PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good meteorology textbook?

cumulus
17th Jul 2004, 09:24
Hi Folks

I have just finished studying the Met module of ATPL theory, and I found that the notes I was given were a little inadequate. Though whoever wrote them obviously knew his stuff, they were evidently produced on the cheap, hence a lack of good diagrams, charts etc. to back up the text.

I know it is strange to be asking this after I have finished the module, but can anybody recommend a good text on Meteorology, preferably slanted towards avaition? I am asking this, because it is a subject that I will be coming back to again and again, in the event I have a career in aviation!

no sponsor
17th Jul 2004, 09:36
Rather than slogging through a book, you might want to consider Oxfords Meteorology CD. I found it very useful, and I had pretty good notes to study on through my course.

If you don't have a computer, you could buy Bristol's Met course notes for a fee: www.bristol.gs - I think they charge £85 for each module. These are the notes I used, and are of a very high quality, with lots of colourful diagrams! Oxford also sell their course notes, but I can't comment on their quality.

There is a book by Airlife, called Meteorology for Pilots, can't think of the author, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. It was only marginally better in some areas than the notes too. Besides, it was also a few hundred pages long.

Lee Frost
17th Jul 2004, 09:59
Hi Cumulus,

I would also recommend you try the Oxford Met CD...its been created in a well thought out way, plenty of animations etc - you will not be disappointed.

Its actually quite enjoyable to sit down and watch for an hour or two!

Good luck,

LF

skyman68
17th Jul 2004, 10:17
a friend bought the CD rom of oxford, and I gave a look at.
with my experience (2000h), I can tell you I am not so good.I have tendency to foget all these weather codes.

there are so many things in weather, lucky bastard I am, I passed first time the CAA exam, only based on "bon sens".but this cdrom would have gave me better score.

if you have 50 quids to spend, go for the Oxford CD rom and forget the book.

I have nothing to do with this organisation.

2WingsOnMyWagon
17th Jul 2004, 10:26
Hi Cumulus

The Airlife book is by Mike Wickson and is very good. There is also a series of books named "Ground Studies For Pilots" the meteorology book is excellent (so are the others as well). The Oxford met CD is a must. It is a little too in depth in places and the global climatology isn't great but the animations and explanations are very easy to understand and you will probably go back to it through out your training.

Regards

2 Wings

:ok: