PDA

View Full Version : Thanks For The Flypast, Chaps!

BEagle
15th Jul 2004, 10:33
Good to see a pair of TypHoons go whizzing over BEagle Towers (doubtless on their way to RIAT) a couple of minutes ago!

Unusual noise - but nice!

Hopefully some local lads/lasses will have looked up and thought "That's what I want to do!". A bit like I did watching 208 AFS jets at Merryfield about 50 years ago!

allan907
15th Jul 2004, 11:07
Beags - they're probably thinking, "We could buy a new hospital for the cost of one of those things". Plus ca change! (Say what you like about the French - at least they've given us stupid sayings that we can throw into a conversation willy nilly)

Bear 555
15th Jul 2004, 11:19
BEagle,

Despite my kids watching them every day from school here they are still determined to make the journey to Fairford at the weekend.

I'm sure the summer hols will be spent with noses pressed against the Freckleton crash-gate. Both (age 15 and 16) are determined to follow careers in the Armed Forces.

Cheers,

Bear 555

Windy Militant
15th Jul 2004, 12:24
Just had a fairly low pass over work (next door to Harwell AEA) by one of those Italian Twin prop transports and his mate in a jet trainer also no doubt en route to RIAT!

Groundgripper
15th Jul 2004, 12:28
Funny that you should comment on the noise, BEagle, I saw a pair on approach to Warton last week and thought the same myself. Very distinctive tone - only heard it at low speed with, presumably, the engines throttled back, though. Not quite in the same league as the Hunter 'blue note'.........yet!

GG

Bear 555
15th Jul 2004, 12:34
Funny noise could be a cross between a Tornado and F-15 prehaps?

Bear 555

360BakTrak
15th Jul 2004, 13:00
They went over my house at Brockworth too.....thought it was an unusual noise as well which is why I looked up.......(I'm not a spotter, honest!):p

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Jul 2004, 15:26
Aha, that explains it. Heard an unusual sounding fast jet over Cheltenham - nairy glimpsed a flash of tail dissapearing behing a chimney pot and though it might have been a latest model F16.

Kolibear
16th Jul 2004, 07:14
Same topic - different aircraft.

I haven't a clue what a Canberra was doing in south Essex, near Hanningfield Res, last night, but thanks all the same. It was low-level heading roughly southwest and its been a few years since I've seen one in flight.

Also, this time last year I was on post-operartive vacation and I posted on Private Flying that I'd be in the garden, with airband radio, binoculars, back copies of 'Pilot' and an old anorak. I warned all the local flyers to be on their best R/T behaviour as I'd be listening. Co-incidentally, the next day, a C130 came over & made 3 orbits. We just don't get Herculii in this part of the world, so whoever you were - thanks! :O

whowhenwhy
16th Jul 2004, 07:34
The PR9 was going darn sarf for a flypast, sorry can't remember where Marham said that he was going. It might have been to Henlow but please nobody quote me! As far as the herc is concerned, don't know how far sarf you are but they do a lot of work with the airborne mob at Colchester and Wattisham. Might have been doing something there? Maybe even flying into Southend. I'm sure the air force and Marshalls at Cambridge still send stuff down to Southend to have the occasional bit of work done. Painting I think??

airborne_artist
16th Jul 2004, 07:55
Mrs Arstist came in yesterday mid-pm all excited as she'd seen 5 red , blue and white jets, in V formation, heading N, and we are just on the SW edge of Benson MATZ. Perhaps they too were RIAT-bound?

Any ideas on type/nationality?

allan907
16th Jul 2004, 08:16
If you ask Mrs Artist where she was born it might give you a clue on her nationality. A pronounced accent may also give a pointer or two. As for type, well, you ought to know better than the rest of us.

airborne_artist
16th Jul 2004, 08:20
A907

Mrs A is a fair English Rose, and far better than I deserve.

Now get your into-the-past and over-the-horizon binos out and tell me the :mad: ing a/c type so I can continue to impress her with my knowledge of all things airborne....

Dr Falken
16th Jul 2004, 12:44
Beagle,

Typhoon often makes approaches and joins the cct at the North West Wales base, which must help morale for the future front-line pilots here. Unfortunately, I suspect their dreams of flying it are unlikely to be realised in the near(ish) future. They'll just need to get a tour or 2 in on one of our more gentle front-line jets we have first...

...If we have any left after the cuts....

Dr Falken

BEagle
16th Jul 2004, 12:55
Is that 1 or 2 types or jets.....??

I thoroughly enjoyed all my time at Valley (Gnat/Hunter 1975 and Hawk pre-Chiv 1980..was it really 24 years ago??) - and that was before there was a decent dual carriageway escape road out of the place......and you still had to get out on the Menai/Bangor route.

Guess I must be odder than even I thought I was. Why do you all hate it so these days?

Stitchbitch
16th Jul 2004, 15:56
Reds came over earlier (thanks lads, just got the 4 weekold to sleep!) and we've just had a JP and Hunter pair across...pity about the vis!
cheers
StitchB

kippermate
16th Jul 2004, 17:25
A TypHoon came to Woodvale a few weeks back for a few ccts. Fantastic.
:D

It took a while to placate the natives though:hmm: