PDA

View Full Version : Moray Based Airfield To Close

A D ENUFF
13th Jul 2004, 08:28
Heard this one recently. Lossiemouth or Kinloss. Any ideas as to which one and why.

day1-week1
13th Jul 2004, 08:38
Lossie to go for sure! The place is a dump and you can fit it all at kinloss as theyr'e proving at the moment.

ppf
13th Jul 2004, 09:53
Day1-week1, I’m not sure if they could fit it all at Kinloss. It’s my understanding that just the OCU is at Kinloss at the moment and I believe the other 3(?) Sqns are at Marham. The pans do look semi-packed so I don't know if Lossie could move in permanently?????

ppf :cool:

mbga9pgf
13th Jul 2004, 10:41
I reckon Kinloss. No requirement for the Nimrod to operate at sea now as its predominantly used for land support. I also suppose it depends upon how many MR4's we ACTUALLY get and that is yet to be announced.

Either way, I reckon at least one of the three (leuchars included) will go as part of this review...

althenick
13th Jul 2004, 10:55
If it was to be one (Sounds like BS to me) - i'd say Kinloss, given the way Nimrod 4 is going there is a good chance that the MoD will cut it. Which if that were the case then what would be the point of moving Lossie Squadrons to Kinloss? it would just cost money. (I am told) that lossie's Runways are more useable WRT wind. The Infrastucture with respect to Family Life in Kinloss is diabolical - who the hell in thier right mind would wand to stay (a) practically on the base or (b) about a mile away from it in the middle of nowhere? Also if you cut lossie and deploy the squadrons elsewhere then would it not invalidate the existance of the Tain Ranges???

Lossie to go for sure! The place is a dump and you can fit it all at kinloss as theyr'e proving at the moment.

I belive that the Main Runway is being refubished at present? Also just got new accomodation? and it's still a dump? D1W1, As I recall in 1989 Lossie had a bit of a reputation as a gash posting (My Brother was there - he hated it) in his case It was mainly down to the then Station Commander being a bit of a tyrant and making the boys work on Saturday Morning (Paid 365 days a year X Factored - poor people!) is this still the case, or is it really the Base facilities you are talking about?

BTW I still see that the Flying Ground Equipment is still parked up at the south side of Lossie - I thought it had moved to Kinloss???

Slartibardfarst
13th Jul 2004, 11:07
Following this thread, it would appear logical for Kinloss to be the one in the spotlight, as there is plenty of pan space / real-estate at Wadington to absorb the kipper fleet, whilst maintaining the bases hectic (!!) flying schedule. It makes no sense now to have the Nimrod guys so remote, as the Cold War days of Ruskies coming over the cape are long gone.........aren't they?

Leuchars would be another possibility, but having just relocated the OCU there to make way for the White Elephant at Coningsby. Understand the move hasn't gone too smoothly with all at the East coast haven, (only somewhere in the region of 3-400 attended the summer ball!!), but the move has happened and the cash-pot has been drained, so I guess they shall stay. Sadly though no more NTLT / JMC from there! F*&$£ng 56!!

As for the prospects of Lossie going, see my initial point, although, if pan space is at premium at Marham, I can't see this being a viable, long term solution.

S:ok:

Biggus
13th Jul 2004, 11:42
I had heard that Waddo was struggling to cope with the massive 'footprint' of 5 biz jets (ASTOR), so I believe the option of moving Nimrods there is not as simple as some seem to suggest.

I am sure if we wait a short while (21st July maybe?) we will find out what is actually going to happen. Still, why spoil a good rumour with the truth, and this is a rumour network after all!!!

akula
13th Jul 2004, 12:03
:( :( :(

Rumour at ISK is that the board will recommend closure of Kinloss and a reduction of MRA4 airframes to 12, with the intention of basing MRA4 in more Southern regions(Lincolnshire). On the bright side though MR2 is expected to stay in service until about 2012 and remain at ISK throughout its tenure.

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

BEagle
13th Jul 2004, 12:11
If you consider that, back when we had an air force, Waddo housed 4 Vulcan squadrons with 10 jets, 50+ officers plus all their own groundcrew on each, how on earth can it possibly be 'struggling' to cope with little Arsetors? 40 a/c with 111 ft wingspan - now just the E-3Ds, a few invisible N****ds and 5 Global Excuses?

jacob's ladder
13th Jul 2004, 12:45
What about MRA4 to Scampton - it forms part of the new 'ISTAR Hub' with Waddo and only has 9 (10) little red things whizzing around for a few weeks of the year.

