PDA

View Full Version : Qantas

mookieboy
12th Jul 2004, 18:08
Hey all, long time listener, first time caller:

I'm an american flying CRJ's for a regional airline in the u.s. with about 3,500hrs. My father lives in Australia, and I would absolutely kill for the chance to work for Qantas. I've heard that in the past, Qantas has hired American's, but I havn't been able to ascertain whether or not that is still the case. If anyone with any experience could tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it!!! (I have already looked at the Qantas and CASA website and meet and exceed all of the requirements listed on the sites.)

Also, if anyone working for Qantas could fill me in on what the scoop is there, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Mookieboy:ok:

Sonny Hammond
12th Jul 2004, 22:53
G,day,

QF will hire anyone who meets their min requirements and passes the tests. That includes Americans, Canadians and Malaysian etc
Apply. Despite what you read here sometimes it is a great job. Lots of prospects (particularly by todays standards) and reasonable money.

Good luck.

mookieboy
13th Jul 2004, 00:01
Thanks Sonny,

Any idea of a good contact person there in Human Resources. Specifically, do you know of any one's email address?

thanks again, g'day,
Mookieboy

mookieboy
13th Jul 2004, 03:31
Thanks guys for the info! I called them today and found out the info I needed. Hopefully...someday. Has anyone out there gone through the ratings conversion from FAA to CASA? Anything special I should know about what to do, and most importantly, not to do??

Are there any other places, other than this board, to get good info about Qantas?

Mookieboy

EPIRB
13th Jul 2004, 03:35
If you want to be considered by Qantas, you have to pass all of the Australian ATPL exams. Qantas won't recognise a straight FAA/CASA conversion with an ATPL.

EPIRB
15th Jul 2004, 03:55
Well that's what I was told by Qantas within the last twelve months.

Feather #3
15th Jul 2004, 08:57
EPIRB,

I think you'll find it very different if they are US Nationals who have been using their US ATP to operate in the US. The 'block', if you like, is on Aussies going over and getting an "easy" ATP, then trying to convert.

Of course, if you want to try the UK CAA/JAR road, take your chequebook with you; just ask Reddo!!

G'day ;)

mookieboy
15th Jul 2004, 10:42
Thanks guys for all of the great information!

I just a phone call, yes a phone call, at 3 a.m. U.S. time,from a very nice CASA fellow. He told me essentially that I have to do all of the tests, as well as the flight tests to convert my ATP. Seems like alot, but oh well. Does anyone know of a good flight school in Australia that I can use to do this stuff?? In good, I mean as cheap as possible!

Also, in regards to Qantas, does anyone know what the starting salary and position is for newhires? If anyone wants to private message the info, that would be great too!

lastly, I'm not sure about the job market in Australia, but if anyone with more than 1,500 hours is looking for a great job inthe u.S., the company I work for is hiring, (SkyWest Airlines. ) We fly Crj 200's 700's and EMB 120's and are growing quite a bit with 45 CRJ's being delivered in the next nine months. lots of fun places to fly to, and fun people to fly with! Again, p.m. me if you are interested.

cheers,

MookieBoy

slice
16th Jul 2004, 03:45
I think the problem for us mookieboy, is that none of us 'aliens' can get get de 'Greencard'.

Sir Donald
17th Jul 2004, 23:23
EPIRB,
Just who told you that load of ......
It is true that some ausssie pilots try to bypass the system but if you are an overseas national with extensive time and that is quality time, QANTAS and any other airline for that matter would not ask you for all 7 subject passes. And that is straight from the horse’s mouth.
Please don’t try to support the training schools who preach that philosophy. If are clever enough you will understand just why they do it.
Happy and safe flying,

The SD

EPIRB
18th Jul 2004, 04:57
Well that's what QF recruitment told me.

Sir Donald
18th Jul 2004, 08:55
EPIRB
Few recruitment bods including QF told me exactly that and that is the latest.
SD

EPIRB
18th Jul 2004, 23:27
Maybe it only applies to Australians. I had to obtain a printout from CASA with all my exam results as part of my application.

mookieboy
19th Jul 2004, 14:34
Hey guys,

I'm a little confused though. Sir D, are you saying that Qantas has hired people without doing their ratings conversion? I'm an ATP from the u.s. with about 4000hrs, with about 3200 of that two pilot, airline turbine/Jet. I don't really want to have to go through a commercial checkride again if I don't have too (might not pass :D ), and it's going to cost quite a bit to do.

does anyone out there have a handle of pay the first year at Qantas? Most airlines in the states start everyone off on the same payscale no matter what equipment they are on. Is that the case here as well? Also, how are internationals looked upon by the other pilots? Here at my airline, we have tons of international pilots who are all great guys to fly with. this month i'm flying with an irishman who came over about five years ago to the states...guess I better get my tolerance up!!

thanks again,
a humble Mookieboy