PDA

View Full Version : Wannabees with a few questions

BIG MISTER
15th Jul 2004, 11:17
Hi

I'm getting a little tired of trying to get the US schools interested in giving me a J1 visa. Seems that for all the adverts saying 'we will give you a J1 so that you can come and instruct for 2 years' the fact is.....er...well...er...maybe...possibly....er...dunno ! ! !

I've not given up yet but its time to think about other places. Now seeing as I eat about 100lbs of Biltong a week maybe SA would be a good place to consider ? :}

What I would like to do is to build upon my JAA PPL and get a CPL with IR and Multi and then look to hours build as an instructor to a point where a future employer stops looking at my age and more at my hours and flying history.

So dear friends what would you recommend as a good value school with good instructors + accomodation + area + possible instructor employment after the courses ?

Also anyone know how easy it is to turn a SA ME CPL IR CFI into a JAA ATPL ?

Cheers BMr

:ok:

DualDriver
15th Jul 2004, 14:14
Try 43 Air School in Port Alfred. They can finish you off and possibly even Instructor's work with a 2 year contract.

Their number is +27 46 624 2433.
E-mail them at [email protected] or check out their website at www.43airschool.com

Good Luck
:ok:

dartlylou
15th Jul 2004, 15:08
Hey man, I looked into so much of this stuff as a comm pilot when my brother wanted to learn. 43 school in SA was seriously a great bet. Fab guys and a wonderful set up. However I have no idea how things go re European licences - sorry for that. Best of luck and dont underestimate how wonderful SA can be even if I did get Car jacked last year as an Aussie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Tower
15th Jul 2004, 17:04
Hi there Big Mister

43 are probably the most well known school in SA but there are also fine schools at Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and George. I can't comment on the Jo'burg area as I have no experience of them.

I'm not sure what nationality you are but as a foreigner getting permission to work in SA isn't easy. Best way is by marrying someone or so it seems.

As for converting to a JAR licence having a CPL/IR issued in an ICAO state does make things easier and cheaper.

You will still need to do the 14 JAR ATPL theory subjects

The minimum training requirements for the JAR CPL are shelved and the training that you require is purely at the descretion of the training organisation.

With regard to the IR the 50 hour JAR course becomes a minimum of 15 if you hold an ICAO IR, 10 hours of which can be completed in a suitably approved simulator. This reduces the cost by about two thirds.

To unfreeze the ATPL you will need 1500 hours of which 500 must be as part of multi crew operations. Under the JARs you need to have completed a Multi Crew course before you can get type rated on a multi-crew aeroplane, the one thing I don't know is if you have a type rating for a multi crew aeroplane on your ICAO licence whether you still need to do a multi crew course.:ugh:

Best wishes

GT

Stassiebal
15th Jul 2004, 22:25
GT summed it up very nicely.

I'm in that exact position at the moment. Going doe to Bristol on Sunday for the mandatory 2 week brush up course before my (hopefully) last set of exams.

The 15 IR hours you need to do is the minimum though. According to most of the schools I have spoken to people normally do about 20. Airspace is a lot busier over here than back in SA so things can get a bit out of hand.

As far as air schools in SA are concerned.... there are many many great ones. I would suggest that if you have the time and the money.... go down there for a couple of weeks and visit as many of them as you can and make up your own mind. I did my PPL at 43 most of my flying with Stellenbosch Flying club and my IR and ME with Cape Aero club. All great institutions.

Best of luck and I hope you get some results!

D

chuks
16th Jul 2004, 20:54
You might try: [email protected]

That's the Moncton Flying College, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. A Canadian license, unlike a US license, is an ICAO license. That's about all I know about it, but the school came recommended to me by someone who had gone there.

I am sure that South Africa would be cheaper, plus the weather has to be better year-round.

Good luck, in any case.

d_devilliers
17th Jul 2004, 07:58
Hi

I was hoping to get some advice from people who have already gone through the new-CPL job search. I'm a South African who recently finished my CPL in Canada, and I'm thinking of heading back to SA to try and find some flying work in Botswana or Namibia (or anywhere really). Of course I have about 200 hours on the dot. Can anyone give me any advice on finding work in Africa? Can I do a road trip or is it better to stick around for a while and hope to get lucky? I would really appreciate any help.

Cheers

Gauteng Pilot
17th Jul 2004, 15:58
All I can say is good luck
Know a couple guys with about 1200 Hours and cant find proper work

DualDriver
19th Jul 2004, 05:27
BECOME A CHOPPER DRIVER...

To hover is DEVINE...

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Jelly Doughnut
19th Jul 2004, 08:39
Big Mister

I did CPL/IR/ME at 43 myself, in 1999/2000, and can highly recommend it. They are now busier than ever and you will need to book a place months in advance, also its probably more expensive than other schools, but it still is a fantastic place to learn and fly. They do take on former students as instructors, you should speak to the CFI, Steve Goodrick, or Frik Schoombee.

Another school with good reputation is Blue Chip aviation in Pretoria. They also do a package for CPL/IR/ME/instructor rating, with a chance of work afterwards.

As for converting your license, George has summed it up nicely, first priority should be to get your JAA ATPL exams passed. Sooner you start, the better, you should do them distance learning whilst doing the flying training in SA as they are also good preparation for the SA CPL exams!

If you have a full ICAO ATPL with multi-pilot type rating (multi-pilot according to the manufacturer, ie 737/A320, not Beech 200!) and you have min. 500 hours on type, you can do an ATPL flight test on a simulator with a JAR examiner to convert your ATPL. This also exempts you from the MCC course. Not applicable to you yet, do the exams first :ok:

Good luck
JD

AfricanSkies
29th Jul 2004, 22:20
"If you have a full ICAO ATPL with multi-pilot type rating (multi-pilot according to the manufacturer, ie 737/A320, not Beech 200!) and you have min. 500 hours on type, you can do an ATPL flight test on a simulator with a JAR examiner to convert your ATPL."

?? Please confirm this. Didn't there used to be a rule of 1500 PIC over 30t or 3000 P2 over 30t, then a couple of exams (airlaw and procedures) and they would convert. Anyone know the latest status please?:ok:

Jelly Doughnut
30th Jul 2004, 05:06
AfricanSkies, I think that's correct..:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jul 2004, 07:36
If you want to try Blue Chip you should call Udo and discuss things with him. He's running the school now and can give you the gen regarding staying on as an instructor et al.....