Trumpet_trousers
13th Jul 2004, 17:15
......if 'they' are really tight for space, why not re-lay/resurface the runway and hardstandings at Binbrook? Someone was way too quick to rip that lot up!......oh, yep, 'they' will need to build a new tower too.......:ok:

Grimweasel
13th Jul 2004, 20:55
You can't close Kinloss....... where we will go on scottac and who will give us jock pies in the horror boxes???

Gainesy
14th Jul 2004, 08:19
Remember that smug bstard of a local councillor who dumped on the Nimrod pre-Xmas booze cruise...er ...Navex?

Love to hear his comments on ISK closure.

Arkroyal
14th Jul 2004, 10:34
I belive that the Main Runway is being refubished at present? Also just got new accomodation? That settles it, then.

Any place having huge amounts spent on it is usually next for the chop. Remember Chivenor; Portland?

Judge Rembrandt
14th Jul 2004, 12:43
Hard to believe that after the amount of money spent on both bases that it can even be an option to close either - but we live in strange times. A massive blow to the local economy if it happens -

Gainsey,

Do you mean this smug B*$tard....
http://news.scotsman.com/inverness.cfm?id=638842004
Oh yes, nice to see that after years of 'rumours' about this guys integrity and 'milking' what he could from the public purse, he finally got way too greedy!! A fitting end to the oxygen thief!!
Regards, JR
PS Still think your article on the Mighty Bunter - featured in Jets a good while ago - is just super!!

Bol Zup
14th Jul 2004, 12:52
If Lossie does go that will mean no radar service for Inverness civil traffic. Back to mega EAT's at EGPE.

cyclic
14th Jul 2004, 12:55
Wrong councillor - the one that got upset about the booze cruise is still doing the rounds drinking at everyone else's expense. He does fit the oxygen thief category though.

The local (SNP) MP stated in this weeks local rag that he was pleased that there was no threat to the Moray airbases but was upset about the removal of a number of Scottish Regiments. If he thinks there is no threat then we need to worry.....

Gainesy
14th Jul 2004, 13:31
Thank you Mi'Lord R, twas a better effort than one I did some years earlier, flying a six hour sortie after a late night in the Bothy with assorted hoogilans.:)

Shame its not the same councillor though. Killjoy tw@t.

As to closures, runway refurbishment and new buildings is no protection. Viz: Acklington, Stradishall, Chiv. etc.

mbga9pgf
14th Jul 2004, 14:30
Correct. They only look at potential savings POST closure; any investment prior to closure is immaterial.

whowhenwhy
14th Jul 2004, 14:45
Tend to agree I'm afraid. Prior investment is money already spent. Bean counters only give 2 hoots about money that they can save that's not yet been spent. ISK is bound to go, with the ac re-locating to waddo. Ac footprint problems? Like BEagle said, I don't think so! They want all the ISTAR stuff at Waddo with scopedopes at Scampton. Only option that makes sense is to send all the MR2s and those other things with the wrongshape wing (once they're built) to Waddo from ISK.

SIKWIZZO
14th Jul 2004, 15:02
Having recently left Lossie I can confirm that just the OCU are boltholed into Kinloss at the moment while 12,14 and 617 continue to operate from lossie on the short runway. These squadrons will either go on block leave or bolthole while the runway intersection is relaid and then all four Lossie squadrons will return to flying from the main runway while the short is relaid.

I reckon Kinloss is more likely to go than Lossie - it will be a lot harder to relocate 3 strike squadrons and an OCU than it will to move a handful of Nimrods... however don't forget the SAR assets are moving from Lossie to Kinloss next year and the ARCC is at Kinloss too. Nice new 'Center Parcs' type Officers Mess at Lossie too.

This all leads to Leuchars being favourite to close IMHO - 3 squadrons of F3s still trying to justify their existence by sitting on QRA......

Lossie also has 51 sqn RAF Reg plus an Aux Regiment Sqn - lots to move really!

But all this is based on logic - do the RAF have that word in their dictionary?!

Strength and Honour,

SW

FCK1
14th Jul 2004, 17:59
Ciclyc:

"The local (SNP) MP stated in this weeks local rag that he was pleased that there was no threat to the Moray airbases but was upset about the removal of a number of Scottish Regiments. If he thinks there is no threat then we need to worry....."

you reckon the politicos haven't been told yet or what?

