PDA

View Full Version : Conduct Assessments

JessTheDog
17th Jul 2004, 14:19
I was browsing through QRs (no, I'm not an administrator and no, I wasn't on the toilet;) ) and I was amused to read the regulations regarding conduct assessments. I was used to "Exemplary" from filling in ACRs as I've never had a bad (or even less-than-good) subordinate in my reporting chain. However, the fines, warnings and periods of detention that merited "very good", "good" or "fair" were still considerable!

It is good practice not to cause anyone possible employment prospects when leaving the service and the RN, as always, provide excellent common-sense and humane guidance: "less deserving ratings should suffer only by the brevity of their report", or something along those lines, is on the RN discharge report form.

However, our conduct assessments appear more suited to an age of mass service, perhaps with less-than-motivated personnel, and perhaps when there was a greater expectation to award punishments. If the majority of personnel are "exemplary", then is this doing a disservice to the most deserving? Or does it provide well-deserved praise for the hardworking majority of personnel?

Interestingly, "exemplary" is not always praiseworthy!

ex·em·pla·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-zmpl-r)
adj.
Worthy of imitation; commendable: exemplary behavior.
Serving as a model.
Serving as an illustration; typical.
Serving as a warning; admonitory.

Blakey875
18th Jul 2004, 09:24
Jess

Several decades ago when I had only been in the mob for two years I got charged and was awarded a £3 fine. That year my conduct was dropped from exemplary to very good. Some 20 odd years later that one drop in conduct cost me a chance of a MSM, petty or what?

JessTheDog
18th Jul 2004, 11:19
Absolutely! Most of us get into trouble at some point, whether actioned formally or not. This should't have any bearing years downstream.