PDA

View Full Version : 20/20 eye-sight

tony_hk
15th Jul 2004, 06:19
Hi fellow forumers,

I read through the forums and found much useful information. Thank you for all your inputs.

OK, here is my question: To be considered for the cadet pilot position, I aware that I should have 20/20 eye sight with or without glassess. I do not need glasses and I don't think I have any eye disease but I was unsure whether my sight can meet the requirement. I therefore went to a optical shop last night and told the staff that I want a pair of glasses to correct my sight to 20/20. The technican conducted the test for me but he could not get the suitable lens for me to see all the words on the 20/20 board clearly (I can only get half of them correct). Does this mean that I do not have the required sight? I am wondering if the test is reliable enough (the room was a bit dim). Also, I want to know is the 20/20 actually a very stringent requirement? or actually most of the people can get a 20/20 sight with the help of glassess?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Ropey Pilot
15th Jul 2004, 11:15
tony,

Would get a second opinion from another optician.

Mrs Ropey had deteriorating sight for years and finally put vanity behind her and got specs. Improved her sight no end but still not 20/20 (or 6/6 as we are now in 'new money' in the UK). Sight continued to get worse and glasses (and later, contacts) were not as good as they used to be. Several times she was told the prescription was fine and nothing more could be done.

After a year or two she went to a different optician who diagnosed astigmatism (sp?) and different contacts for the problem- her eyesight (corrected) now is at least as good as mine (better than 6/6).

Moral - just because they are wearing a white coat don't automatically assume they are infallible:eek:

16th Jul 2004, 13:34
I think the days are long gone now where you're required to have 20/20 vision in order to be a pilot.

So long as you can hold a Class One medical, I think that's all that matters.

I was sponsored as a speccy four eyes (altho my medical doesn't restrict me to wearing glasses).

Before you embark on anything - I'd get the medical sorted.

tony_hk
16th Jul 2004, 15:03
Thanks for all replies.

5150, what I meant is that the optician cannot correct my sight to 20/20 even with the help of the lens. He said actually for my sight (with around 25 to 50 short-sight), I didn't need any glasses at all.

rtj
19th Jul 2004, 12:07
Here's a suggestion:

Go to:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf

and print off the CAA Class 1 Initial Visual Stadard and take it to another optician to see if you meet this standard rather than whether they can corrcet your eyesight to being perfect.

This has a couple of advantages, 1) it is as sure as you can be before you actually go for a class 1 and will tell you if you need specs to pass a class 1; and 2) there are a few tests they have to do which aren't in a standard eye test (such as colour, peripheral vision etc).

Hope this helps.

rtj

redsnail
19th Jul 2004, 12:57
G'day Tony,
Have you looked at the Cathay Pacific's (http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/careers/paths/0,,60144-60539-3,00.html) cadet programme info?
From what I can see (excuse the pun) there's no specified eye sight requirements. (Other than good).

Why don't you call Cathay and see what they recommend regarding eye sight?
I haven't found a link to the HK CAA sorry.

flite idol
19th Jul 2004, 13:22
The general standard used to be 20/20 or better! If you were better you did not need lenses to regress your vision back to 20/20. What is the standard to hold a class one? They always ask me to read the 20/20 line!

rtj
19th Jul 2004, 14:50
The initial Class 1 standard is 6/6 with both eyes (the bottom line of the chart) and 6/9 in each eye separately (second from bottom I think). If you can't meet these without glasses there are limits on the refractive error of + or - 5 dioptres taking into account any astigmatism and the difference between your eyes mustn't be more than 2 dioptres (I think). The standards for a renewal are less stringent as well I think.

This is just for distance vision, there are other requirements you have to meet for near vision and peripheral vision and stuff.

tony_hk
21st Jul 2004, 16:11
Thanks for all replies.

I have made up my mind. Instead of looking for another optican. I will try to proceed to next stage interview and let Cathay to carry out the detailed examination for me.