PDA

View Full Version : Why are We PAID such Cr*p??

sullyd
15th Jul 2004, 19:47
A hungry hi!

I was just on aviationjobsearch.com and saw a job for a cleaner advertised, an aircraft cleaner.

The Basic is 12k. Explain That!

Im On 10, which i hear is more than some cc's get, which leads me to ask, how are we paid such Cr*p!

How can anybody expect to live on these wages, how can anybody call it a career on these wages.

Is their something in the abbey well water.

Is it cause people will do this job for nothing.

Got paid £960 ,this = all flight pay,basic and comm (15 days ago), Paid 320 rent, have £150 left after living and goin out once.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Sullyd:ok:

sevenforeseven
15th Jul 2004, 20:28
Remember you have a choice,if you do not like it find something else. You can apply to be a cleaner and get 2000 ukp more.

seat 0A
16th Jul 2004, 07:12
Simple case of supply and demand.

Bus429
16th Jul 2004, 07:27
It could be the perception of "glamour" associated with cabin crew that attracts many and drives salaries down, as Seat 0A alluded to. I would not want to work as cabin crew for a budget operator or a "prestige" national airline - the job looks miserable and the days of long layovers in exotic locations must be long gone! Still, most of you manage to smile, no matter how snotty the passengers are.

To be fair, aircraft cleaners also have to put up with a lot and deserve reasonable pay - as do we engineers! Imagine lying under a seat trying to fix an IFE problem trying not to gag at the smell of vomit or worse (is there anything worse?) . Imagine having to stick your hand down a toilet to recover the object blocking the dump or flush valve!:yuk:

Dogs_ears_up
16th Jul 2004, 11:37
Cabin Crew wages reflect the market. Since you are presently working for a company and accepting that wage level, you are contributing to the lowering of the market price for Cabin Crew - There is an apparently inexhaustible supply of young people who want so much to be Cabin Crew that they are prepared to work for next to nothing, or in the case of Ryanair, pay their employer for the privilege of working for them - you wouldn't believe people could be quite that stupid, but clearly they can. As long as these factors hold true, ALL Cabin Crew will be treated with contempt by their own employers, will be paid the current market price and their profession will likely be accorded zero respect by either employers or customers.:(

When you accepted the job, you directly contributed to the weakness of your own wages (and mine) - Thanks!:{

AVeight
16th Jul 2004, 11:44
Dear Sullyd,

Very simply because if you don't want to do the job at that wage than there are thousands of others who would. Being a FA is a highly wnated job. Airlines play off this and understandably so!

AVeight

Floaty
20th Jul 2004, 11:26
The money is cr@p, very true, but the time off is the good side of the coin. Besides, there are no perfect jobs.

Said that, I would remind new entrants about the importance of joining the Unions. Without them, by now we would probabily have to rely on passengers' TIPS to pay our bills!!!... :sad:

FJ

sixmilehighclub
29th Jul 2004, 11:54
Was the ad for aircraft cleaners on the line, or in the hangars??

Hangar aircraft cleaners get paid more as they really deserve it!! They physically clean a years worth of ****e from baggage leakages in the hold, the grease off mechanical joints, bits of the toilets you cant see, the undercarriage, etc, as well as ensuring the cabin is in mint appearance. They sometimes are required to steam clean the areas where the toilets have leaked into the fuselage. Cleaning work is often not permanent either.

Trust me when I say you are better off flying as crew.

Boss Raptor
29th Jul 2004, 13:15
I am sorry to say that certainly throughout the period of my career, last 25 years, aviation/the airlines has historically paid less than outside across the board - including the Execs/Senior Management. A problem nowadays is that the business models are so tight and so entrenched it is going to hard to change it...the pax. have got used to the lower fares and the consequential lower yields for the operators :uhoh:

Having just left airline senior/exec. management for the steel industry my worth/salary has just doubled and I cant explain why either as I have same responsibility/tasks and less agro :cool:

green-eyedbabe
30th Jul 2004, 11:43
Very simply because if you don't want to do the job at that wage than there are thousands of others who would. Being a FA is a highly wnated job. Airlines play off this and understandably so!

Fair comment but personally I have seen many thousands who want the job and then many thousands leave. Personally if you want good pay and good terms and conditions go to BA, I doubt you can make a career out of charter.

How would you pay your mortgage? Have a good quality of life, have some decent savings? unless you marry someone richer, you can never have a good quality of life with charter. I know because a Nice house with a mortgage would simply cost more than the wage a month.

Cabin crew should be paid more, the pay is disgusting and airlines take advantage, yet if they paid more, gave good job security they wouldn't have to recruit every month simply because people are always leaving because they see the light and go on to other big airlines EMIRATES, BA, GULFAIR. Charter are the pits of the pits...

Dogs_ears_up
30th Jul 2004, 13:12
Charter are the pits of the pits...
Well, that's one possible opinion: As someone who has made a career out of charter, despite I doubt you can make a career out of charter. I'd suggest that it is a case of different strokes for different folks. You don't make your job better by putting my job down.

green-eyedbabe
30th Jul 2004, 15:00
dogs-ears-up,

I'm not putting your job down, I have down charter, only for a few months and its not for me.

