PDA

View Full Version : BA 737s

eal401
16th Jul 2004, 11:08
How many 737s do BA currently operate? Their website gives figures for 2002, I believe they have reduced the number since then?

TIA

Mark Lewis
16th Jul 2004, 11:14
5 300s

19 400s (With one on lease to DBA)

10 500s

HZ123
16th Jul 2004, 14:47
I do not think we have as many as the figures you quote. The DBA a/c is now with Globespan and the 300's have been dispensed with. I will try and get the exact number which will be further reduced when A320-100 x 10 move to LGW in October.

sickBocks
16th Jul 2004, 15:21
Have a look at www.avnclub.demon.co.uk - it's updated monthly.

sB

TopBunk
16th Jul 2004, 17:58
HZ123

For a start BA only have 5xA320-100 (G-BUSB-F). G-BUSG to K are A320-200. All of the above have CFM engines, as opposed to the rest of the fleet which are IAE V2500 equipped.

It is intended that A319's will move to LGW to replace B737's (subject to discussions with BALPA about scheduling rules) as the A321's arrive at LHR from October this year.

TURIN
18th Jul 2004, 10:54
There was a -300 at MAN (LGW-MAN-LGW) the other day. It had BA written on the side and was flown/maintained/serviced by BA crew.

bunnygirl
18th Jul 2004, 12:05
We still have a number of -300's at LGW, flew on one not two days ago. Although I belive that the company are trying to get rid of them.

Was told by an Airbus pilot (for us) that the Airbus 319's would arrive at the start of January 2005. And that Airbus 320's were not planned for LGW, that is not planned for mainline. As of course our franchise partner at LGW, GB Airways, has a number of Airbus 320's/321's.

Hope that that helps.

eng1170
21st Jul 2004, 10:34
At the moment G-LGTH (-300) is in maintenance at GLA, and GTI was in before it, so there are still -300's about.

The G-LGTx aircraft are -300's; there are 5 of these GTE - GTI,
the G-GFFx aircraft are -500's; there are 10 of these FFA - FFJ, and the G-DOCx machines are -400's; there are 22 of these OCA - OCZ (with the exception of OCC, OCD, OCI, OCJ, OCK and no OCQ!) and there is G-GBTA, and G-GBTB. This is a list produced from the CAA's online registration database on 21 July 2004.

Obviously there were other aircraft that operated in BA's fleet such as ex-Dan Air -400's such as G-BPNZ, BSNV*, BSNW*
(* these 2 had extra fuel tanks in the aft hold),
G-BUHJ, UHK, UHL (these had end-of-lease checks to FAA spec and were sold/handed back),
G-BNNL, NNK operated with GB Airways, and there have been various other -300/400/500's leased for short term periods, over the years.

There is a current program of End-of-Lease maintenance checks, but not specifically on the -300's/500's, as G-DOCI and OCK have both moved on. OCK went to S. Africa after an input at the Polar Air hangar at PWK a year or 2 ago, OCI was more recent and done at GLA.
UHJ,UHK and UHL were also handed back following inputs at GLA, and just last Xmas ('03/'04) VNM, VNN, and VNO were also done at GLA. Most have the maintenance carried out here as its the 737 major maintenance base, (although the Airbus line in Bay 2 is well up and running), and the aircraft are then repainted at LHR/LGW. G-BVNM, VNN, and VNO were to be sold to an Italian operator but I believe VNM is still registered as such and is still in the UK.

The lease agreements are the main consideration for choosing which aircraft are disposed of. I had asked a member of one of the hand-back teams as to why we were keeping all the "odd-ball" aircraft and not trying to re-establish a consistent fleet of the same type i.e all the G-DOCx -400's. This would make maintenance and spares holdings easier to manage as there is commonality. Cabin layout on the current fleet can vary quite dramatically as do the spares reqd and as such interchangeability.

Eng ;)

eng1170
24th Jul 2004, 18:54
Further to my above post, G-DOCM was parked up earlier this week, it's due an end-of-lease input in Sept, not sure if it will be at GLA though, it's currently sitting outside Bay 1 (may have been moved today thou,I was not there), had a few parts robbed already, No.1 eng inlet cowl and No.2 outbd fan cowl, both for G-LGTH in the hangar.

Eng :)

spork
24th Jul 2004, 21:34
This would make maintenance and spares holdings easier to manage as there is commonality.Cor! That brings back memories! I worked for Dan-Air at Lasham in the summer of 1986, helping one of their accountants on stock control, costs, and... reducing spares holdings! Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

Robert.humphrey
3rd Sep 2004, 23:50
The BA hangar at GLA has a continual line of B737 and A319/A320 C Checks, so if for instance an end of lease check 4C requires further engineering work after repaint at LHR BA have on a number of occasions used the Polar Air hangar at PIK. There are a number of Ayrshire engineers at BA GLA only too happy to work at PIK rather than the longer trip to GLA.

Anti-ice
4th Sep 2004, 00:09
From the horses mouth.......

IT'S BACK...THE B737-400!

Due to the on-going new engineering procedures, BA has decided to move 1 x B737-400 from EFLGW to EFLHR.

Very shortly, BA will be asking for Purser and main crew to volunteer to drop their B757 licence and pick up a B737-400 licence.

At this point in time, it is envisaged that it will be for Sep '04 through to Mar '05.

lol...and we were told they were gone for good !! :D

Jet II
4th Sep 2004, 13:44
Don't get too excited - you're getting OCZ but currently its in bits (was LGW's Christmas tree) and awaiting spares :uhoh:

You won't be able to fly it that much if/when you do get it as it has a rather large lap-joint inpection for cracking due every 4 weeks after a nasty incident at the paint shop.

bluepilot
4th Sep 2004, 14:01
what about G-OAMS, G-ODUS,G-OFRA etc 737-300s that were operated by BAR? believe some went to GO before being sold to Easy??

Human Factor
4th Sep 2004, 16:03
Not sure about those although a couple were floating around LGW at some stage.

Latest news is the Wonderbus won't be going to LGW after all. Anyway, that's this weeks plan!

WHBM
4th Sep 2004, 18:14
what about G-OAMS, G-ODUS,G-OFRA etc

AMS is ZK-NGO with Air New Zealand since 2002

DUS and FRA are with Easy having gone via Go in 2002. Having just been repainted at time of takeover they were left in Go colours until this year.

Anorak off !

eng1170
5th Sep 2004, 14:28
Don't get too excited - you're getting OCZ but currently its in bits (was LGW's Christmas tree) and awaiting spares

Yeah and all the bits for that are being robbed off OCM, GLA's xmas tree!!!

And Bluepilot, you are quite correct all the ex-BAR 737's you mention are now Sleazyjet,

Eng

Shaka Zulu
6th Sep 2004, 11:02
it's easyJet not Sleazyjet, only G-ODUS and G-OFRA are now in our fleet and what joy :)

M.Mouse
6th Sep 2004, 11:50
BA will be asking for Purser and main crew to volunteer to drop their B757 licence and pick up a B737-400 licence.

How long have cabin crew been issued with licences?

What form do they take, book type like an ATPL or like a credit card size driving licence?

Robert.humphrey
6th Sep 2004, 21:58
Yes the BAR B737-300's AMS,DUS,FRA,MAN,BHX were on short term leases and at end of lease with BA the lease was taken up by GO then Easyjet. The aircraft kept their registrations on transfer to GO, did Easyjet keep the registrations?