PDA

View Full Version : Brady Rule

Phil Sparks
5th May 2004, 18:12
My sqn is running short of 'Brady Rule' planning gizzas. Most of our once enormous stock have 'disappeared' and the few remaining are either split or the numbers have worn off.

Does anyone know whether they're still available and if so how to get hold of them?

If they are no longer made is there another FJ planning gizza that's actually useful that we could buy or copy?

PS

Spugford
5th May 2004, 19:08
Try calling 208 sqn, unless that's where you are!

Scud-U-Like
5th May 2004, 21:00
Phil

email [email protected] Brady Jet Rule Mk3: £13.00 plus p&p.

Nozzles
7th May 2004, 21:28
Spend a thousand times as much and buy a mission planning computer!

DuckDodgers
8th May 2004, 11:30
That if obtained from the MWC is a waste of time and is nothing better than a glorified computer games console!

18greens
10th May 2004, 16:34
I am curious. I have heard of a Brady rule and I might even have seen one but I can't remember why you need one.

(I tried google (to prevent wasting peoples time) but all I got was 206,000 hits on some American gun law)

Anyone explain what they do?

rogerbrady
10th May 2004, 21:45
You can order Brady rules by email. The address is [email protected]. They are now GBP 16 each and there is no charge for postage. Mk-1s, Mk-3s and Mk-4s in stock. The Mk-1s are for slower speeds, 80 to 150 knots. The Mk-3s and 4s are for fast jets. Only the Mk-4s have 500 and 520 knot scales. The orders are usually dispatched within the week.

The Nr Fairy
11th May 2004, 06:37
For the great unwashed, myself included, can anyone explain what a Brady rule is, and is there a piccie of one ?

It seems to be either an diversion calculation tool factoring in allowances payable, or something to do with flight planning. Am I on the right lines ?

tu chan go
11th May 2004, 12:16
For all you young chaps who don't know who Roger Brady is or what his rule does, here goes.

Roger was a fast jet pilot (Buccs then QFI at Valley) who has since left the RAF. He had an idea to integrate all the various 'gizzas' lying around the planning room into one, useful and unbreakable tool.

He did a lot of research into the material to use, getting loads of samples sent to him. The criteria he used (I seem to remember) was that if he could fold it in half without it breaking, it was good.

The Brady Rule is now produced in various versions depending on what you want to do with it (ie how fast do you fly and what in!) Mine is a Mk3 and has the following functions:

300, 420, 450, 480 and 540 kts (50,000 scale)
Same speeds - 500,000 scale
Protractor - bearing to and from
Turning circles and timings at all the above speeds
1.9 deg/sec turning circles (Tornado TFR turns)
Hold,IP and TGT shapes
Circle drawing thingy for fuel circles etc.
Fix point stencil
Roamers in various scales.

I am sure it does more than this but I haven't worked it out yet. It is a bl**dy useful piece of kit and means that you don't have to carry 4 or 5 bits of plastic of various sizes to plan with (It fits into standard RAF flying suit pockets and document holders - it even has the 2 holes for inserting into the ring binder!)

rogerbrady
22nd May 2004, 03:17
Thanks Tu

The Mk-3 and Mk-4 Rules are very popular with FJ pilots and have been for 17 years. The Mk-2 is being redesigned for GA use in 1: 500,000 scale. It will be for planning on Jeppesen charts and for GPS equipped light aircraft. There will be no speed scales. just nautical miles, kilometers, cm and inches for Jepp charts. The Mk-1 is for quarter mil / UAS type flying for speeds from 80 to 150 knots. If anyone wants one or more info, email me direct on [email protected].

PS: now knackered old fart flying rubber dogs**t from the far east.

Roger.

The Nr Fairy
22nd May 2004, 13:36
Roger:

Have you got a piccie of a rule, especially the Mk 1, you can post on the web somewhere and link to here ?

tu chan go
22nd May 2004, 16:27
Hi Roger

You may not remember but we were on Buccs together. You were crewed with Sholtz (big tall nav!). I was the one who was always in 'trouble'! How is the family. Last time I saw you, you only had one little 'un. She must be all grown up by now. Hope you are well.

Tu

Phil Sparks
22nd May 2004, 17:30
Thanks guys. Don't get the chance to log in too often but your replies are much appreciated - most of them anyway.

Roger Brady: We were at Valley together. Will send a PM idc.

PS

LOMCEVAK
22nd May 2004, 19:45
Roger,

Happy days at Bugle Street and 71 Course 237 OCU! Good to know that you are around. I will send you a PM (when I have a spare moment!).

Best Regards

L

rogerbrady
3rd Jun 2004, 08:02
Hi Dave, not sure what you are up to these days. Drop me a line. It would be good to catch up over a beer or 2.

rogerbrady
8th Jul 2004, 18:24
At long last, the rules can be ordered on line at www.bradyrules.com
Took a while to get going but at last the site is up and running. RB

Zoom
8th Jul 2004, 21:48
I still have the USAF equivalent, albeit in 2 pieces now, which I picked up in 1977. I also have my self-made, cardboard, fablon-ed one made in RAFG in 1972, which would work on maps of 50 thou up to 1 mill and speeds from 300 to 540 knots but at 18" in length wouldn't fit into any pocket. There were various models around at the time, and all were quick and convenient. We called them gizmoes then.

teeteringhead
9th Jul 2004, 08:33
I remember them as "guessing sticks".

Basil
9th Jul 2004, 10:17
Well, Hi, Roger!
Unfortunately, at the moment, a 0-15Kn Brady Rule would cover my requirements :(
Recollect being driven through Mainz after night out in Wiesbaden and suddenly realising that singing local WW2 songs with (in)appropriate arm gestures was illegal (esp when stopped at traffic lights) :O also remember interesting window shopping tour of evening facilities in said town :D :D

rogerbrady
14th Jul 2004, 14:45
Hi Basil. Hope all's well at 15 knots.

I would really appreciate some more feedback from medium-speed merchants for the design of the Mk-2. It is still on the drawing board and all input is welcome. The 1s 3s and 4s are well established but there appears to be a need for a GA planner at half mil scale. Let me know what you need - this is a great forum for it. For Herk Js, for example, 210 knots: 30 and 45 bank degree turns? Let me know your thoughts. More on the Mk-1 from Das Teutor would also be useful for future versions. Thanks, planners.

For Fairy: piccie of Mk-1 on bradyrules website.

navbag
16th Jul 2004, 08:29
All,

Just looked at Roger's web site: www.bradyrules.com and it's a really good site. Have no need to order one personally as I'm now out of uniform and still have my own but do remember that it was a pretty fine bit of kit that took some keeping hold of as everybody wanted to borrow it and then rarely returned it especially on detachments!

Could never understand why sqns didn't buy lots of these instead of the odd collection of other planning gizzits that we seemed to accumulate. One Brady rule replaces them all!

Rog, keep up the good work! Good effort for a hobby!!
:ok: