View Full Version : Do you fly the Barcelona to Manchester Route ? Can u help me identify something ?

shinymac1
11th Jul 2004, 23:03
Hi All,

On a recent flight from Barcelona to Manchester UK, and using RWY 20 for take off, my flight turned right a mile or so after rotation. The it turned right again to run Southwestwards parallel with the Spanish Coast. But after a few more miles we then turned to head North and inland towards the Pyrenees.

I then noticed, after travelling a few miles inland, a HUGE CIRCUIT of some sort...which was perfectly oval in shape, and had several smaller racing circuits in its middle. I dont know whether this was a Motor CYCLE race track, or a MOTOR CAR race track or even a Car Manufacturers TEST Track of some sort.

All I can say was, that it was HUGE ! I took two pics of this through the plane window, which I would gladly send to someone if they can HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS RACING CIRCUIT ??

I am sure it WASNT THE SPANISH FORMULA ONE CIRCUIT as this is located North EAST of the city, and by new I reckon we were flying North WEST of Barcelona.

Can you help ? Do you know a real world pilot who flies this route, and can help me identify it ?

Email to me at [email protected] would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Derek Fry

chiglet
11th Jul 2004, 23:24
Catalunia [sp] Race circuit.
watp,iktch

shinymac1
12th Jul 2004, 01:07
Hi Chiglet,

Thanks for the reply.

I honestly am in doubt if this WAS the Catalunya circuit, as I am led to believe that this is located North EAST of BCN,,,, and I am sure we were North WEST of the city at that time ??

What makes u so certain it would be ?

Cheers

Derek

McD
12th Jul 2004, 07:01
I don't fly out of Barcelona, but I'm going to agree with you, shinymac1, that it probably isn't Catalunya Circuit. Why? Because Catalunya is not shaped like an oval.

Click HERE (http://www.circuitcat.com/catalan/circuit/imagenes/map_accesog.jpg) for a diagram of Catalunya.

However, to help you try and figure out what it might be that you're seeing, click on this website:http://imageatlas.globexplorer.com/ImageAtlas/view.do?group=ImageAtlas

In the left margin, put Barcelona in the city, and use the drop-down menu to select Spain. After you click "find image", a satellite map of Barcelona will appear. Use the map features to find the airport -- it shows up really well in the SW part of the city. Then go along the coast like you remember, and then move north. Maybe something will coincide with what you saw. By having a more exact location, maybe you'll get your answer more quickly.

Good luck!

busz
12th Jul 2004, 07:24
Hi, not seen the oval myself, but having done a quick search on yahoo, i came up with this derelict circuit at Sitges. This would be in the right sort of area thta you described. Here is a link:

http://www.racingcircuits.net/forum/messages/32/178.html?1051866290

Regards,

ALex

delta96
12th Jul 2004, 09:26
The SEAT motor Company has an R&D facility at Martorell, about 15 miles NW of Barcelona. Your description fits that of a motor vehicle test track. No sign of it on 1999 sat. images.

shinymac1
12th Jul 2004, 12:54
Hi Mc D

Thanks for a very helpful reply.

However I am having difficulty finding the satellite view of the circuit, from the link you mention...its a bit fiddly.

Can you help if I send you a pic of the circuit taken from the air as we flew over it ?

What is your email addy please ?

Cheers

Derek

BOAC
12th Jul 2004, 13:34
Shiney - aerial photography is forbidden in Spanish airspace. You may wish to edit your last post!

McD
12th Jul 2004, 21:42
I don't know the area, shinymac, and I don't fly over it, so a picture of it wouldn't help. I was just pointing out a satellite image link.

Delta96's post sounds like the most probable answer, because from what you describe, it certainly seems to fit the pattern of car test tracks.