PDA

View Full Version : 2000 hrs flying time

tony_hk
14th Jul 2004, 15:57
Hi fellow forumers,

I would like to be a pilot. I am 25 and trying to enter the CX cadet programme. Because of my age, if I fail unfortunately (you know the selection is real competitive), I think I can only try for 1 or 2 more times.

My question is, how do you guys gain the 2000 hrs flying time required for the direct entry S/O? I tried to approach some flight schools/ clubs. But the fee of the flight school is very expensive and the path through the flight club is pretty long. Any other alternatives? What path did you take? Could u pls share a few lines? Am I starting too late?

Many thanks,
Tony

PicMas
14th Jul 2004, 16:12
No, you are not starting too late.

I don't know where you got the 2000hrs from?!? Seems succesful applicants come from a variety of backgrounds, instruction, light piston to heavy jet.

About getting some competitive credentials for the DE S/O position. I don't think you could buy enough hours, flying around the flagpole in a C150 just don't pull enough weight (no offense intended towards C150's or flagpoles).

You probably need to obtain your licenses/ certificates and work your way up. There are several ways all depending on where you reside.

I just received the application package which means that I meet the posted minimums which include 1000hrs. It does however NOT mean that an interview is just around the corner to be realistic. But it's a start and now it's all about staying in the game. Logging more hours getting more experience. and hopefully one day the telephone call may come.

As stated above, I am not employed by CX and the above is just my version of how it works. I'm sure Cathay pilots will have a lot more knowledge to share.

I'm 29 now, and not too concerned with the age issue. At 25 you shouldn't be even if you have to start from scratch.

Good luck with your Cadet selection tests!

MAS

Hydrolix
15th Jul 2004, 04:15
True, 25 yo is not too old. The cadet programme has produced pilots from 20 to 33 (that I know of), in fact 25 is the average age.

When it comes to Direct Entry, Cathay goes for "Experience for Age", therefore, if too identical applicants apply with same attributes, personalities and experience, obviously Cathay is going to take the younger person.

As I said, this is not the case with the Cadet Programme. I suggest not giving up on the Cadet Programme, go and get a PPL and work your A#@ off to get into the Cadet Programme.

Good Luck

tony_hk
22nd Jul 2004, 12:33
Thanks, Hydrolix and PicMas. This is helpful.