadets. As for 767 S/O's there is only one 200 left but they were only really used for domestic, A330 starts international on Tuesday. No advertised vacancies for type changes for S/O's have been advertised. I think at the moment 767 S/O numbers will be reduced by natural attrition of them taking promotions to other fleets.

C-FTR
6th Aug 2004, 21:33
Thanks newbe 20, best of luck for end of the month. By the way did the info on the history check and dental xray come with the active cons letter or after.
Cheers
C-FTR

newbe20
6th Aug 2004, 22:32
c-ftr

all came in the same pack, but i have heard that it comes within a set time frame of your dated letter, as there is no point in having that info, especially security, 8 months prior to POSSIBLE employment, so dont worry mate...

good luck

where are you .... pm me

Listening Watch
7th Aug 2004, 02:40
Gday

As for datelines.

Stage 2 - MAR 04
Stage 3 - APR 04
Stage 4 - MAY 04

no ref checks yet but received letter with S4 letter stating i may progress after SEP 04.

I have a mate on 767 as SO and he is transferring to A330 (starts training this month). He mentioned 8 other SOs were moving to either 744 or the 330. Thus i would assume little or no intake for August/September (except maybe cadets).

Any way i don't mind waiting for another 6 - 12 months. I have just finished my first week training with Surveillance Australia (whooa what a damn fine outfit). I would really like to work here for a little while prior to moving the the airlines. I don't think i'd be satisfied otherwise. These guys really look after you and the equipment is immaculate.

Good luck to all those on Active Considerations

LW

GAJoe
8th Aug 2004, 02:10
G'day all!

I've had my psych in Feb 04' then Sim/Interview in Mar04' then about 3 weeks later got letter to send Dental and security check form off. Apparently they are waiting for the security check to be completed.

Just wondering if anyone would know why security checks taking so long and why they wouldn't have done the Ref checks!!
:confused: :confused: :ugh:

Cheers

Capt. J
8th Aug 2004, 02:26
GAJoe! You've probably made it in after making it this far. If you have no problems with the security check, you're probably in. Good luck

:ok:

newbe20
8th Aug 2004, 10:16
gajoe

yeh not sure about the ref check bit. i have heard it is the last step. also heard that you are ranked, so i guess it depends on how well you went in sim panel and psych, compared to everybody else. problem is if i kicked arse i will be above you, but if someone interviews better than me tomorrow, they will get the call on wednesday, not me. have had mine ref checked, but that means nothing, or does it???

mates of mine were ref checked last year and got in a couple of months ago.

good luck

Capt. J
8th Aug 2004, 10:29
If you're up to the ref check, you're most likely in. It's just a matter of time when you start. Good luck to you all :ok:

Gods Kitchen
9th Aug 2004, 01:23
Hi all,

Stage 2 - Feb 2003
Stage 3 - June 2003
Stage 4 - Jan 2004

Ref Checks - Feb 2004

Still no start. Just happy to get this far.

Good Luck to everyone

GodsKitchen

takeonme
9th Aug 2004, 09:56
Did anyone else know that the "Qantas selection process" was a subject at high school?

9th Aug 2004, 23:13
GA Joe,
Just took me 5 months to get my security check done, not for QF yet though. The personel who do the checks , and I believe ASIO and DOTARS do them, are backlogged as they have renewed the actual ASIC card. Hope this sheds some light.

Shouldn't be far off.

COFFEE
12th Aug 2004, 01:30
Stage 2 June 04
Stage 3 July 04
Got the letter to send OPG &security checks off with another letter saying possibly late 04.

Seems impossible to predict what goes on!

Gods Kitchen
19th Aug 2004, 04:49
Guys and Girls,

Anyone else with info...

Cheers

GK

avguy1
20th Aug 2004, 09:49
My letter gave no date advising me to update however I was recently contacted and asked to do so. My prediction is 3 more courses for each A/C type for the rest of the year. Starting at the end/start of each month,

newbe200
22nd Aug 2004, 07:40
have heard late december

Ratter
23rd Aug 2004, 05:17
Hi all,

Just need info. I have recently entered the realm of stress in that i have sat psych and skills and now must wait to hear if i progress.

