PDA

View Full Version : Becoming A Pilot - Some Adivce Needed Please

Martin384
15th Jul 2004, 14:25
Firstly, can I just apologise if this is in the wrong section - I'm just hoping that as many professional pilots as possible will read this as I am looking for some advice with regard to becoming a commercial pilot myself. Can I also just say that I am not one of those 'dreamers' who have more of a chance going to the moon than becoming a pilot (I'm sure a lot of people say that as well!:p ).

I'm a 20 year old student from Glasgow and I will be entering my fourth and final year of a geography and politics degree course at university in September. I originally wanted to be a teacher and I know that some of you, as a result of this, may question the extent to which I want to be a pilot but the truth is it's something I've wanted to do from a young age - it's just that I thought it was out of my reach - something that would be too difficult to achieve. However, with only one year left at uni, a big part of me wants to go for it but I really want to know if I'm going to be capable enough to become a commercial pilot as I don't want to waste my time or indeed that of an airline. The fact is, I already have a considerable amount of debt as a result of student loans etc and to be honest I don't want to go down the route of self-funding etc. So my aim, should I decide to take the plunge, would be to try and secure sponsorship from an airline (British Airways is the only one I know of that offers individuals this opportunity - are there any others?:confused: ).

At high school I got 6 grade 1s (the best you can get) at Standard Grade (the same as GCSEs) in: Biology, chemistry, Maths, Computing, Geography and French and a grade 2 in English. In my Highers (roughly the same as A-levels) I got A grades in English, Geography, Biology and a grade B in chemistry. I undertook Maths at Intermediate 2 level (only slightly more difficult than the standard grade level and easier than a higher) and I got an A but this is one my biggest concerns with regard to being a pilot - to what extent does one need to be good at maths? Obviously I know that figures are a big part of the job but in your professional opinion do you think I have any chance of being a commercial pilot if my Maths isn't 100% (is the mathematical aspect of the job something that can be 'learned' as such or do you really need to have a mathematical mind. I am willing to put in the work regarding the maths aspect but I'm sure you would agree, even with the best will in the world - sometimes you just can't get your head around something.

Having looked into the British Airways sponsorship scheme I am happy to say that I meet the specified entrance criteria but I am well aware that commercial pilots are clever clever people and a part of me thinks that these entrance requirements are too easy and that should I be invited to an interview (if that's what happens - I'm not sure) I'll have no chance especially next to applicants who have flying experience, engineering degrees etc. Are there any internet sites with relevant apptitude tests or questions which would indicate whether or not I would be suited to a career as a commercial pilot as this, I feel, would be extremely helpful.

I'd appreciate hearing from any real commercial pilots out there or anyone else who thinks they can offer me any useful advice. I was thinking about going to Glasgow Airport and paying £150 for a 1 hour flight - I know many ppl buy these for others as a gift but I thought it would at least give me an introduction to the world of flight.

Basically, I'd appreciate any comments about all the above and also where you think I should start - do I start reading books on pilot training, internet sites? or upon finishing my degree should I just apply to BA or another airline for a sponsorship place without any experience.

If you think that my lack of flying experience, physics and mathematics and the like would make it difficult for me to be a pilot then I'd rather you told me so that I don't get my hopes up for nothing.

Sorry about the long-winded post lol! - I think I'm going for some kind of record!

Nonetheless, I'd appreciate your views and comments.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Penworth
15th Jul 2004, 15:08
Hi Martin, welcome to pprune. I must admit I was in exactly the same position as you, almost finishing uni in Glasgow and wanting to pursue a career as a pilot. Read this and other websites as much as you can, it contains a wealth of information and will likely as not answer most questions you've got. Look at the sticky thread at the top of the professional training and groundschool forum to get you started!

To answer some of your questions specifically, I wouldn't get too concerned over the maths requirement. I've done all the theoretical exams and there's not much above standard grade mathematics in there. As for when you're actually flying, as long as you can do some simple mental arithmetic, you should be fine.

I would advise doing the gapan test, as it should give you a good idea whether or not you have the aptitude for flying. Also, definitely go for a trial lesson or two to make sure you enjoy flying! I'd recommend going down to Prestwick as the flying club there is a good bit cheaper than the one at Glasgow.

Assuming you like it, and want to pursue it, the next most important thing is to get yourself down to Gatwick for a class 1 medical, as without this there's no chance of a career as a commercial pilot. I think this costs a little over £400 nowadays.

British Airways don't sponsor people just now (since 9/11) but CTC McAlpine do, so it would be well worth getting in touch with them. Also, Britannia tend to run a sponsorship scheme for people in your position (ie. little or no flight experience). Also worth contacting is Atlantic airlines at Coventry, who run a cadet scheme, but I think you need a PPL before you can apply. There's one or two other airlines that sponsor from time to time but they tend to be part sponsorships, meaning you're paying up to £30k of the training costs.

Hope this helps.

PW

Delta Echo Bravo
16th Jul 2004, 13:06
Hi Martin

I've read your post, there's alot of questions there and I'm very short on time. Send me a private message and I'll e-mail you back when I'm back at base, but the main answer is, yes it is worth doing!!!!

Martin384
16th Jul 2004, 19:37
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it! I'll have a good look through the other posts in this site and I'll check out the airlines you suggested - thanks.

fhchiang
17th Jul 2004, 00:38
hello..
just wondering.......

did u take physics?

Martin384
18th Jul 2004, 20:04
no, i'm afraid I didn't take physics - biology and chemistry instead:(

G-IG
19th Jul 2004, 10:31
Martin384,

I would try going down the CTC McAlpine route, I fly from Glasgow and 3 students from my club have been offered sponsorships in New Zealand (flying for EasyJet and Thomas Cook). It would be adviseable to go up for a trial lesson, just to see how it suits you, however I would not spend too much money gaining hours for your PPL as CTC training starts you back at the very beginning and then all the way to ATPL.

Flying is a little bit cheaper from PIK, but from GLA you get the experience of a busier controlled zone as well as a busier ATC, plus the views over Loch Lomond and beyond!!

Best of Luck!

747 Downwind
19th Jul 2004, 21:24
HELLO MARTIN:D

Lets start with some questions... do you really really want it?
If the answer is YES, then I suspect you will have no problems. I was reading your profile and attempting to calibrate your Scottish qualifications into English... too much hard work, but it seems to me that your grades are above average.

'.. commercial pilots are clever clever people'

I use to think just like you but it is worrying how dense some of them really are.. nowadays anyway.

It would appear by your academic acheivements and enthusiasm that you're quite suited to a carrier in commercial aviation, but take Penworth's advice with the GAPAN Test as if your spatial awareness and hand to eye co-ordination were to be pants then investing the money would not be wise (also take the Class 1, but at your age unless your blind as a bat and as a deaf as... as something that doesn't hear very well, then you'll breeze the medical).

Airlines that sponsor.. hmmm.. FlyBE and there are others but it's few and far between.. subsribe to Flight International.
If you go self-sponsored it sounds like you'll have no problems, but for the sponsorship you gotta be spot on- try psychometric tests.. maths and physics now become very important.. I came close to getting one myself but they are fiercely competitive.. almost 100:1.

Let me know how you get on, best of luck:ok: