PDA

View Full Version : inverted spin

ashjames
14th Jul 2004, 17:45
sorry if this is the wrong forum but i wondered if anyone knows what an inverted spin is so far ive been told that its the same as a normal one just upside down or that its one with a negitive airspeed can any one tell me which one it is?
thanks ash.

ShyTorque
14th Jul 2004, 18:17
Ash,

It's where the aircraft is physically inverted, but still nose down. To the pilot, it appears that he is spinning upwards towards the ground. Many aircraft will come out of the spin if the controls are released but if not, the stick is moved BACK, rather than the forward stick needed to recover from a fully developed, normal erect spin. The (piston) engine is likely to stop if the aircraft doesn't have an inverted fuel supply, which makes it more exciting, but may start again all by itself as the aircraft recovers.

Dagger Dirk
15th Jul 2004, 13:34
Yaw will always be opposite to the roll and it will usually be very disorienting. It may take a bit longer but the best recovery is a perfect centralize.

Had one once where a tip-tank came off the fore and the aft locating spigots because they'd not been shimmed after a NDT test and the central bolt was also loosely undertorqued. Of course it took a Porteus Loop (high speed flick manoeuvre) to uncover that fact. It was then a very wild ride of +3.5g and -3.0g (fluctuating between the two) as the tip-tank rotated at the wing-tip. Hardest thing was persuading the chap in the other seat not to abandon ship. Recovery took about 9500ft.

That airplane never flew right again because it had been asymetrically understressed. It flick-rolled at the buffet (buzz/buffet/judder) because one side was all "give" and the other side wasn't.

It ended up in the hands of ARDU and budding TP's were always being tasked to analyze why it was such a weirdo. JP's and Tucano, PC-9 all spin inverted very differently because of their different B/A ratios. Recommend not trying it because it's like practising dying.

ashjames
18th Jul 2004, 18:26
thanks for the help in sorting that out in fact i saw one today over plymouth sound after the power boat racing was over what i would do to take a spin in his plane :D i think it was an extra 300

Mach the Knife
20th Jul 2004, 18:43
Inverted spin in a Tucano is an easy ride, in fact it is less oscillatory and more comfortable than the erect spin, the tricky thing is actually getting it into the inverted spin in the first place. All RAF student Tucano pilots are taught and expected to recover from inverted spins and, although a little more disorientating, is quite simple. PC9 and JP are not cleared for intentional inverted spinning. In the Tucano the recovery drill is the same as for the erect spin.