PDA

View Full Version : Error..."Unmountable Boot Volume".

BRL
13th Jul 2004, 10:20
Hi all. My pc will not start up, I get this error just after the windows XP logo at startup... "Unmountable Boot volume". It is the blue screen with the usual text,'if this is the first time you have seen this etc.....remove any recent hardware/drivers, blah, blah, blah but I cant even start it in safe mode or anything to be able to get at it. I also have a lot of pictures on there from my digi-camera that I really don't want to loose. If the hard drive is stuffed, is there anyway I can get the pictures from it at all..?

Restricted access right now, once a day, so won't be able to answer any specific questions untill the same time tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance,
BRL.

Evo
13th Jul 2004, 10:55
Hi BRL. Does this Microsoft KnowledgeBase article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185) help?

(in particular, the check the second parameter of the Stop error - if it is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged, but there are recovery instructions).

Devlin Carnet
13th Jul 2004, 12:00
Hi,
Can you not boot it from disc?

BRL
14th Jul 2004, 09:17
Cheers guys, will print out the microsoft page and try booting from the cd first too.

Back tomorrow..... :ugh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Jul 2004, 14:15
BRL,

Before you do anything, look inside the case and check both ends of the IDE Cable, there is a chance that the cable has partially come out of either the end on the Mobo or the end on the Hard Drive.

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
15th Jul 2004, 14:00
Thanks all. I booted up from the CD drive and ran chkdsk /r. That done the trick, thanks for the link Evo. :)

All cables secured, all ok now, many thanks chaps... :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Jul 2004, 16:52
BRL,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard