PDA

View Full Version : Carribean / Dubai - Low Hours ATPL- Can you Help?

Prickie
16th Jul 2004, 14:45
If this has been posted before then I appologise but I've looked through a fair few pages to no avail.

My question is this - I am a low hours pilot freshly out of school but have a job as an AOC pilot at a small aerodrome. I want to look for work in the Carribean or the Middle East flying props or turboprops.

Does anyone have some constructive information about the best way to go. I have JAA so I know some Carribean Islands are out of the question (FAA).

Please no slagging me off for posting this as if you can't help I rather you not reply at all.

Many thanks in anticipation

Prickie

Flying Mechanic
16th Jul 2004, 20:22
Hope I can help you as I have worked in both.
Caribbean- The majority of the chater work down there is done in Piston Twins and you will need at least 700 Plus to get a break, plus over 100 hours Multi PIC.All the Turbo props jobs got to the locals first, and if they cant get those they will hire in experienced expats.I have heard of people getting single engine jobs, but again you need 500 Plus(because of insurance)The hiring season in the caribbean happens in October each year(before the tourist season starts)and thats the time to arrive with your backpack, get mates with afew local pilots(find out where they drink)so you can crash on their floor.The Caribbean is an expensive place to hang out.......so go prepared.
With the Middle east , you very rarely see any Piston props flying around the place apart from the flight schools.With regards to jobs once again locals get preference, and will get good jobs with low hours.
If I was you I would head down to Africa to the like of Botswana, where they are opportunities to get job flying a Cessna 206 or something, where there are good jobs to be had,and you will get 800 hours in the first year.
With Regards to Licensing the FAA is a good ticket in the Caribbean, but world wide your JAR one is well accepted.
If you dont mind living rough, you will have the time of your life.
My first job was living in Converted container, and flying a Cessna 182........it was the best time of my life.Got out there with a good attitude, be prepared to make friends , be prepard to muck in with every aspect of aviation operations and you will go far.Best of luck FM

Prickie
16th Jul 2004, 20:57
Many thanks for that Flying Mechanic - very helpful info.

Living rough, with what I owe can not do anything else!!