PDA

View Full Version : Bristol ATPL groundschool

D-Wolf
13th Jul 2004, 16:43
Hi there.

I am about to embark on this education as a pilot.
So far i am thinking about starting on the EFT facility in Florida.

When the choice about choosing a groundschool comes up, i have been thinking about Bristol, as their distance learning material looks outstanding (do they offer fulltime groundschool aswell?).
Is anyone doing their training at EFT, and have choosen Bristol ?
What I am concerned about, is that EFT has only set aside 6½ months for the ATPL groundschool, but reading on Bristols homepage they say, that the duration is from 8-12 months (including brushup courses). Anyone have some input about this ? how can this be ?

Also, if i choose Bristol distance learning from Florida, ofcourse i would have to travel back and forth alot of times...8 flights in total between europe and the US in the 2 years of education. But if one are to fail 1 or more of the exams, how long is it before you can resit it ?
it says on their page, that the exams are held once each month. Does that mean i would have to wait 1 month before i could try that exam again ? And what to do in that month ?..just sit in the UK twiddle thumbs and reading up on the subject, or back to US and pay air tickets once again, or is it possible to start module 2, although some exams are still missing from module 1 ?

As the student visa for flight training only last 2 years, and the training in the US is scheduled for 7 months, the ATPL groundschool for 6½ months, and flying up hours as an instructor for the rest of the time. Suddenly using 8-12 months on ATPL plus perhaps 2 months of waiting for new exams if failing 1 or more in each of the 2 modules, would leave only 3 months for gathering hours in the end, and therefore loosing the entire point of going to EFT in the first place.
Any thoughts about this ?

I am going out of my mind as to grasp this whole thing...and cant seem to find out how it works.
Hope to hear some good answers.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Dennis

FlyingForFun
13th Jul 2004, 17:10
Dennis,

Can't comment on how Bristol fits in with EFT, but I can comment on the timescale. I completed the course with Bristol in 12 months.... but I was holding down a full time job at the time, and only studying evenings/weekends. I would think that doing it in 6 months if you are working full-time on the exams is perfectly possible.

Good luck!

FFF
------------

no sponsor
13th Jul 2004, 21:02
My answers for your questions:

When the choice about choosing a groundschool comes up, i have been thinking about Bristol, as their distance learning material looks outstanding (do they offer fulltime groundschool aswell?).

NS Answer: No, they do not.

Is anyone doing their training at EFT, and have choosen Bristol ?

NS Answer: Can’t comment. Although there was a bloke on my course who was from a school in the US (florida) doing exactly what you are planning to do.

What I am concerned about, is that EFT has only set aside 6½ months for the ATPL groundschool, but reading on Bristols homepage they say, that the duration is from 8-12 months (including brushup courses). Anyone have some input about this ? how can this be ?

NS Answer: On my Bristol course, there were quite a few studying full-time. Generalising, people were taking about 8-12 weeks for module 1. Some people were completing module 2 in a quicker time frame. I think you could do it in a total of 16 weeks, plus 4 weeks for the brush up quite comfortably.

Also, if i choose Bristol distance learning from Florida, ofcourse i would have to travel back and forth alot of times...8 flights in total between europe and the US in the 2 years of education. But if one are to fail 1 or more of the exams, how long is it before you can resit it ?

NS Answer: You would only need to make 2 trips as far as I can see. One for each of the modules. Those who were studying in the States and who were on my course came across for three weeks – 2 weeks for the crammer, and the third for the exams. Of course, don’t plan on failing any subject is the easiest route, but if you do you can re-sit at any of the subsequent sittings held at the begining of each month. Depending on the subject you fail would determine when to re-sit. If you fail 1 subject, it would be realistic to start module 2, and then sit that exam when you sit the module 2 exams.

it says on their page, that the exams are held once each month. Does that mean i would have to wait 1 month before i could try that exam again ?

NS Answer: Yes, this is correct. But, you have a limited number of attempts: 6 visits in total to the exam hall, and up to four sittings for each subject. If you don’t, you have to re-sit all 14. Use your re-sits wisely!

