PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Lagos

chuks
30th Jun 2004, 07:39
DNMM (Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria) is getting a bit crowded.

There's that Hydro Air Cargo 747 freighter still parked over at International, looking a bit second-hand with the left main gear missing and various other bits shredded. International passengers can often get a good close look at this wreck. I suppose it is just a way of saying, 'Hi! Welcome to Lagos, you poor b*stard!'

Then there are all those BAC 1-11s sat around, most without engines.

And there are four 737-200s just sat there grounded since months now because Slok Air's AOC has been withdrawn. Basically the airline's chairman got into a big political squabble with President Obasanjo, when irregularities came to light with the airline operation. It looks as if payback will be leaving these aircraft to just sit there and rot.

So people often park their aircraft on the active taxiways for want of parking space on the overcrowded ramps. Then someone went hog wild one afternoon and also blocked the only exit from General Aviation with a 727, which occasioned much moaning until the crew could be induced to shift it. The parallel and the link taxiways had already been blocked, so this clown chose the only remaining flat surface as his designated gate. What, he should allow the small aircraft room to use this taxiway when he wanted to park his three-holer? Are you mad?

The former domestic ramp has been out of service for a long time now due to construction work on the new terminal, which seems to be stalled. A forest of pillars, some scaffolding and a field of dirt mounds on the ramp is about all that has been going on for a long time now.

So life is still rather uniquely interesting for those of us who call Lagos our home!

The preceding item should have gone in as \'New Topic\' but I hit \'Reply\' instead. It\'s that old \'finger trouble\' again! Sorry about that!

answer=42
18th Nov 2004, 18:12
Bellview left me stranded in ACC today (Thurs) and I want to be in FNA. There's another B3 on Monday. There's also a SLOK flight tomorrow.

Judging from my search on SLOK, you guys who know about these things don't seem to be too keen on this new / reborn airline. Or am I just being a wimp?

Chucks
Think I saw the Hydro Air 747 at LOS yesterday in approx the same condition as you described it.

Didn't know where to post this question; this seemed the best place.

Sorry to drag you guys away from your beers; I'm just an SLF wanting to know.

oneeyed
18th Nov 2004, 18:32
Flight to FNA
I suggest that you take the Slok flight tomorrow. You don't know whether B3 will carry you on Monday and the Slok Operation is quite OK - Service is certainly better than B3 !!!

Safe journey

answer=42
18th Nov 2004, 18:42
1i
Thank you for that.
Boy, that was quick.

answer=42

Gunship
18th Nov 2004, 19:16
Since Slok's intro to FNA / West Coast they have really performed well. Sometimes a bit late - but at least they turn up the same day... :p

answer=42
18th Nov 2004, 20:28
thank you very much.
shows that african aviation ppruners maintain an open mind.
I am very grateful.

answer=42

Gunship
18th Nov 2004, 21:13
Cheers mate,

What is strange is that SLOK do not use more of their aircraft standing in Lagos on the West Coast route ?

Their is a hughe gap left by Ghana Scareways :suspect:

Go well -sleep well in Africa - Europe is freezing :D

2212 at night and still 33 Degr C :E

oneeyed
18th Nov 2004, 22:46
You are right Guns, it's really a pitty seing those 4 birds rotting away in the Lagos climate but it looks they are doing that on purpose. However, their ABJ Station Manager that kicked me out of bed by 7 a.m. this morning is telling me that they have increased their Fleet to a total of 12 a/c (including the magical four).
So if they finally manage to get their act together an learn about reservation systems, the West Coast will have a substantial regional carrier.
Enjoy the piss in London, I prefer to remain where it's nice and warm at this time of the year. :cool:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
18th Nov 2004, 22:50
Chuks,

And your point is ??!! Not being cynical, but the desolate aircraft scenario is a familiar one in Port Harcourt, Owerri and a lot of other airports around the place sadly. Can't understand why they don't take a gas axe to them, as you say it must put new arrivals off !! Apart from blocking ramps and links etc.

Shame about the Slok boss arguing with the Prez and losing his AOC though, I heard they got off to quite a promising start on the domestic front. But then so did a lot of others in the past............

Cheers,

NEO.

Gunship
19th Nov 2004, 06:07
If you argue with the Pre$$$ in West Africa .. you aint paying enough $$$ obviously .... so "that" is the problem ?

Such a shame ... :}

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
19th Nov 2004, 07:41
Guns,

So true, especially when the owner is a state governor himself who should know the way things work !!

Dotun
20th Nov 2004, 06:06
Looks like one of those 4 aircrafts could be on its way out of lagos. Its been washed, reparked, registration has been changed (C5-IFY), and a lot of engineers moving up and down around it.
Regards
Dotun

ContractFlyGal
21st Nov 2004, 22:07
Bellview is probably the worst airline in West Africa. Just flew on them from LOS-BJL..... I would take Slok anytime over Bellview. Slok is now registered in Gambia and their process is stricter than that of Nigeria...

oneeyed
21st Nov 2004, 22:35
Bellview vs. Slok

don't quite agree with you ContractFlyGal, Bellview is presently surely the most reliable operator on the West Coast. Although they can be proud of the lousiest inflight service and the most unfriendly and arrogant flight attendants (sorry they call themselves CABIN EXECUTIVES) one can come accross.

