PDA

View Full Version : West Africa Start-up?

747CLASSIC
12th Jul 2004, 04:26
A friend told me he heard that there is a new start-up in West Africa. He thought maybe out of Dakar or Banjul.
Anyone know what type of aircraft or routes? Do they already have crews?

Thanks,
Classic

Gunship
12th Jul 2004, 10:01
If you talk 747's ... no have not heard a thing (and left 2 weeks ago).

ASTRAEUS started about 6 weeks ago but I am sure they take previous senior 737 crew's internally to service the Freetown route with a 757.

Good luck. I mailed my partner and if something new is in the area - I will let you know. (Must it be 747 ?)

Cheers,

Gunsss

747CLASSIC
12th Jul 2004, 20:41
No, doesn't need to be 47, but I would like it to be. My Mate said it would be older "Heavy Iron"(747 or 1011) to go across the pond and then a "Light Twin" (737) on a Africa, West Coast Feeder. That is about all I've got.
It is about time somebody starts a reliable service in and into West Africa. I guess with all the oil that is being descovered there the world is starting to focus on that area.
I wish them luck even if they do start with a L-1011!

Classic

Jacobest
12th Jul 2004, 21:08
The company you looking for might be closer to home then you think!!!

Gunship
12th Jul 2004, 22:35
I know Nationwide was trying with Ghana Airways for a long time.

I wish for Astraeus to get it as they have proved themselves in 2 months what they can do.

Whoever - there is a big market that Ghana Airways left open to do the West Coast route using Accra as a hub.

747CLASSIC
13th Jul 2004, 01:40
Who is Astraeus? Never heard of them. Do you have any info on them? Don't know who Nationwide is, either. Who are they?
Do know A WHOLE LOT about Ghana Airways, thou!

hi Jacobest,
Don't know where you are comming from, Mate. Can you please explane?

Classic

PIA747
13th Jul 2004, 02:46
I hear Star Air from Jordan is planning to start an operation from Banjul with their tristars. But that was a few months back.

747CLASSIC
13th Jul 2004, 04:35
You know, it might be Star Air. Do you know what routes they plan to fly? And when they plan to start?

skyways777
15th Jul 2004, 17:33
I have a buddy who is an American photographer, and was working with the Gambian Embassy last month. He said that a compny (WAL) from the US was over in Banjul and will be using The Gambia as a hub for flights from the US and West Africa.

I believe that WAL is World Air Leasing out of the US. If so, do they hire European and African pilots, or just US pilots? Has anyone flown with them in the past?

learr
15th Jul 2004, 17:45
For info i saw the aircraft out of ABJ Ivory Coast and LFW Togo a few days ago, seems that they already started with a L1011 and i think that the airplane was registrated from Jordanian state.

Learr

747CLASSIC
15th Jul 2004, 23:20
Who is WAL? Are they a part of World Airways(DC-10 & MD-11)?
I believe they were or doing some flights from Accra or Lagos to maybe Dallas. Are they still operating those flights?

Classic

skyways777
17th Jul 2004, 01:02
Hi Classic,

I don't think they are related, World Air Leasing is a different company then World Airways. I checked their website: http://www.worldairleasing.com and they fly different types of aircraft. Has anyone worked for them?

alexmcfire
17th Jul 2004, 01:39
Going where? I thought all airlines located in The Gambia was banned from flying to the UK?

Boss Raptor
17th Jul 2004, 08:12
Correct Gambian operators and/or acft are banned from UK due safety oversight issues that remain unresolved from over 10 years ago

The number of times I have heard that someone intends to use BJL as a West/Pan African hub, must be a team usually from the USA in BJL every year with this plan...never happens and/or never works for so many reasons mainly commercial/loads...look at Afrinat last years effort, was going to be 747's from European and all sorts, ended up a DC9 from Millionair that flew twice as I understand it and went back to JNB after 2 months.

