PDA

View Full Version : I did not tell it to do that!

a is dum
16th Jul 2004, 07:19
Hi all,

Perhaps someone can help here.
I use Windows XP.
Tried to do a disk fragmentation (just as for good housekeeping) and it refuses that with message:""Disk fragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume C
Please run Chkdsk/f. ""

I have tried to initiate this Chkdsk/f through "Run" with no reaction.
It does the same on one other disk (have installed Partition Magic some time ago and split the disk in several sections) but OK for the other disk sections.

Now, this started at the same time as I started to get an automatic check(?) function launching at PC startup. It goes through its routine for a few minutes and than starts up XP.
ALso have contracted a 'window freezing' during some www visits and have to manually shutdown.

I run just about everything mentioned in "Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups" and have done so for several months and have regularly loaded every essential update on microsoft.com.

Does anyone recognise this?
I never asked for a "run Chkdsk/f"

Thanks in advance.

gas path
16th Jul 2004, 08:20
Take a look HERE (http://www.techimo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-112838.html)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jul 2004, 21:57
a is dum,

Right click on you Hard Drive and go to Properties. In there go to the Tools Tab. In Error Checking, click Check Now. Under Check Disk Options, put a check mark in both boxes. It will tell you the computer needs to reboot in order to run the scan. Tell it to reboot and just leave the computer alone. (It will run all the checks on its own.)

Take Care,

Richard

a is dum
16th Jul 2004, 21:59
Thanks but,

I can't run msconfig I have XP family and not XP Pro.
The symptoms look the same but I cannot get into the config programm.
What now??

Richard, my man: missed your response by 50 secs. did what you wrote, had to reboot manually It performed all sots of things, rebooted, came back in same, but shorter startup routine.
looks OK now but I will restart again to see if that auto scan type thingy :} reappears again.
Talk to you soon.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jul 2004, 22:15
a is dum,

Fingers crossed it works for you. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

a is dum
16th Jul 2004, 22:27
SIR Richard,

it did work, thanks, defrag works on :C but still not on the other segemnt (which has AOL on it :rolleyes: )
Two things,
"intradtest37" keeps on coming up as an automatic AOL search when logging on to, into (with account name)the dreaded AOL (yeah, yeah, I know).
Also BITSSKIP.EXE comes up on ZONE ALARM allthe time which I deney (sp??)

Rings any bells?

Merci beaucoup.
AiD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jul 2004, 23:41
a is dum,

At least that is a start. ;)

As for intradtest37 and BITSSKIP.EXE, I do not know them. I do not believe that they are tied to any viruses, but you never know.

Take Care,

Richard

IFTB
22nd Sep 2004, 11:36
Don't think its a hijak - answer is that you are using AOL UK software while holding an AOL FRance account - the UK Software is looking for elements of the UK "Welcome .......(username) " screen on the French server and French Aol software is trying to find its way through to you - only choice to avoid this is to un-install the UK Version and replace it with the French version.

You will also find several AOL shortcuts will not function properly (such as renewing your credit card details online)

hope this helps