As for SLOK let's hope they get their act together commercially than we will have a choice whether we will have some decent service and reasonable food or to continue swallowing 3 days old "doghnuts" :yuk:

Rani
22nd Nov 2004, 04:20
Hello guys,

Can either of you (above two posts) kindly post a trip report discussing your experiences with Bellview Airlines flights? Airliners.net has a great Trip Reports section.

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind insight!

Rani

Capt. Manuvar
22nd Nov 2004, 23:18
Does anyone have any info on a new start-up Hak Air?
They've just spent US$6.5 mil on buying the Nigeria Airways HQ, outbidding Virgin Nigeria. They've all bought two of Slok's B732s.

oneeyed
22nd Nov 2004, 23:35
HAK Air

Sorry Skipper, have been out of the country for a while and not up to date on recent developments but as a p;oint of correction, HAK is not a new start up. The company has been arround for several years and is run by Capt. Kutie. 2 Yrs ago they were part in the Hajj, eveer since I havn't heard from them. I wonder who Kutie is fronting for this time. Surely he hasn't made this kind of dough you are mentioning flying Hajj.

Perhaps others will shad some more light on this.

Aviamil
23rd Nov 2004, 08:50
Hi,

Can anyone confirm if this is Harka Air ? and also were Harka Air anything to do with Harco Air Services ?

Regards
Marc

Skylion
23rd Nov 2004, 09:42
Any news on how Antrak Air is doing in ACC with its ATR operation? Big opportunities with Ghana Airways now pretty much out of the running?
Also, what are Virgin Nigeria doing for an HQ if the old Nigeria Airways one has gone? ( Good idea to break completely from WT past anyway). When do they start flying?

oneeyed
23rd Nov 2004, 10:07
HAk Air

Sorry o, HAK has nothing to do with either Harka nor Harco Air Services. Both Harka and Harco were operating in the early 90s whereby Harco was a breakaway from Harka. Owners were some northern big shots that couldn't get along with each other - the usual ego problem of who is bigger.

Obviously neither of them could stand the test of time and went out of business.

Hope this helps

Rani
23rd Nov 2004, 12:27
Still no news of when exactly Virgin Nigeria would start flying although management has indicated ticket sales will start beginning of January with flights a few weeks later. I guess Virgin Nigeria is taking its time with recruitment and planning so you won't see them rushing to start flying.....they are doing it the proper way.

oneeyed
23rd Nov 2004, 16:40
Virgin Nigeria

....won't see them rushing to start flying.....they are doing it the proper way

can anybody enlighten me what that means in the Nigerian context???

I've just clocked 12 years there but still not sure what the proper way might be?????? Help o

Rani
23rd Nov 2004, 17:46
"The propoer way"

Means:

The oyinmbo way, lots of long-term planning, scrutiny, marketing, and employing the RIGHT people.

So to sum up, I don't think that dwelling on the "Nigerian factor" and "Nigerian context" mentality of the past is the best way forward. This time around, Nigeria is internationalizing its flag carrier. Nigerians can be proud for a change.

oneeyed
23rd Nov 2004, 19:22
Nothing wrong with trying it the Oyinbo way but I would love to see the faces of the "proud Nigerians" when they realize that if they want to fly to New York they have to transit via London. As their new Flag Carrier is not allowed to go direct.

Rani
24th Nov 2004, 07:14
Initially, Virgin Nigeria will be flying from Lagos to London, New York, Dubai, and Johannesburg. Richard Branson uttered this with his own tongue. Aren't they after the profit, afterall?

oneeyed
24th Nov 2004, 18:56
Yes, Rani I heard the interview too but he didn't allow for the position of the US of A that has just recently requested their Ambassador to notify the Honorable Minister that the USA will not allow the utilization of the US/Nigeria Open Sky Agreement by Virgin Nigeria as they do not consider the company to be a Nigerian Company - as required in the agreement.

Problem dey o

Rani
24th Nov 2004, 20:46
I've also heard about this...Seems the American ambassador is not familiar with the technicalities of the deal or aviation law in general. Virgin Nigeria is majority Nigerian-owned, is registered and based in Lagos Nigeria. Legally speaking, we are talking about a Nigerian airline, merely using a franchizd identity.

What IS a matter of concern is Nigeria's ICAO CAT status. All things being equal, Virgin Nigeria will be denied traffic rights to the US unless Nigeria puts its act together once and for all (reaches at least CAT 2). Perhaps the Slok /IRS saga was all a show demonstrating to the Americans the NCAA's new safety oversight muscle?

oneeyed
25th Nov 2004, 18:50
Knowing the Ambassador, he wouldn't make a fool of himself and develop self initiative but rather act on instructions of his government???

Obiously someone in the DOT is not impressed with the indigenous status of Virgin Nigeria.

You are certainly right with the AOC Category but of course that's a technicality that could be circumvented using the appropriate aircraft registration - abi