PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Report

Rich Lee
16th Jul 2004, 05:11
Lot of positive changes since I was last here. New tower. Several new buildings. Many expensive jets. The show is now under civil control and being directed by a Rotorhead!

Validation for Farnborough this afternoon. The US Airforce has yet to deliver my aircraft. The weather.....uncooperative. Fire drill last night at the Hilton St. Anne's Manner. Evidently someone saw a Gerry Aircraft approaching Bracknell and sent everyone to the bunkers. Internet access sketchy. Phone service nil. The grounds are, however, lovely and green. We don't see that color often in Phoenix. Should be a great day!

AlanM
16th Jul 2004, 05:49
See you at the Helipad!

:)

ShyTorque
16th Jul 2004, 08:42
Alan, Pse cx PMs. Ta!

Autorotate
16th Jul 2004, 08:44
Rich - Sorry wont see you at Farnborough. Heading off to Sth Africa and Zambia tomorrow to go chase White Rhinos :)

Regards

Ned

Rich Lee
16th Jul 2004, 12:07
Ned Heading off to Sth Africa and Zambia tomorrow to go chase White Rhinos Let me see....Farnborough or White Rhinos...ummmh....I think you have the better assignment! I will miss you but wish you the best of luck!

AlanM I shall look forward to meeting you and any other Pprune Rotorheads at the helipad. I may have a lot of time to talk if my aircraft does not arrive:{

NickLappos
16th Jul 2004, 23:00
Rich,
Want to borrow one?

;-)

Rich Lee
17th Jul 2004, 09:54
Nick Want to borrow one? I may take you up on that. We sat at flight operations yesterday and watched the belly of the C-17 carrying our aircraft fly overhead Farnborough and divert. No approved SRA approach so he could go no lower. Bottom line, two lost days of practice if the weather is good enough to get in to Farnborough tomorrow. Last minute validation. Ahhhhh, the joys of airshow life! It is green here though. Colin from Westlands is the show director this year so the needs of we rotorheads are actually built into the show plans. Super job!

chopperdr
17th Jul 2004, 19:04
rich: we rolled in yesterday around 2:00pm, weather was great. yeovil ceiling low all day but by the time we reached farnborough, no worries. agree grounds look great, have a good show, myself back in oceanside off to ALEA.
dr

AlanM
17th Jul 2004, 20:28
Rich

Your C17 made it (As you are surely aware by now!!)

There is a published SRA procedure at Farnborough which people have been using OK. not sure why the C17 couldn't take it.

Oh well - as you say.... Airshow life!

212man
19th Jul 2004, 12:17
What was wrong with the ILS?

Robbo Jock
19th Jul 2004, 15:13
I'll be there on Thursday (project sponsored jolly - whoopee! I'm meant to be gasping in awe at Eurofighter, but I'll more likely be hanging around the helicopters looking woebegone) When are you displaying ?

Helinut
19th Jul 2004, 16:46
212 man,

ILS/DME notamed as unavailable but SRA on line

The ILS protected area is probably covered in shiny exhibits or cars!

AlanM
19th Jul 2004, 18:01
Very hard to protect the ILS as said, due to cars and aircraft around.

Also, there is a runway 24 Long and 24 Short - so safer to turn it off (and they expected the good weather that finally arrived today!)

AlanM

2Sticks
19th Jul 2004, 21:26
Great airshow today, to a point :O
No helicopters flying though:{
2Sticks

AlanM
19th Jul 2004, 21:33
Now if you had hung around you would have seen a SUPERB Chinook practice display and a punchy Apache Practice!!

Chinook I think displays later in the week - Apache on Tues from 1423 Hrs local

(timings may change - it is 2nd on after all!!!!!!) :)

Not sure when the AB139 displays - crews sat in aircraft today looking mighty p***** off.

Bless

Alan

2Sticks
19th Jul 2004, 22:15
:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{
2Sticks

Head Turner
21st Jul 2004, 08:33
So you lucky guys who are at Farnboro' TELL US unfortunates what's new. What impressed you.

Rich Lee
21st Jul 2004, 18:44
AlanM I have been waiting for you to stop by The Boeing Heliport chalet. We have food, we have drinks (including beer after flight operations are over) and I would like to meet you. Stop by and see me.

I do not know why the AB139 is not flying. We have all been waiting to see it. Beautiful aircraft with, I have been told, eye-watering single engine performance.

The heliport has been a little less busy than I have seen in previous years but the display of courtesy and professionalism make me proud.

The show is being run by Colin Hague O.B.E. (I had to throw that in because Nick does not have a title) and he is doing an excellent job even though he is a helicopter pilot.

Not a lot of new military equipment to brag about seeing. The hot topic is what helicopter the U.S. President will be flying. The B-52 did a beautiful pass over the wrong airport on opening day but found the correct place today. B1 looked great. Tornado is tearing up the sky and my ear drums. Eurofighter has yet to complete a display because he keeps drawing outside of the lines. Patty Wagstaff is flying a Raytheon T-6 and having a hard time staying at the new show mandated 600 foot floor. The Apache validated after the first show (finally!) and we have had good weather displays since. Farnborough looks great upside down!