No more night flights unless i'm going to Hong kong!!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks. yes indeed it is. I cannot see myself working for charter for 30+ years but that is me, of course I don't see anything wrong if someone makes a career out of it.

I'm very lucky to have landed an excellent job with an excellent airline earning excellent money in comparision to what I used to get. ( I'm also doing long haul), which is what I enjoy most.

BoeingMEL
30th Jul 2004, 15:22
With respect...... so, you dream about that job for maybe years.... apply to everyone...attend interview(s).... start the job... and only then find out about the wages? With that sort of mentality maybe you're overpaid on £9k? How come you so easily found out what cleaners are paid..... but couldn't check cc wages?

You're having a laugh!

It's never to late though.......

KITCHEN IF CAN'T STAND YOU HEAT THE KEEP OF THE OUT!

Rearrange the above on one of your many days off.

Good luck with the mop and bucket. bm

PropellerPaul
30th Jul 2004, 21:17
Who are you working for 'sullyd'? Are you working hard & long days or are you quiet? At my present company I average about £1600 a month after tax. That's on about forty sectors a month ( anything from a thirty minute flight to about two and a half hours) no nightstops (for last month anyway) and about £300 commission. Which I would work out as an average yearly salary of about £24,000 gross. If I'm busier (but don't have a life) it goes up by about £2,000! I wouldn't say that that's particularly 'bad' wages for the type of job we do. I'm based in the north now & I find it more than enough to live on each month, but I doubt it would stretch that far in the south-east. As I've always said 'the future's bright, the futures orange'

Main_Tenant
30th Jul 2004, 23:16
Yes - you can move on to better things - I did that. However, you can be missing the fun life that you had there! Think carefully!

green-eyedbabe
31st Jul 2004, 08:43
I trult believe that certain airlines don't even provide fun after poor pay, so Take a look around I would say it depends on what airline you work for.

Sullyd, take a look at other airlines and do some research, you must be charter to be getting that (no offense), Try and apply for airlines with nice trips and nice pay packet.

Look after yourself now, come 25+ later and lots of fun later you release you don't own anything or have any savings, Some airlines will never look after you. You must look after number 1 and chose wisely.

B Fraser
31st Jul 2004, 11:42
As mentioned previously, it's all about supply and demand. I used to have a great job and effectively did a hobby for a living, zero stress, looked forward to going to work however the wages were complete :yuk:

I changed industries some time back and now have a job where I've had to drop hobbies, my mobile is on 24 x 7 and I'm permanently tired but I don't worry about paying the bills. (available trolley dollies can email me off-line ;) )

If you want a fun life, stay as you are, if you want to make the big bucks, go to Uni, work hard and you'll get there.:ok:

The Enema Bandit
1st Aug 2004, 03:40
Why do you get paid such crap? Probably because that's all you deserve.

sinala1
1st Aug 2004, 04:26
How could we possibly expect any form of intelligent response from someone with a nickname such as that???

Please dont anyone acknowledge him with any other responses, its truly not worth it...

craic1510
1st Aug 2004, 07:51
[COLOR=red]QUOTE: The Enema Bandit "Why do you get paid such crap? Probably because that's all you deserve "

You disgust me! I am not even gonna waste my time trying to remotely excuse what you have just said. A comment like that is really going to anger a lot of people on this site, not just myself, so if you know what is good for you, I would back off.

I apologise to all others on this forum, for what may seem to be a rude post, but I am really :mad: off - as you can tell.

craic1510

sinala1
1st Aug 2004, 08:25
Folks I will say again, dont respond to the Enema Bandit - he is a well known trouble causer on other threads, just trying to provoke a reaction...

timzsta
1st Aug 2004, 08:40
When I was Dispatching at EGSS the cleaners were on more then the Dispatchers. The reason is simply supply & demand as others said. Being a Dispatcher is seen as one of the best jobs (outside of Flight Deck or CC) that you can do on the airport. Hence lots of people apply for it, no shortage of replacements when people leave and so low wages.

Nobody wants to spend 12 hours a day working on the toilet bowser. Therefore higher salary.

Dogs_ears_up
1st Aug 2004, 11:31
The Enema Bandit has the misfortune to communicate via the same orifice as is primarily involved in his user name - ignore him... If you doubt this, do a search of his profile and previous posts on PPrune. They reveal an attitude to Flight Attendants (and female CC in particular), that probably could not be described as "modern": They also reveal something of an obsession with matters affecting the area associated with his user name. Put all this information together, and there is a classic profile for one of Dorothy's latent friends that is trying to get out, not just of Kansas, but also a closet.

Let's let him work on his fantasies in private - We all have bigger fish to fry!

standard
1st Aug 2004, 12:41
how much would a waiter at a corner pub get?.. can they sit down half the shift.. or do their patrons sleep?:cool:

fescalised portion
1st Aug 2004, 23:12
Just pretend that every day that you go to work in a restaurant with wings and wheels. Halfway through your working day,all of your customers suddenly leave and are hurredley replaced by a bronzed, miserable bunch. Try to keep smiling and be polite.Customer service is very important in this day and age!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where or at what altiitude your eatery is, you will never get rich working there.