PDA

View Full Version : Should I try to get a PPL?

chris reynolds
10th Jul 2004, 12:33
Hi,
I'm 15 and currently studying for my GCSE's, I want to become an RAF pilot and I just got back from work experience at ST Mawgan, I was given some good advice that to join the RAF I need to show that i'm enthusiastic and really want to be a pilot. I have already started the Duke of Edinborough award and I'm looking into others things to do. I currently have no flying experience (except when I went up in the vulco 105 helicopter at St Mawgan),
I was wondering wether it would be worth while to get a PPL (or at least try to get one).
I would be grateful for any advice

Obs cop
10th Jul 2004, 13:40
Youngskywalker,

I think you may have been a bit hasty with your first point, after all for many years both the RAF and the RN sponsored teenagers with flying burseries (spelling?:bored: ) giving the participants 16 hours in a C152 or similar at designated civil flying clubs. I would suggest they couldn't hate the civil system that much as they pumped huge sums of money into it. They simply treat it for what it is............ a hobby licence.

Chris,

Quite a few of the people I joined the Fleet Air Arm with had PPL's so it doesn't hurt your chances of getting in but once in it doesn't make it any easier. It does show a desire to fly, but look at it another way. Some of your competitors will not have the funding to gain a PPL, some will. The military appreciates this and so I would argue will not discriminate between 2 candidates based on who could afford the lessons and who couldn't. What will show is your efforts to pursue your ambition. This can ably be demonstrated by talking to recruitment staff to see what acquaints and visits are available, if there are any bursaries etc. I would also suggest get down to your local airfield to help out, maybe cleaning aircraft etc.

Have you thought about learning to fly gliders? This can be done through cadet organisations, but even your local gliding club will offer cheap flying for students such as yourself (some would even suggest that gliding is a more skilled art than powered flying).

However, getting into the armed forces is not simply who has paid for flying before joining. They spend the same amount on you whether you join with nothing, a PPL or a CPL. You still go through each and every one of the courses.

At OACS they test your aptitude to be a pilot and the skills they look for go far beyond that of a PPL pilot. The majority of people who pass these critical tests have no PPL and likewise not all PPL's pass. The best thing you can do is to ensure that you demonstrate the officer like qualities. They can train you to fly as that is their job, but what is harder to undertsand is that you need to be an officer with the corresponding skills. Team activities and sports are a huge help here and do anything that comes your way from Duke of Edinburgh to helping local charities.

All the best

Obs cop