Sideshow Bob
14th Jul 2004, 18:50
SIKWIZZO

"it will be a lot harder to relocate 3 strike squadrons and an OCU than it will to move a handful of Nimrods"

Do you mean the 3 Maritime sqns + an OCU, the NMSU, signals unit and the ARCC

cyclic
14th Jul 2004, 19:22
No I don't suppose they have been told, especially a SNP politician in Westminster! Whether the idiots in their £450 million palace will give a stuff is another matter. I can remember the SNP Defence spokesman writing in the same quality journal about how they would get a share of the assets come independance - perhaps he would like an airfield complete with resurfaced runway for his squadron of microlights! I think now that the Scots have seen that even their own people are likely to waste millions of their money when they get a little power, independance is a long way off. Just look at the intellectual heavyweights they (we) have elected. I thought it was amusing that he would go into print and then maybe find egg on his face in a weeks's time if one base does go.

I have also heard that Leuchars is ripe for civil development, although Dundee can handle exec jets.

What would be done with the real estate in Moray? Both camps are barely above sea level, we don't need another civil airfield and although we have experienced a minor property boom, that will soon ebb away once 2500 personnel move out of the area. There are a lot of local businesses that rely on the income from the RAF and 2500 people is a lot when the nearest other industrial town is 60 miles away with a road network that would be the subject of a joke in the SE.

On a different note, it is good to see that the FJ fraternity still have a good grip on reality. Of course it would be much harder to move all those egos when compared to a "handful of dear old MR2s" - bless.

SIKWIZZO
15th Jul 2004, 08:04
My apologies Deliverance, no offence intended to the AD community - I was merely repeating what an AD QWIP (I know he was one - he had the patch to prove it!) said to me recently.

The F3 boys do a good job with a platform that should have been this good 15/20 years ago and I'm sure they'll give the yanks an even bigger run for their money when they get their hands on a Typhoon!

So, like you, I'm tired the SA/AD banter, so let's remember one thing - at the end of the day; we are all on the same side.

Strength and Honour.

SW

Zoom
15th Jul 2004, 17:26
Re re-opening Binbrook, I heard a rumour recently that a couple of the hangars there had been turned into giant 'fridges which now contain large numbers of carcases of diseased (BSE, F&M) cattle and sheep which haven't made it to front of the disposal queue. If this is true, it opens up a whole new range of cr*p secondary duties for the JPs/JNs when they get there! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Dave Ishall
15th Jul 2004, 18:33
Interesting rumours, but this is what is actually going to be announced:

Lossiemouth will close at end '07 with SAR relocating to ISK imminently.
One GR4 squadron will disappear (probably 14), with the rest moving south to Marham early '07.

Only reason I know is because the barman at my local told me last week, and he knows this guy who heard some woman in Tescos talking to the checkout girl who's Dad cleans the loos in the MOD.

You heard it first here......

Pontius Navigator
15th Jul 2004, 18:55
Lossie.

The shed doors are rusty.

althenick
15th Jul 2004, 19:22
Fulmar.. Sorry Lossie - Give it back to the Fleet Air Arm:D

Both camps are barely above sea level...

Funny, My old man was a Bucc Maintainer at Lossie in the 60's, he told me how one of the hangers was very prone to flooding and on a couple of occasions after a Heavy fall of rain, it wasn't unusual to see the water above an Aircraft's nose wheel. Is this still the case?

Judge Rembrandt
15th Jul 2004, 20:12
Cyclic & Gainsey,
Whoops - Thanks for picking me up on that cyclic. I received this :

"The councillor you refer to was not Mr Aldridge but Alistair Bisset, still one of the 'movers and shakers' at the council and still chairman of the licensing board! Thank you for reminding me about that little incident.

It might interest you to know that a year ago Councillor Bisset was visiting a patient at Dr Gray's Hospital and staff asked him to leave because he had been drinking. He remonstrated with the nurses and later claimed that he had had "only one glass of wine" with his lunch. This caused great amusement to all who know him. We sometimes refer to him in the paper's gossip column as Alistair "I only had one glass of wine" Bisset...I must revive the Nimrod story some time.

We live in interesting times here in Moray."

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to Mr Eddie Aldridge for tarnishing his otherwise good name by associating him to the Nimrod story!!

Still reckon they are both oxygen thieves though!!

