PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mice

Lost_luggage34
11th Jul 2004, 03:09
Just ditched my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse after a total hardware failure.

Went for a Labtech solution. Very pleased with it. However, every now and again the mouse seems to go to sleep.

It's a true optical mouse - no moving parts.

Downloaded all the latest drivers but as I said it just goes to sleep sometimes.

So I pick it up and that kicks off the LED and off we go again.

Should I be using a special mouse mat ? I recall many moons ago with Sun workstations there was a special reflective mat to cater for the optical mouse. However, this one works fine most of the time with a regular mouse mat.

Comments please.

FJJP
11th Jul 2004, 08:12
You don't need a 'special' mat. However, it does need to have anything other than a plain monocolour pattern. In other words, if it is, say, all one colour your mouse won't work - it needs changes in colour or pattern. So if you have a mat that has a picture of your fav aircraft, or the kids, advertising, etc, you should be ok. Don't be taken it by salesmen trying to sell you 'special' optical mousemats at exhorbitant prices. In fact, you don't need a mat at all - a computer desk with something like a wood pattern will do!

I'm not sure about the mouse going to sleep - that may actually be a design feature to save power - check you mouse settings in control panel...

spannersatcx
11th Jul 2004, 11:35
After a certain time of inactivity the optical mice 'go to sleep' in that the little red light thingy goes dim, it is to prolong the life of it I believe.

Rupert S
11th Jul 2004, 13:56
I've got a fantastic wireless optical mouse from Logitech. It works on pretty well any surface (one colour or more). Having a monocolour surface shouldn't be a problem, provided there's some sort of pattern to the surface (the grain in a piece of paper is sufficient!). Mine even seems to work on slightly reflective surfaces which is a first in my experience with optical mice. I find a sheet of clean, white paper works rather well with most mice though.

goates
12th Jul 2004, 14:16
I use a monocolour mouse pad with my wireless optical mouse, and it works great. Avoid using one with lots of drastic colour changes, like from black to white. This will confuse most optical mice.

If your mouse is wireless, it's probably just going to sleep to save battery life.

goates