PDA

View Full Version : Prince Charles in Near Miss

ppf
16th Jul 2004, 09:17
Taken from the Beeb......

[QUOTE] A military plane carrying the Prince of Wales nearly collided with a passenger jet, it has been revealed.

Prince Charles was not aware of the incident as he travelled to Spain on 24 March for the Madrid bomb service, but both pilots filed reports on it.

The National Air Traffic Service says that at no point was the safety of either plane compromised.

It said the two aircraft were more than 900ft apart at all times and the air traffic controller had acted swiftly.

The prince was on HS146 of the Queen's Flight with staff and took off from RAF Northolt in west London.

An Airbus A321 carrying up to 186 passengers was heading to Heathrow airport, coming from Cork in the Republic of Ireland.
The near-miss happened at 0830 BST at 11,500ft above Newbury in Berkshire, prompting concerns from the pilots.

An investigation has been launched to establish whether there was a risk of collision.

The National Air Traffic Service said safety was not compromised and the planes were at least three miles apart horizontally and 900ft vertically.

A statement said the air traffic controller involved had recognised the potential conflict and acted immediately.

A spokesman for Clarence House said: "All we are saying is that passengers were informed of the incident afterwards but they weren't actually aware of it while the flight was taking place."
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm that there was a near-miss incident but not which aircraft were involved."

ppf :oh:

Quagger
16th Jul 2004, 09:27
Assume the 'proper' Pilot was at the controls.....this time:}

rej
16th Jul 2004, 11:20
Yes, I know it is an erosion of separation and we must have, and adhere to, the appropriate standards in place to ensure our excellent safety record is maintained. The fact is that an extra 100 ft (vertical) separation would have meant that it would not be as issue in itself makes it no less worthy of investigation.

But, is it really newsworthy to the extent that certain organizatons are giving it so much air-time?

How many other such erosions have occurred and have been properly investgated but have not receieved any interest by the media; the reason is obvious.

Jackonicko
16th Jul 2004, 11:39
That's completely unfair. Time travel is bound to attract media attention. The fact that HRH travelled back in time to be able to be flying on board an HS146 is surely front page news......

Dr Falken
16th Jul 2004, 13:21
Does the fact that HRH was on board really warrant press coverage? Had it been 2 passenger jets, would there have been coverage? I was part of a formation that had a height bust and set off the TCAS of an airliner recently, and that never made the press. It was in class G airspace, too, and we were filed against (as we were talking to Swanwick). I'm not a Harrier mate, so I don't consider myself royalty, and the lack of publicity is tacitly welcome! I blame the ht bust on the stude....

Trumpet_trousers
16th Jul 2004, 17:38
Quote:

Prince Charles in Near Miss

.......and there was I expecting a story of him ditching Camilla....:p

ZH875
16th Jul 2004, 17:47
Well Tony :mad: Bliar had to put something in the News to detract from his bye-Election results.

I suppose we will soon be reading of many many more trivial things.:p

BEagle
16th Jul 2004, 18:37
I thought the scare was perhaps Kangorillapig Camilla saying "It's positive....."

No - not possible....

Av18tor
16th Jul 2004, 21:30
Beags,
Kangorillapig was a name given to Fergie but I must admit it does suit her as well. Swampdonkey could also be an accurate description! :ok:

travnet
16th Jul 2004, 21:36
yeah read that this eving in the evening hearld a irish news paper it was an aer lingus plane,

aer lingus havent had much luck lately first a baggage handler drive a truck into the side of the plane in shannon causing E2million + worth of damage then 3 days later the same thing happens to anopther one of their planes in spain crazy!!

Oggin Aviator
17th Jul 2004, 20:03
Isnt a near miss a hit?

ppf
17th Jul 2004, 21:17
You lot picking on the use of the term 'near miss'......!

ppf :ok:

Roger Dodge
21st Jul 2004, 16:07
Yes, I know it is an erosion of separation and we must have, and adhere to, the appropriate standards in place to ensure our excellent safety record is maintained. The fact is that an extra 100 ft (vertical) separation

Except that we separate a/c using lateral separation as well. 3nms is the required separation at TC. 3nms were maintained throughout this 'terrifying airmiss.'

Guess it's a non-event then eh?? ;)

rej
21st Jul 2004, 17:42
Roger Dodge

"Except that we separate a/c using lateral separation as well. 3nms is the required separation at TC. 3nms were maintained throughout this 'terrifying airmiss.' "

Sorry - me being a mil type, I was unaware that you could take 3nm in Class A. How long has that been the case?

I still stand by the fact that it was 'media b******t hype'

Rej