As to the closures, well I'll eat my hat!! It will compliment the humble pie!! Pass the salt please!
JR

J.A.F.O.
15th Jul 2004, 21:19
the Cold War days of Ruskies coming over the cape are long gone
Those were the days.

Razor61
15th Jul 2004, 23:39
Could always 're-locate' the MR2/4 to SMG again!

:p

Gainesy
16th Jul 2004, 07:51
Couldn't possibly do that Razor, 'twould be good for morale.
Tsk, Tsk.

Argus
16th Jul 2004, 07:51
I recall a 'Yes Minister' episode in which Sir Humphrey drew an adverse inference about Lossie, claiming that it was too far from Harrods. He and others of that ilk had obviously never been there.

I spent two tours there in the 1960s during the halycon days of the Fleet Air Arm. Pity Cr@bfat is considering its closure. As I recall, the weather factor is some 300 cloud free days per year. The tactical flying around that part of the world was really something else. Not much controlled airspace either (although that might now have changed). And then there was the hunting, shooting, fishing, golf, skiing, mountain climbing and other sundry pursuits ... including the discovery of Glen Morangie!

BEagle
16th Jul 2004, 13:16
"Lossiemouth? What's that? Some sort of dog food?" - or words to that effect. Along with critical comment on why the RM were cunningly located in Plymouth in order to support Norway - and all the Army were in the Home Counties to be convenient for Harrods, as you said!

After 5 days with a Shacklebomber sqn in 1969 as a cadet, I managed to get flown home by the RN fom Lossie. I was supposed to go in a Heron, but a friend of the family on the FONFT staff flew up in a Sea Vampire from Yeovilton instead - and I got a lift back in that instead!

Can you imagine that sort of thing happening nowadays?

If one has to go, it should be ISK!

Charlie Luncher
16th Jul 2004, 13:31
Oh go on close ISK move to Scampton as predicted in 95, you never know Judge I might even come back.:E
Then again I might get sent back:{

Beags whats a Shack?:p
Charlie sends
from the land of big ass spiders

Threeshotstooclose
17th Jul 2004, 09:55
Just a word of advice if ISK did get the chop and the MK2s did move to Waddo. Follow the example of the film 'Great Escape' and secrete the odd brick or two from those shiny new squadron buildings up there. That way, if or when you arrive, at least you'll have the makings for some new accommodation. 51 has been here since '95' and we are still renting out office space. Still if I can find a window (oh yes there's one in the pilots office) I can look longingly at 5 Sqn's new palace.

Bring back the portacabins!!!!!!!!

Rock Outboard
18th Jul 2004, 20:14
Judge,

Sorry old chap but you’ve zapped the wrong councillor! The (ex) Convenor of Moray Council may well be doing 18 months hard labour at HM’s pleasure but it was a weasel called Alistair Bissett who tried to shop the pie eaters of ISK for running booze in their Nimrods. Allegedly he was p!$$ed off about not being invited to their Spring Reception and took a tip-off from a disgruntled Erk of ISK at face value. Ironically, he got spanked for snitching to the local press by very same gentleman who is now wearing a neat suit with little arrows all over.

Back to subject: odds are that the pie eaters will be moving to Scampton in about 4-5 years time and ISK, with all those lovely new buildings, will be up for sale. Would make a nice location for a refugee camp except that none of them have any wish to live that far north!

ORAC
19th Jul 2004, 10:07
Daily Telegraph:

Mr Hoon plans to disguise the full scale of the cuts by announcing them in at least three separate tranches. He will make the first on Wednesday, using the award of a new contract for the futuristic £800 million Watchkeeper "network-centric capability" to portray the cuts as a "rebalancing" of the Armed Forces.....

The rest of his announcement, timed for the day before the Commons rises for the long summer recess to limit criticism, will speak only in general terms about cuts. Mr Hoon will not go much further than the Government's defence White Paper in December, which the Commons defence committee described as "disappointingly lacking in detail". Officials admit that much of the detail of the cuts will not be announced until the autumn and many of the most controversial are expected to be held over until after next year's general election.

The RAF will lose up to a fifth of its 53,000 personnel; five bases, including Odiham, Hants, Coltishall in Norfolk, and Leuchars in Scotland; most of the 62 Jaguar ground attack aircraft, and its 39 Puma helicopters.....

