PDA

View Full Version : ILS and RHAG reinstalled at Honington?

SIKWIZZO
12th Jul 2004, 12:37
Anyone got any ideas why Honington have had their ILS and RHAGs reinstalled? Closing Lossie maybe?

Jacks Down
12th Jul 2004, 13:43
Er, I'm pretty sure they haven't been. There hasn't been any activity on the runway - I would cycle round there to check but it's raining!

The airfield was formally closed last year, and they're about to build the SLAM blocks on the ASP (provided the Regt doesn't get disbanded first :( ) so that will put paid to it ever re-opening.

Any Tornado mates who still have a house in Honington shouldn't get their hopes up methinks!

Rain stopped. I cycled. No RHAG.

pr00ne
12th Jul 2004, 14:17
Never mind Jack,

An ASP does not an airfield make, two nice HAS farms on the other side of the runway, if the Regt get's "downsized" and all the Rapier bods naff of to the RA, maybe they could move what's left of the Jag force in and close Colt a year or two early?

Jacks Down
12th Jul 2004, 14:28
True, but any buildings on the ASP would surely encroach on the safety distance for the runway? It's only 100m or so away. Also, the Jt NBC Regt have 'finders keepers' on the HAS sites, and moving them somewhere else has already been deemed too expensive.

It's a pity though, it would be great to have some aircraft back here - it gets a bit boring with only Rocks to banter after all!

buoy15
13th Jul 2004, 00:29
Cannot close Lossie just yet, they are still resurfacing the runway!!:p

6foottanker
13th Jul 2004, 18:37
How little you know! How many bases have $$$$ pumped into them, only to close months later....It's almost funny, if it weren't obvious that we're going to lose so many bases in the next 3 years.:{