PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

bawbag
14th Jul 2004, 07:23
Hi

I'm going to be applying for jobs in a few months after returning to the UK.

I have a question about my eyes. Can pilots wear glasses to correct vision? If so, I heard it was only long-sighted problems.. is this true?

I need to know the score before I apply and I'm having a test as soon as I get back to Blighty.

I'm worried about my eyes at the moment as my Ozzie girlfriend can see farther in the distance to read signs than me! Perhaps its all the Japanese signs that are getting to me- fluorescent and flashing all the time.

All help appreciated lots.

Thanks
scotto

soggyboxers
14th Jul 2004, 22:22
bawbag,

I wear varifocal spectacles that correct for both near and distant vision. I think you'll find that it's not a problem provided the total correction is not more than a specified number of diopters.

When you take the eyesight tests for the UK medical, you're allowed to wear your spectacles if you can't do the tests without them. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Good luck.

soggy

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Jul 2004, 23:08
It is probably all my fault but the repetitiveness with which these questions come up makes me sometimes lose the will to live.

If I was not such a nice guy I would say something along the lines of: 'If you're eyesight is so poor that you can not read the advice on doing a search in the stickies' you probably can not see well enough to fly.

But as I am nice I will refrain from this and once more suggest that people do a SEARCH and/or have a look at the website specific to their licensing authoritiy, in this case the CAA.

You can there find the standards for a class one and you can also read on there that you can were corrective glasses providing that the correct required is not more than a certain amount of diopters.

Best of luck.

FD

Flyin'Dutch'
It is probably all my fault but the repetitiveness with which these questions come up makes me sometimes lose the will to live.

If I was not such a nice guy I would say something along the lines of: 'If you're eyesight is so poor that you can not read the advice on doing a search in the stickies' you probably can not see well enough to fly.

But as I am nice I will refrain from this and once more suggest that people do a SEARCH and/or have a look at the website specific to their licensing authoritiy, in this case the CAA.

You can there find the standards for a class one and you can also read on there that you can were corrective glasses providing that the correct required is not more than a certain amount of diopters.

Best of luck.

FD

Flyin'Dutch'

Best of luck.

FD

Flyin'Dutch'

Best of luck.

FD

Flyin'Dutch'

Best of luck.

FD

Oops something must have gone wrong when I pressed the 'GO' button; however looks quite funny and sort of seems to mediate the message

:D

2close
14th Jul 2004, 23:18
Nice one, Flyin' Dutch. Really appealed to my sense of humour, particularly as I'm watching 'The Office' at the same time.

Bit of a shame that you qualified it with an IT error at the end.

Best Regards,

2close

Bad medicine
15th Jul 2004, 04:24
Now now FD. Don't go taking up the bandwidth. I understand your frustration but let us look after it.

Cheers,

BM

bawbag
17th Jul 2004, 13:58
Thanks for those who replied...

One thing though... if you see a post and get annoyed because its been asked before then:

dont reply... why bother writing a post to gripe???? Am I wasting your time or are you wasting your time to reply....?

plus I haven't a bloody clue what a "dioptre" is but the message above said something to reassure me that I can use glasses which makes me feel better... so thanks to who posted that.

I think this forum should be for straightforward questions for those who want to reply. If you don't want to reply, then don't bother!

Sometimes a personal reply hits home better than reading a site- just for reassurance.

I agree to check the CAA site, but on a internet cafe, you can't download any adobe acrobat (or at least my one) or you get thrown off.

scotto.

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Jul 2004, 15:50
Scotto,

The standard for correction for the initial issue is + or - 5 Diopters (strength of correction) with that you have to be able to read 6/9 or better in each eye seperately and 6/6 in both eyes.

Astigmatism (lack of roundness of the lens) is permitted but may not require more than 2 Diopters correction.

So for the UK CAA you can wear corrective glasses but not as soggy suggests any correction.

I enjoy sharing my experience (and arguably expertise) with people who have queries about medical issues on this forum.

If people ask a question and are given factually incorrect advice I can either shrug my shoulders or post what I believe to be better advice.

It is in rather large print at the top of this forum that people are asked to 'CHECK HERE' to avoid the same questions being asked over and over again.

When you miss that and go ahead you will get a reply to your question. If the gentle ribbing you get with that is something you have an issue with then I think that will have to be your problem.

Best regards

FD