Robbo Jock
21st Jul 2004, 20:12
Rich,

I realise my earlier post was a little stoopid, I didn't realise the Apache was there so thought you were in something else.

I'll be there tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to seeing you in action - you'll know who I am, I'll be the one waving !!! :D

And if you need some Self Loading Ballast for the other seat, I'm your man :}

NickLappos
21st Jul 2004, 22:45
Rich,

I am also OBE (overcome by events!)

Good luck and Fly Safe, Buddy!

AlanM
22nd Jul 2004, 00:02
Rich

Sorry old chap - been sooooo busy (not with helis, sadly!)

Will be in Boeing tomorrow

AlanM

P.S. Am in the HELIPAD ATC tower!

Autorotate
22nd Jul 2004, 05:05
Rich & Nick,

Having great fun here in Africa. Spent last two days with SA Nat Parks two EC120s capturing Rhinos. Amazing flying and also shot their helos with Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffe, Hippos and Water Buffalo. Its interesting waking up in the morning and finding Hyenas sitting on your veranda. :) :)

Now here in Livingstone, Zambia with On Air who have an EC130, 120 and a AS350B. Sat on the deck here at the Royal Livingston Hotel, over looking the Victoria Falls, watching the sun go down, with a beer in the hand, listening to the hippos. Aint life sweet.

Oh by the way how is it in England :) :) :)

Autorotate.

AlanM
22nd Jul 2004, 05:33
Hey Autorotate!

We were on the same sundeck sipping Pimms just a few months back.

As much fun as the heli flights are, go to the activity centre and book your Tiger Moth flight mate! Best $90 you will EVER spend!

(1000ft over Vic Falls, then 500ft over the Zambezi watching wil elephants bath!)

more here............ (http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography)
:ok:

AlanM
22nd Jul 2004, 11:05
Rich,

SHE IS A BEAST!
http://www.pbase.com/image/31655193/original.jpg
(Morning of Thurs 22 July)

Cheers

magbreak
22nd Jul 2004, 19:07
Rich,

Thanks to you, Todd and Mike for taking the time to show us over the Apache on Wednesday morning. Awesome beast is an understatement!! The coffee was very good as well!

I have the Apache display on video. If Rich has no objecions I'll put it on my web server for downloading once I've edited it. This is apparently the "tame" show. Still involves moves with a fully articulated head that I didn't think should be possible:eek:

The main show was much quieter than previous years. Helicopter manufactuers appeared not to give a rats about the UK market. 1 AB139, A109 Power Elite, the new Grande, Super Lynx and a couple of EH101's was the static show. Flying 1 x Apache. I did see the Chinnok Display which was very good. The 139 was doing demo flights on the Wednesday.

From the Jet side the F16 gave a good display and the B52 found Farnborough twice (found a hospital and Blackbushe the second day!!). Not sure if it is worth the cost of flying the B52 and B1 across from the states each day for one or max two passes along the runway at 1000 ft. Typhoon looked impressive and was VERY noisey. Glad I kept to 1500 ft to keep the noise down on approach!!!!

One question to the organisers we have to route to specific points on the ground to route in and out,. Why not include the GPS position of each point... just a thought as 90% of the aircraft have GPS nav now.

AlanM
22nd Jul 2004, 19:44
magbreak

Will pass that on to those who write the procedures. (I am just guesting at the Helipad tower!)

I agree - the B52/B1 thing seems a little pointless really. The B52's had been swapping over from Fairford so was done on the way out/way in in the first few days.

Which display callsign are you then!?!?!?!?!? :)

Robbo Jock
22nd Jul 2004, 20:58
Just back from Farnborough. Superb display by the Apache ! (And a superb picture of it, AlanM) Excellent F18 display, too. The big bazzer A340 was pretty impressive, and quiet for a large airliner. Unfortunately, Eurofighter was a little tame. But, we got a few good freebies and had a good laugh at the Eurofighter promo film so the day was all round a success.

magbreak
22nd Jul 2004, 21:02
lets just say if you were late home on monday that was me you were waiting for!!:* :* :D

sprocket
22nd Jul 2004, 21:17
OK, I have to ask (since no-one else has); In AlanM's pic, what are the pendulum type objects protruding from the top of the eng cowls?

wishtobflying
22nd Jul 2004, 22:54
I was wondering the same thing - they look like airflow directional meters/indicators - interesting that the one on the right is facing up!

[waits to get slapped down]:ok:

dmanton300
23rd Jul 2004, 08:48
OK, I have to ask (since no-one else has); In AlanM's pic, what are the pendulum type objects protruding from the top of the eng cowls?

Airspeed and Directional Sensors. Here's a cut and paste of the description of the one seen on the starboard side of the AH-1F's canopy:-

"Airspeed and Directional Sensor (AADS): The AADS is mounted on a boom to the right side of the airframe between the pilot and gunner stations. The purpose is to measure local airflow pitot and static pressure, the angle of the airflow relative to the helicopter, and the air temperature. The probe can swivel 360 degrees in pitch and 60 degrees plus or minus in yaw, accurately senses impact and static pressure up to 250 knots forward, 50 knots aft, 50 knots left and 50 knots right. The probe information is also used for rocket and automatic gun operations. A 115 VAC heater is contained within the probe which can be activated by the pilot during inclement weather."

