PDA

View Full Version : concorde pilots

cloudskimmer
15th Jul 2004, 22:49
hi all just wondering out of curiosity what has happened to concordes captains/fo.s. . . have they retired or gone onto new type rating

BRL
17th Jul 2004, 00:44
Seeing as no-one else has replied I will add what I know.

I know one has gone back on the 747, one on the 777, one on the Airbus and, I am sure one of the cabin crew has gone on to be a F/O or something like that.

It has been a while since I last spoke to one of the Captains, but I will e-mail him and point him in this direction. :)

cloudskimmer
17th Jul 2004, 14:35
thankyou BRL :ok:

Human Factor
17th Jul 2004, 15:11
Those Concorde pilots who weren't close to retirement all retrained. All the Concorde pilots were senior enough to achieve commands on other types and I believe the vast majority chose to do this. The flight engineers were forcibly retired from flying as BA no longer operates any aircraft which require them. Shame.

Foxy Loxy
17th Jul 2004, 17:27
I know of one skipper who went on to the 777 whilst the fleet was grounded and didn't want to go back.

Have no idea what happened to the F/O i was acquainted with.

Foxy

Wycombe
17th Jul 2004, 19:08
I've seen one of them instructing with the BA Club at Wycombe (which could be a spare time activity of course).

spekesoftly
17th Jul 2004, 22:39
I believe some of the Concorde Flight Engineers were offered ground posts, or re-training as cabin crew - did any pursue the latter?

Jinkster
17th Jul 2004, 22:58
I believe Mr Bannister has retired after seeing a post in "Where are you now?" Mr Concorde retires.

Would like to know what Mr Walpole is doing these days - he is retired of course.

Jinkster

InFinRetirement
18th Jul 2004, 07:59
One Concorde Captain, and avid PPRuNer, is on the 744 fleet. He always says that "it takes a long time to get anywhere" but he likes it. I also heard that there was a fair bit of angst among the CC's because of the way they were 'dealt' with in regard to their alternative job's issue.

As for Mr Walpole, I think he still resides in the East Horsley area. Quite near a petrol station I believe!

Jinkster
18th Jul 2004, 10:20
As for Mr Walpole, I think he still resides in the East Horsley area. Quite near a petrol station I believe

:D

Just to add, does anyone know what has happened or happening to the Concorde sim, would love to have a bash on that.

Jinkster

cringe
18th Jul 2004, 21:48
Apparently the Filton Concorde sim was going to be put on a non-working display:

http://www.speedbirds.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/news9a.htm