At the weekend, members of the Eurofighter consortium issued a veiled threat to sue the MoD for damages if workers were laid off because Britain could not afford to finalise the deal.

CatpainCaveman
19th Jul 2004, 11:50
Not wishing to divert the thread from them up north, ORAC has it been confirmed that the MOD actually owns these places and they weren't gifts to the government pre/during WW2? If so they will have to be handed back to their original owners rather than flogged off to the highest bidding Gypsies to set up their camp sites.

And I seem to remember a lot of rumours flying round that many of these places, Odiahm esp fell into this category.

All typos due to incandesant rage at those of questionable parentage and limited mental capabilities in London who have no backbone or values other than those that can be registered on a balance sheet

ORAC
19th Jul 2004, 12:00
I do not believe so, it opened in 1924, not during WW I or II, so the original acquisition will have been a purchase, and the addition of 150 acres in 1936 was also a purchase - see here (http://www.fchrs.com/pages/archive/region_news/srnews_nov.htm#RAF%20Odiham%20in%20Hampshire). So it looks like there should be nothing to stop them selling it off if they wish.

Hoots
19th Jul 2004, 14:41
Looks like Blair & Hoon will do to the RAF what Hitler failed to do in 1940. Seems that loyalty is only a one way thing when it comes to this Government. Suppose they need the £'s in the NHS, Education plus Law & Order to get themselves re-elected. Or am I just getting old and synical?

polyglory
19th Jul 2004, 21:11
Hoots ,

Not at all, I 'm just as cynical as you are.:mad:

I was Lucky_B*
20th Jul 2004, 23:55
They're too busy withtheir defence related job!!

amwaluk
21st Jul 2004, 19:38
All,

Looks like the scaremongers were WRONG yet again!! St.Mawgan rather than Kinloss to close,GR4's to remain at Lossiemouth and Leuchars got the thumbs up for Typhoon over Leeming. Where do you people get your rumours from?I would definately shoot the messenger.

:p

cyclic
21st Jul 2004, 20:54
Where did you hear about St Mawgan? I thought the airfield closures were to be announced in December? If you are right it is good news for the NE.

Slotback
21st Jul 2004, 20:58
And what makes you think Lossie is out of woods yet?

amwaluk
21st Jul 2004, 21:08
Lossie nor Kinloss for that matter may be out the woods yet,however what a waste of the low flying available and the enhancements to the ranges that is currently ongoing in the area.

Just cannot see them removing the GR4's from the area for at least the foreseeable future. I certainly know where a lot of the mateys down south would rather have there operating areas and as for the comments about the local area and Lossie being a dump,have you seen first hand what the area is now like? I may be biased being an Invernessian but I know where I would rather be,Lossie or Marham,mmmmmmmmm no contest!

Pontius Navigator
21st Jul 2004, 21:31
Nan2002, you are right, the letter to the MP simply said Newquay International was a council problem.

FCK1
22nd Jul 2004, 12:33
Amwaluk, did you see this on the BBC website:

"The fleet of Nimrods based at RAF Kinloss in Moray will be reduced from 21 to 16.

In addition, the Ministry of Defence has indicated that it intends to put out to private contract the helicopter maintenance work at RAF Lossiemouth.

There will also be a study into the number of airfields "with a view to making substantial reductions"."

where do you see Kinloss and Lossie being safe on this basis?

Btw, anyone remember the tories cutting, closing and amalgamating? was just wondering where peter 'who ate all the pies' duncan got his high horse?

Trumpet_trousers
22nd Jul 2004, 14:54
just wondering where peter 'who ate all the pies' duncan got his high horse?

...do you need a horse to be Chief Boy Scout these days then?

(not to be confused with Iain Duncan Smith, methinks!!):p :p

The Beakster
22nd Jul 2004, 18:40
Whoever keeps talking about the ASTOR footprint being 'small' clearly doesn't understand how the concept works.

5 (AC) Sqn will be the largest in the MoD, as each air-platorm is supported by dozens of mobile ground assessts, taking up a hangar and compound in their own right. Each 'Global Express' really is the tip of the iceburg!

The ASTOR programme will be huge in RAF terms.

Rumour: Serious consideration has been given at Waddo in to the possibility of building new hangars at the other side of the airfield. Apparently, basing the entire ISTAR force (i.e. MR2/4 inc) there is a real prospect.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2004, 18:49
The Beakster, and it would make lots of sense too. Save all those civair flights from ISK to Teddington?

zk-pontius
29th Jul 2004, 10:08
Funny that it hasn't occurred to anyone that some people might actually like living at ISK - beats London any day!