Was just interested in hearing from people regarding the time line in which they heard of their success/failure to progress to the next stage of the process. Is it a correct assumption that the sooner you hear the better you have done? Do you receive a phone call or letter stating your successful progression? If you have waited the full 4 weeks (timeline given) and you have heard nothing then upon contacting them for more info should i expect the worst?

Just interested in other people experiences.

Regards

Ratter.

newbe200
24th Aug 2004, 05:17
ratter, heard in two or three days about the psych but i wouldn't go by that. some people seem to wait longer.

williamsf1, not sure what having one post has got to do with my knowledge of QF or whether i have the right post, but, i hope your info is correct. i also believed that late sept was the go and i hoped to be on as i have aug letter and all checks done, but have heard otherwise as you can see in previous posts as newbe20.

cheers

:ok:

ExcessData
24th Aug 2004, 08:42
Have heard late Sept. Best of luck to all those waiting!

newbe200
26th Aug 2004, 09:00
williams check your pm

avguy1
31st Aug 2004, 11:41
Well there is an A330 Sydney basing course starting on 21 Sep. ;)
AV

Jiminny
2nd Sep 2004, 11:22
Long time reciever, first time transmitter. Have been on the books with QF for quite a while after doing sim & interview mid last year. Got a call yesterday for a start 20 Sep 04, Sydney basing. No info regarding aircraft type. The flow of people moves again! Anybody else out there know of any starters that week?:D

avguy1
2nd Sep 2004, 12:36
Congrats! My money is that you are on the classic, they usually start a day earlier according to my mail.

See you in Sydney!
Av

TurbineDreamer
2nd Sep 2004, 12:54
Congrats on everyone who has a start date. Would you lucky people share with us the sort of hours you had when you were accepted. Just like to measure what type of experience they are currently looking at.

cheers

TD

newbe200
2nd Sep 2004, 22:52
well done jiminny and avguy1

avguy1
3rd Sep 2004, 09:31
I've had a few PM asking about my timeline, so here it is for all.
Inital application Sep 2002
Stage 2 Feb 04
Stage 3 Mar 04
Ref Checks June 04

I've got just under 2000 hrs about 300 multi and 1350 instructing. I'm pretty sure I'm at the lower end of the experience scale judging by the people I met at interviews.

Good luck to all
Av

Jiminny
3rd Sep 2004, 11:16
Overall I would say that hours do not maketh the man - but for the record hours are 4500 multi-engine turboprop, 2500 command. From what I have experienced thus far in the recruiting process (and in general discussion with folks in the company) QF are far more interested in your general approach to life (ie likelihood to fit into a crew) and attitude towards flying (particularly airline employment). I suspect the QF view is that you need some experience behind you, but hours are only a small indicator of likely future succes (including initial employment) in the company. Timeline was:

initial app Oct 01
psychometrics Jan 03
sim / interview May 03
security checks / mouth xray Jun 04
ref checks Aug 04
THE news this wednesday

Avguy, looking forward to meeting you. To everyone else in the pipeline, hang in there, despite the fact that fact that the waiting is KILLING you. Best of luck to all. :ok:

slice
4th Sep 2004, 09:11
avguy1 & Jiminny - can I ask your age

35 yrs 2300TT 1000 Multi - not invited to stage 1! :oh:

incidentreport
4th Sep 2004, 22:44
Mouth x-ray?? What's that about?? Seriously what are they looking for there?? Straight teeth?? No fillings??
Honest question.

Capt. J
4th Sep 2004, 23:06
To check whether you have any 'air pockets' in your teeth. Reason is because if you have a change in pressurisation, it could incapasitate you. This only applies to large jumbo jets, I stand to be corrected on this information.

This information is what I've learnt, I have not experienced it. Sorry if it is wrong.

Hydrolix
5th Sep 2004, 03:44
A mouth X Ray will not show "air pockets", they will show fillings which may cause pain and discomfort in an explosive decompression situation. The mouth x ray is a legal requirement for the sole purpose of identification. For example, if an aircraft crashes an your body is burned to the extreme and it is not identifiable, your dental x ray (teeth) may be the only thing to say that you were on the aircraft.

Capt. J
5th Sep 2004, 03:48
I stand corrected.

avguy1
5th Sep 2004, 04:08
I turned 25 in june Slice.

Av