PDA

View Full Version : Valid library file?

sprocket
10th Jul 2004, 21:48
XP Home:

Problem : My daughter cannot open iTunes in her ‘user profile’ anymore. The iTunes music list will open in the other user profiles on the computer though.

When opening iTunes the following message comes up …

“The iTunes Music Library cannot be read because it does not
appear to be a valid library file.”

I looked in the ‘Administrative Tools’, Event Viewer and the following explanation is
given ….

The description for Event ID {0} in Source { iPodService } cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You
may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE = flag to retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
event: Service started.

1. It is all geek speak to me. Can anyone tell me how I can correct the problem?
2. How can a library file not be valid for a particular user when up until a week ago it was working fine?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jul 2004, 15:14
sprocket,

You are asking about the User Profile in iToons and not the WinXP User Account correct?

If it is the one in iToons, then my guess is the Profile is corrupted. I would just create a new Profile for your daughter.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Sorry, I cannot be more specific, I have not used iToons before. :(

sprocket
11th Jul 2004, 20:15
Thanks Naples, the problem is with the XP user.

I continued searching the net after I posted here and came up with something that worked.

In order to correct the iTunes invalid file library problem in Windows, then do the following if you have a default install of iTunes and have not customized your library location ....

1. Open your My Music folder (should be under your My Documents folder).
2. Open the iTunes folder.
3. Move the file, "iTunes 4 Music Library.itl" from that folder to the desktop.
4. Open iTunes. Your music library will be blank.
5. On the File Menu, select Add Folder to Library.
6. In the dialog box that opens, navigate to My Documents\My Music\Itunes\ and click on the iTunes Music folder, then click OK

iTunes will rebuild your music library. If everything works properly, you can delete the file that you moved to your desktop. You can also use the above steps to add music files in other locations on your computer.:

I think there is malware on board as well, what is winpup?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jul 2004, 23:10
sprocket,

Winpup is a memory-resident Trojan drops a copy of itself in one of the Windows system folders. It opens several pop-up ads.

HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) will remove it for you.

Take Care,

Richard