Also, I didn't realise we even had 16 operational nimrods - so not really a cut after all then!

Sideshow Bob
29th Jul 2004, 11:47
zk-pontius

Not sure where you are coming from mate. At present we have 21 operational Nimrod MR2's and 24 front line crews. As of the 1st April next year we will have 16 MR2's and 19 crews but will keep all the same tasking. So yes it really is a big cut , about 25% of the airframes and 20% of the crews!!!

ORAC
6th Sep 2004, 18:03
The Scotsman - RAF 'super-base' plan leaves future of Kinloss in doubt. (http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1047182004)

Guern
6th Sep 2004, 18:35
I am only a Civvie but surely operating all your large surveillance aircraft from one base would seem like a bad idea to me!

If someone wanted to take your capability out they only have to go to one base!

Red Line Entry
6th Sep 2004, 18:58
Guern,

The argument runs that there is no direct military threat to the UK and there will not be one in the forseeable future. Thus "value for money" calls for us to operate from fewer bases, thus reducing fixed overheads.

Particularly in times of tension, our bases could still be vulnerable to terrorist threat. However, operating from fewer bases allows us to concentrate our ground defences. There is inevitably an associated risk and this has to be "managed".

IMHO I think it is a logical approach. Our numerous airfield spread over the UK originate mainly from WW2 and were necessary to provide survivability against the Cold War threat. The world today is a different place and personally I think the average terrorist is more likely to go for softer and more high profile targets in the UK.

However, the lack of different places to get posted (even if only within the UK) is a definite loss (especially as I love Morayshire!)

L J R
6th Sep 2004, 19:05
Guern, as a civvy and tax payer, are you prepared to pay for dispersal of numerous airframes around the countryside.

I'm only doing devils advocat stuff here, as some of the powers that be do try to provide economical defence. Before anyone else jumps at me, I am not backing the plans of the masters and Generals, just stating that unfortunately, money drives most things. Economic cuts can no doubt be found throughout all aspects of defence....... Re-location of assets is often a harsh reality, even thought the hurt is personnel etc.. sometimes the hurt in one area is considered to be less of an imbuggerance.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this concept, I only hope that you can apreciate that money is unfortunately a major driving force in all aspects of defence policy.

Argus
7th Sep 2004, 08:09
Just as long as Glen Morangie is kept safe from those who don't appreciate an excellent malt!

elderforest
7th Sep 2004, 11:48
Won't the RAF need ISK as the diversion airfield for Brize when the single runway at Cartoon-town goes black?

Ian.
(elderforest).

FJJP
7th Sep 2004, 15:47
I see the 'Scotsman' early lobby brigade has started work, then.

I just can't conceive of any justification for basing carrier-bourne JSFs so far north. Every time the Harriers embark, it's usually in the Channel and they turn left down Biscay. Putting another 1.5 hour transit time to join is nonsense - and as for moving the logistics support south, well...

- Oh!, but maybe our new Def Sec might approve just to give our boys a nice long rest on the journey south before joining all those big smelly nasty shippy things!

ORAC
7th Sep 2004, 16:09
Maybe they ought to move the fleet to Scapa Flow, then Gordon could sell of all those nice coastal locations down south. Kill two birds with one stone..... ;)

Pontius Navigator
7th Sep 2004, 18:10
Guern, dispersed basing isn't the problem but you do have a point. When Carterton South goes black for whatever reason and Carterton East is full, where do all the big jets go?

We had a problem here in the Lincolnshire Air Force with just Cranwell, Barkston, Coningsby, Waddington, Scampton when looking for a diversion.

When one was dodgy for weather surprisingly they all were. We often held Humberside, East Midlands, Manchester and Teeside and Newcastle. Real cost effective and you should have seen the bills every time we did a PD.

Guern
7th Sep 2004, 19:33
LJR I'm not a UK Tax Payer.
Just realised need to fill in my location in my profile!

Although we do contribute to the UK defence budget by paying for the Alderney Breakwater to be maintained.

Thanks for the info guys.

Echo 5
16th Sep 2004, 17:20
Just heard a very brief statement on Radio Scotland that " almost 400 jobs to go at RAF Lossiemouth ". That's it.

L J R
16th Sep 2004, 18:31
Seems that those 400 will miss the Glenmorangie then.