NickLappos
23rd Jul 2004, 09:58
The probes give the fire control computer accurate information about the flow around the weapons pods to help correct the aim point and make the weapons more accurate. This is especially valuable for the folding fin rockets, which are very sensitive to local angle of attack, and tend to point into the relative wind upon launch, confounding the gunner's best intentions. The chaiotic flow under the rotor in a hover is somewhat better understood using such probes, allowing more accurate fire while hiding in the bushes.

The Apache uses 2.75" folding fin rockets, which carry various warheads and are quite effective against soft targets. They are cheaper and more plentiful as compared to the Hellfire, which has been described as "boosting luxury cars down-range." Shots of trucks being taken out with Hellfires in Desert Strom drove commanders nuts, as the saying goes, "It would be nice if the target cost more than the bullet." FFAR's are cheap, effective and plentiful, and were the mainstay of attack helos for decades.

AlanM
23rd Jul 2004, 16:51
magbreak... no problem!

(I went home at 1700 that day):( :O

comedyjock
24th Jul 2004, 20:32
Anybody see the Lynx pairs. They have another wicked display this year and were seen off not to win a display prize at RIAT.

AlanM
25th Jul 2004, 04:48
They are VERY good - but the F18 stole the show at RIAT!

Returning at the Farnborough Helipad yesterday, Black Cat 1:
http://www.pbase.com/image/31738878.jpg

At Fairford...
http://www.pbase.com/image/31471793.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/31471794.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/31471797.jpg

simonp
25th Jul 2004, 18:31
Yesterday was the first Farnborough attended. Did RIAT in 2002, Waterkloof and Swartkops having been the venue of choice for many years.
Was a little disappointed with the static displays but the flying made up for it.
As ever...Red Arrows were magnificent....the Lynx's gave a brilliant aerial ballet display.....
The 747 was an eyeopener as were the latest from Airbus.....not enough of the B1/B52 and the 117.
Strangely enough, and I think that this holds true for every airshow attended and that includes Andrews Joint Force Open Day.....the star performer still has to be the Harrier.....

Rich Lee
25th Jul 2004, 21:21
It is over! Many thanks to AlanM who did a brilliant job at the Heliport tower and a personal job well done to those Ppruners who worked the show and I was not able to meet.

Magbreak. It was a pleasure to show you around the beast. Hope things are well with you.

Autorotate. Hope you are still having fun. Should we meet up again I still have an open seat approved by the Army for you.

The helicopters finally came out for the public days. The Chinook gave a heart stopping low level display. We complained that we should be allowed to work the same floor as the Chinook but Colin would have nothing of it. They have some new kit in the tower and everytime we sneaked below the floor a tad we were spanked. Their altitudes and our altitudes did not differ by any appreciable amount so we stayed up. A 600 foot floor is just too high for a helo. I was getting nose bleeds. Lynx pairs got stronger each day and were a crowd pleaser. This is my fourth or fifth Farnborough and I must say I am a little sad that there were no civil rotorcraft being displayed in the flying lineup and few manufacturers could be found in static. No real helicopter announcments. Perhaps some country will step up and fund a true international helicopter only airshow.

When we moved from the heliport on Friday our lives became difficult because we quickly discovered that even a pilot cannot walk across a taxiway to get to his aircraft without the ramp gestapo issuing a stern lecuture. I wore a yellow reflective vest that could be seen from the International Space Station but still had to ride to my aircraft in the back of a speeding truck from one side of a taxiway to the other. What could have been done in less than one minute was a fifteen to thirty minute exercise. There were a few Ppruners I would have liked to have taken to the aircraft but the King of the West Ramp made that all but impossible. Farnborough used to be such a display friendly venue. What happened?

Our F-18 pilot Rico "suave" Traven said RIAT was the place to be. A pilot show par excellence.

magbreak
26th Jul 2004, 22:38
Great Photos AlanM. Did you take photos of all the aircraft at Farnborough?? If so I'll PM you and see if you have any of our machine.

AlanM
27th Jul 2004, 06:31
Quite a few helis - but not all!

mail me with your details (remember yr callsign but not the reg!)

Alan

AlanM
29th Jul 2004, 06:49
anyone recognise this poser?!?!?!

:)

http://www.pbase.com/image/31568685.jpg

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/FMSbeer.gif

AlanM
2nd May 2006, 13:17
Any of you boys and girls coming back to Farnborough 2006!!?!?!?

See you at the helipad!

Rich Lee - where are you - have PM's you.

A

chevvron
2nd May 2006, 14:48
Ref the earlier comments about GPS co-ordinates; the arrival/departure routes are all VISUAL routes via prominent VRP's which I've checked personally using a microlight('cos I can't afford to fly helicopters), why do you need GPS for them?