PDA

View Full Version : Low pax plane over Shipston on Stour, Warks

EbonyGrove
14th Jul 2004, 20:56
There was a breaking news story on The Bear 102 (local radio based in Stratford Upon Avon) at around 10am stating that a number of people had rung the police as a:

"medium sized passenger aircraft was seen overhead Shipston on Stour at a few hundred feet above ground apparently with very loud engines and appeared to be struggling..."

Anyone shed any light on this as it seems a very strange occurance given the position of Shipston in relation to any airport, the closest being EGBW (Wellesbourne) which is a couple of miles north and grossly inadequate to take what was described as a medium-sized aircraft. Im aware that the media tend to hype things like this up (and skimp on detail) and that eyewitness accounts are not always correct.

James

Terror_is_firmer
14th Jul 2004, 23:22
Sniff, Sniff........................I smell a journalist

tyne
15th Jul 2004, 04:34
So what if James is a Journalist. Perhaps he was attracted by the "NEWS" element of this site wanting to find out more.

Are you not allowed to be a journalist and have an interest in aviation? Are you not allowed to be a journalist and use the WORLD WIDE WEB to find out more?

I am a journalist. I have an interest in avaiation. I regularly use this and other sites to get information and perspectives on stories. I certainly wouldn't put anything I read on here straight to air or print without checking.

I was pointed to this site by several flying friends - Civil and military by the way.

What is wrong with a journalist - a member of the public with a perfect right to use the Web - asking questions?

Perhaps you would feel better operating in a country that restricts the media.

Face it, we live in a free society with a free media.

I am not defending bad reporting - that happens and it makes me just as angry as many people on the board here.

Sniff Sniff - I smell ignorance and fear.

BANANASBANANAS
15th Jul 2004, 06:17
Its a fair call Tyne.

We just get a bit peed off at non events being turned into headlines such as "pilot avoids crashing into primary school and convent whilst bravely dealing with a busted bulb in the aft bog which was probably sabotaged by OBL."

I have nothing against honest investigative journalism at all. Its when editors try to make the news rather than report it that we tend to see red.

Nige321
15th Jul 2004, 07:05
Was this in hours of darkness??

I only ask as Halfpenny Green (Sorry Wolverhampton Business Airport... :hmm: ) occasionaly has nocturnal visits from C130s... Usually a go-around and usually with no lights...

Nige

eal401
15th Jul 2004, 08:54
Change the record Terror_is_firmer. It's posts like yours that steadily erode this forum's popularity.

TDK mk2
15th Jul 2004, 09:04
eal401:

did you see Danny's announcement? Perhaps you should edit that post...

corsair
15th Jul 2004, 09:06
But to get back to the point and to indulge in informed/uninformed speculation. My guess is that the aircraft was military, possiblly a C130 indulging in whatever? In an area not often frequented by aircraft, ie away from bigger bases and airports. People are not familiar with the sight and sounds of low flying aircraft think something must be wrong. C130's are often to be seen low level and tactical. At places like Dunkeswell in Devon sometimes very low indeed.........

kishna
15th Jul 2004, 10:37
Its not uncommon to see 1 or 2 C130's or Tornados hurtling over, just north of the old Gaydon airfield heading towards Shipston. apparently with very loud engines . Yep that sounds like an Albert - especially if it is only a few hundred feet above your heed!

Notso Fantastic
15th Jul 2004, 11:27
I like the '......appeared to be struggling' bit- from a layman! How does such an aeroplane 'struggle'? Was the pilot desperately holding the controls, shrieking for his colleague to help hold them far over, while the airframe shuddered, and the school was filling their windows, desperately heading for the only clear space in sight........or was a Herc pilot showing off to his Mum at the bottom of her garden?

sharpshot
15th Jul 2004, 12:41
Come on - if you think about EbonyGrove 's handle - check your Jepp's - I think he knows a bit about aviation;)

Avman
15th Jul 2004, 13:08
They are not Ebony's words anyway! He's only quoting what was said.

df1
15th Jul 2004, 13:48
I'm starting to think UFO's now! Frequently spotted in these parts I understand. Most often around booting out time.

EbonyGrove
15th Jul 2004, 16:59
Apologies for positing this in what was the wrong section for this thread.

Thanks for the "differing" replies guys, yes I was quoting what was said on the radio, but I am by no means a journalist! I fly from Wellesbourne from time to time and have a number of contacts who are based there who also knew nothing about this "event", hence why I posted, partly on behalf of them :)

To answer Nige321, it was reported at about 1000 local.

hobie
15th Jul 2004, 19:21
EG ..... Military and Cargo Aircraft can sometimes be a bit more Flamboyant! .....

I know some guys who from time to time do things with an AN 124 that would make even "NSF" rattle his tea cup!!! ;) ;) ;)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/620197/L/

Notso Fantastic
15th Jul 2004, 21:04
Takes a lot to rattle my teacup! I was walking my dogs in a country park near Portsmouth, on the side of a very narrow valley. With a tremendous racket, I watched enthralled as a Herc and two Puma helicopters in tight formation passed below me flying along the valley, very sedately, and very very close. Wonderful! But I spent the next 5 minutes trying to round up 3 hysterical sheepdogs. Great fun though- I hope the crews enjoyed it as much as I watching!

GWYN
15th Jul 2004, 21:21
Is it just a coincidence that RIAT is at Fairford this weekend - not far down the road in a C130 (or anything else), and there is a gathering of them there?

hobie
16th Jul 2004, 20:55
NSF ... my fella just stood there and watched !!!!

http://www.geocities.com/hobie_1_1999/hobiesphotossix.html?1090012044210

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Notso Fantastic
16th Jul 2004, 23:16
He seems more interested in looking for rabbits than Conc taking off overhead! I was in the position of trying to round up 3 hysterical sheepdogs!

ShyTorque
17th Jul 2004, 00:02
The Pumas and Herc were jus' pretending they could do air to air refuelling. ;)