Where is Marham anyway...

elderforest
17th Sep 2004, 11:43
BBC news link re: Lossiemouth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3663040.stm

elderforest.

Martin43
24th Sep 2004, 08:42
Is there any truth in the rumour that Lossiemouth is going to close for 15 years........ then re-open as a JSF base?

It would make sense, Lossiemouth has massive potential?

Martin43

elderforest
24th Sep 2004, 13:13
Me thinks that the Lossie rumour came from the same source that speculated that all the Nimrods are going to Waddington and ISK is going to become a JSF base !!

Trust no one.

elderforest.

Stray Fin
26th Sep 2004, 21:41
If one of the bases close, combined with a potential dip in the housing market - you should be able to buy some of the houses in the new Elgin estates for peanuts.

J.A.F.O.
28th Sep 2004, 11:03
I met someone last week who's doing upgrading work on the infrastructure for the simulators at both Lossie and Kinloss.

So, it looks like they're both up for the chop. ;)

I've registered with estate agents in Forres and Elgin and I'm hoping to buy an entire street for half of what I sold my house for ten years ago.

ppf
28th Sep 2004, 11:09
But would you want one of the houses in the new estates, I mean the quality isn't altogether good especially in the Springfield estates!! But then again nether are half the married quarters.

ppf :cool:

Dunhovrin
29th Sep 2004, 11:31
Can't believe we've had 6 pages of banter about Lossie and only one mention of the mighty Shackleton. Time to straighten that out....

God, I hated flying Shackletons. Noisy, smelly, OLD and always breaking down..2,3..and that was just the navigators. Eyethenkyew.

Thank you - I feel much better for that.

Does the chip shop in the village still deliver bronty and chips to the mess doors on a Friday night?

ORAC
29th Sep 2004, 11:48
Situation - Shaklebomber heading south-east down the North Sea into a stiff head wind.

Controller: Anyface 22, you´d be better off on 125.

Anyface 22: (After a short pause) Negative, my Nav says 145 is good.

Controller: I meant the train.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern radar: Coordination please, could you confirm you will keep your aircraft clear of BK for the next hour?

Shaklebomber controller: Eastern, he couldn´t reach BK in the next hour......

abortt
7th Oct 2004, 12:40
Check out todays Press and Journal. Kinloss to close by 2012.

www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk

airborne_artist
7th Oct 2004, 14:51
And this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3722936.stm) on the BBC

Trumpet_trousers
7th Oct 2004, 15:10
...Oh dear....whither the 'Jockanese Air Force' now?

Bigtop
7th Oct 2004, 21:31
RAF Tartan truwsers is short finals - all that cash is a cert to close.
The smart money is on ST M to start being revived.
Nimrods to rtn to the SW along with a raft of other units.

Who'll buy this rumour for a dime!

The Gorilla
8th Oct 2004, 16:03
Front page news in tonights Lincolnshire Echo!!

RAF Kinloss to shut and to move to RAF waddington..

It must be true then!!

:ok:

polyglory
8th Oct 2004, 16:38
Lincs will sink at this rate:E

bondo
8th Oct 2004, 22:31
You will be joining up again then Gorilla, you could join the kipper fleet and leave your chuff chuff?!

The Gorilla
9th Oct 2004, 05:05
Bondo!!

£250K per year nor wild horses could drag me off my beloved trains!! For the first time in years I am H-A-P-P-Y!!

It is 6 am on a Saturday morning and I am looking forwards to going to work!!

Can't see the Kipper fleet ending up down here though, I mean what would all those embittered Aeops whinge about eh???

:}

Charlie Luncher
10th Oct 2004, 00:24
Bloody trains never run on time, driver is probably sat up there munching on mars bars:hmm:
Charlie sends

bed67
10th Oct 2004, 01:28
First post - many happy sandwiches eaten on the Shackelton whilst bimbling around the far reaches of Scotland. A lovely bit of metal, but neve quite a real airplane - for that you would need to see Avro's other beauty the Vulcan.

Lossie to close? Consider it just anotjer far flung corner of the empire.

The Gorilla
10th Oct 2004, 17:05
Charlie

Mars bars are old hat matey. All Freight Locos have cookers on the footplate so it's more likely to be a freshly cooked bacon Sarnie with steaming hot tea!!

Reminds me of being on the E3's!!!

Lovely!!

Regards
TG

:ok: