PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus Coaching

Weapons_Hot
10th Jul 2004, 09:04
A collegue and I were talking about, of all things, meteorology. During the discourse, we learned that both of us had done a met. course with Nimbus Coaching, of Melbourne. It was run by a couple of met. persons, one a forecaster and the other a met. observer by the name of Mal Glover, who was also the met. instructor for the DOT ATC/FSO courses at Henty House, Little Collins Street, Melbourne.

Neither of us can remember the met. forecaster, so... any ideas out there? Also, what did happen to both of them?
Both were bloody good instructors and definately knew what they were talking about and how to get through a thick skull and keep it in there.

Thanks people.

orva
10th Jul 2004, 23:13
I can remember the famous statement from Mal.."Showers fall from convective clouds, convective clouds produce showers...pussycat!!" Sat the course in Carlton back in 82'. Passed Senior Comm and failed Commercial so getting a pass in S/C automatically got me a pass in Comm Ha Ha! Great instructors but can not think of No.2 name. Big tall bloke and more passive than Mal. And speaking of Mal I remember he got a female to cry one Sunday morning during a lecture!! Some one let her out of the kitchen!

Weapons_Hot
12th Jul 2004, 13:30
Anybody would be tame compared to Mal:O

Strainer
12th Jul 2004, 16:07
Dug out the theory book I was given at the time (Moorabbin '82) hoping I might've scrawled some names in it, but couldn't see where I had.
Mal certainly knew his stuff and was on the ball and if you weren't, he certainly let you know in an attention grabbing sort of way.
Can remember the other gentleman, baldish, receding hairline with moustache but alas, not his name.
Thinking about it now, it all seems so long ago.

EPIRB
13th Jul 2004, 03:30
Ian Murphy was the other bloke. There was a thread on Nimbus sometime ago and I believed Mal has passed on but Ian is in Tullamarine. Those Carlton courses on a Sunday were fun. I remember one girl, when Ian explained that hectopascal was a unit of measurement and she exclaimed that she thought it was named after a man!

john_tullamarine
22nd Jul 2004, 07:17
Many would have done their Nimbus courses with Ian and Mal at Noel Lamont's AAA at Essendon Airport in years long past.

Had occasion to visit the airport yesterday for the first time in a long time and noted that Noel's rooms have been demolished .. along with a bunch of others in the old Ansett area.

Tempus fugit, I guess.