And what to do in that month ?..just sit in the UK twiddle thumbs and reading up on the subject, or back to US and pay air tickets once again, or is it possible to start module 2, although some exams are still missing from module 1 ?

NS Answer: As indicated earlier, it’s going to depend on the subjects failed. I just hoped for the best, and started module 2 right away. Those I know who failed a subject or two are going to re-sit them with module 2 subjects. I would plan to head back to the US on the Friday after the exams (they finish on the Thursday).

As the student visa for flight training only last 2 years, and the training in the US is scheduled for 7 months, the ATPL ground school for 6½ months, and flying up hours as an instructor for the rest of the time. Suddenly using 8-12 months on ATPL plus perhaps 2 months of waiting for new exams if failing 1 or more in each of the 2 modules, would leave only 3 months for gathering hours in the end, and therefore loosing the entire point of going to EFT in the first place. Any thoughts about this ?

NS Answer: There was a thread here the other day regarding this point. However, the chap I mentioned earlier was flying for a bit in the day, and spending 5-6 hrs per day studying, or something like that. I think I’d prefer this route, since those ATPLs can get mind numbingly boring and frustrating. On the other hand, you could just to the DL and ATPLs before you go to the US.

I am going out of my mind as to grasp this whole thing...and cant seem to find out how it works.

NS Answer: Any clearer now?

chipieflyer
13th Jul 2004, 22:09
Hi Dennis,

I'm currently on the Ab Initio course at another Florida flying school and we are doing the Bristol distance learning ATPL studies as part of the course. This obviously means that I can't comment on how it will tie in with flight training at EFT but there are a few points I may be able to help with.

Timing wise the studying is being done at the same time as the flight training and although this is a lot of work it is certainly attainable, especially while just hour building.

Our ATPL exams are sat at Sanford, just outside Orlando, so it may be possible for you do the course without returning to the UK, although you'd probably be better speaking to Bristol to see about arraning this. The exams are held there once a month and you just apply to sit them there once you are ready. This obviously avoids the expense of flying back to the UK, or wasting time sitting around, for the sake of one or twio resits (which hopefully won't be an issue anyway!)

Finally, it is possible to start Module 2 without completeing all of the exams from Module 1. In fact some of us here were going to sit Module 2 first because of the way it worked out with the groundschool. The Modules are just the way that Bristol has chosen to split up the 14 exams.

Hope some of this helps

NACGS
14th Jul 2004, 01:05
If you hold just a PPL or CPL licence you must sit a residential component of the course, so you will have to return to the UK. According to the regulations we operate under this is a mandatory component of your Distance Learning course.

Exams in the USA cost an extra $US400 per sitting on top of the CAA exam fees (pays for the center, invigilators etc as this is not a CAA exam center).

This will add to the course cost, but makes it possible to stay in
the USA for the exams at least.

mattd2k
14th Jul 2004, 03:08
Dennis,

I hope I can shed some further light on your questions as I am currently doing exactly what you have suggested.

The 6½ months for the ATPL groundschool is probably just a ballpark figure they have come up with. I started my studying in March and plan to have them finished by the October sitting, so it will have taken me 7 months. I know some paople on the APP have taken longer though by doing a residential course back in the UK. I am staying in Florida while studying and do so for about 6-8 hours a day Mon-Fri, then try and get some flying done on the weekend. This way I am staying current with my flying and when I have finished my groundschool, most of my hour building should be complete also.

With regards to resits, I unfortunately missed Met by a couple of percent in June but have started ploughing into module 2 already. I had thought about resitting it in Orlando but was not happy about paying $400 for the privilege so will take it again with Module 2 in October. My one piece of advice here is to work hard at them and have a bit of confidence in yourself. If you thinking about failing exams before you have even started this is not good!

With regards to visas. Initially you will apply for an M1 visa, then after the year is up you convert to a J1. This will then give you a total of 3 years in the US.

For trips back to the UK. You will need to make 2 round trips for the groundschool with Bristol, as the classroom element is compulsory. You will then need to make another trip to sit the flight test for your IR in Shoreham, but I imagine you could do this on your return after instructing.

Well I hope this answers some of your questions.

No sponsor, were you on the Mod 1 brush-up in May?