People see the Gambia as 'available' as they are quite co-operative to provide non ECOWAS citizens with AOC's (read in to that what you will) and govt and CAA are desperate to get someone in there (the latter to justify their existance) :hmm:

747CLASSIC
18th Jul 2004, 02:25
Just read in one of the Gambian newspapers where "Slok" will launch a new operation from Banjul. Maybe that is who my mate was hearing about. The article says that they have "12" B737-200s. Does anyone know anything about them? What's their history?

Speaking of the UK "banned list", how does a reputable airline operating out of one of these countries get, "un-banned"?

Classic

Boss Raptor
18th Jul 2004, 09:11
Slok are a Nigerian outfit - have also heard the 12 acft story - so far they have no acft that anyone has seen and have never operated except for a short lived cargo operation in the late 90's where they chartered a 707 - lasted 3 days and the plane never flew

It is not a question of the airline getting 'un-banned' as in this case the UK authorities have acted because they do not consider Gambia CAA is carrying out (read is fit to carry out also) its safety oversight responsibilities/regulation in accordance with ICAO procedures/statute - only way is for GCAA to prove they know what they are doing, put a long term action plan in place and be subjected to both UK and ICAO inspection and ongoing audit...you could be waiting a long time

Capt. Manuvar
18th Jul 2004, 14:27
Slok operated 737-200s in Nigeria recently (this year), until one of their pilots busted the ILS minimum and their AOC was revoked. They were also operating 4 732s instead of 2 as per AOC. these are the reasons the Nigerian CAA gave.
But most people believe it was a political move since the owner (Anambra State Govenor) is involved with a feud with the chairman of the leading political party.

homesick rae
3rd Aug 2004, 11:47
WAL now have AOC so let's see what happens.

747CLASSIC
3rd Aug 2004, 16:02
Hey Rae,
Where you getting your info from? I have been reading all the West Africa newspapers and all the aviation boards that I know of and haven't seen anything. I guess you got the inside track!
Maybe you can answer this; where are they operating out of and to and what type aircraft will they be using? Thanks.
Classic

homesick rae
4th Aug 2004, 16:21
747 Classic

Straight from the horses...nuff said!

Cheers

HR

homesick rae
7th Aug 2004, 04:57
747 Classic:

and they now have an aircraft I hear!!

Nice one WAL

747CLASSIC
7th Aug 2004, 09:57
With your inside information, can you tell me what type aircraft, do they need crews and when do they start operations?

Classic

homesick rae
7th Aug 2004, 14:04
747 Classic:

L1011 and B747-200 crews will be required...no official start date for operations. But not too far away from what I know. We can correspond by PM if you like and I will keep you posted.

Cheers

HR

ijp
9th Aug 2004, 21:43
HR,
there is a rumor that Universal will be doing the flying for them, also Star is also trying to get a foot in the door

homesick rae
10th Aug 2004, 00:47
Interesting, but not true as far as I know.

747CLASSIC
10th Aug 2004, 01:40
ijp,

I have to agree with HR, Interesting. What exactly, do you mean? Are they looking to place their aircraft on the W.A.L. A.O.C. ?

Classic

ijp
10th Aug 2004, 21:19
Globe Jet is being cut loose from Jordan Aviation, so maybe looking to register the L1011 somewhere out of Jordan. Star and Universal have Sierra Leon registration, non are doing much, aircraft sitting on ground. I heard that Universal and Star negotiating with someone in W. Africa. Star crew that are sitting home have been given heads up.

PIA747
13th Aug 2004, 02:09
homesick rae,
I believe WAL is going to use L1011. They are looking for a Director of Maintenance to be based in Gambia.

PIA747
14th Aug 2004, 18:21
Air Universal 747s should be a good choice for this venture. They are ex-Lufthansa, maintained by KLM, certified to fly into the US and on the Jordanian register.

ijp
14th Aug 2004, 20:18
Where will they be flying to and from?

PIA747
14th Aug 2004, 22:02
http://www.flywal.com/

They need to do better than this.

Looks like an ex-Transat tristar.

ijp
15th Aug 2004, 11:44
I am only getting the tail and a piece of the body, looks like Star Colors