PDA

View Full Version : boot up snags

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
17th Jul 2004, 15:32
sure mr naples will solvve this for me.

every now and again my pc throws a fit and will not boot. gets as far as the xp loading screen with the blue bar which moves a bit then freezes for ever while hard disc light is on. no matter how many times you try a reboot or start with last known good settings its the same. if i use safe mode lists all the bits its loading till it gets to one ending in drovers32/amdagp.sys then stops there. any ideas?

i have tried everythin but only a reinstall sorts it. no programs etc added last few times i have had pc on. pc illin run every time i have pc on just in case with latest update. i dont have a clue but boy its annoyin !

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Jul 2004, 17:28
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR,

You are putting a lot of pressure on me here. I hope I can come though for you. ;)

Without any specs what so ever on your comp, this is going to be a little hard.

When you boot in Safe Mode, the last file you see on the list is the last one to successfully load. So I would guess your problem is possibly the one after amdagp.sys that is causing it.

Now there was a problem with the AMD Chipset and their GART. In your case I am guessing you have an old AMD Chipset Motherboard. I would get the latest Drivers for your Motherboard. (Just in case it is the problem.) Then load the latest Video Card Drivers. (I cannot point you to them since I do not know which one you have.)

Take Care,

Richard

Nudlaug
18th Jul 2004, 10:02
I had a similar problem not too long ago. it turned out to be the motherboard slightly touching the case and shorting out from time to time. Sometimes the computer ran fine for months, sometimes it hung at various stages of the bootup.
If yours always stops at the same spot at bootup, it is most likely something else though.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
18th Jul 2004, 12:59
thanks for help so far i have asus a7n8x motherboars,1gb ram, amd 1600 athlon seriel 120gb drive format into 2860gb dont know if that helps? have got latest drivers updates etc !

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Jul 2004, 13:32
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR,

Make sure you use these Drivers:

Windows XP - Unified Driver Version: 4.24 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24)

You are running WinXP right?

Which Vid Card are you using?

Take Care,

Richard