PDA

View Full Version : COM Ports - Help !!!

The Flying Scotsman
12th Jul 2004, 17:40
I have been trying to use a USB cable to connect my Origin B2 GPS speed camera device to the web for updates. I keep getting a message:

"Cannot open COM Port"

I have 3 USB ports on my computer, one of which connects to my Broadband modem. I don't know which USB port corresponds to which "COM Port" and have tried all the variations (the initiial
dialog box offers "Connect to - COM1 - COM4".)

I seem to remember in the good old days there was a COM Port section in Control Panel but if there was, it aint there now.

Any ideas ?

Cheers, Scottie

amanoffewwords
12th Jul 2004, 17:56
com1 to com4 are for serial only - don't you have an option for USB somewhere?

Devlin Carnet
13th Jul 2004, 12:14
Hi,
It sounds like maybe you hav'nt loaded the USB drivers for the device.
Just a thought

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Jul 2004, 13:22
The Flying Scotsman,

Does your Origin B2 GPS speed camera device have a COM Port on it?

From the Manual, it looks like it uses a cable that connects to a COM Port.

Here is the Manual:

B2 Manual (http://www.originb2.com/product/manual.pdf)

Take Care,

Richard

Nudlaug
18th Jul 2004, 10:08
The USB ports do not correspond to the COM ports at all, they are a totally different cattle of fish! Whatever software you are using is trying to access a COM port (it is probably set by dafault to look for COM ports) and can't find anything connected to your COM ports.

Your software needs to be configured as to look for your device at a USB port (which also means that all the necessary drivers need to be installed)

Mac the Knife
18th Jul 2004, 19:33
A lot of this sort of software (like the Nokia PC Suite that my PC uses to talk to the Bluetooth on my Mobile phone) creates logical software COM ports that have no real physical existence. On my system these appear in Device Manager as Bluetooth Communications ports - COM6 and COM7.

Are you sure the software is properly installed?