PDA

View Full Version : tips for a new turbine drop driver?!

skywagon
10th Jul 2004, 07:08
Gidday ppruners!

...just scored some part time dropwork at local DPZ in a turbine fletcher and was wondering if anyone has any usefull experiences / advice ect out there for first time parachute and turbine driver...cheers!

Capt Fathom
10th Jul 2004, 11:54
Yes! Wear a parachute and know how to use it!

Cinders
11th Jul 2004, 02:30
Best site of its type I've seen...

diverdriver.com (http://www.diverdriver.com)

Cheers

C.

btr_nz
16th Jul 2004, 01:41
i used to fly a walter powered fletcher..watch the fuel use, don't trust the gauges go on what you put in and what you have burn't...have a habit of crossfeeding and if refuelling on a slope make sure the inboard tanks are full.

i know of one that ran out!

nasty feather if i recall...and don't land with flaps as the feather disrupts airflow over the elevator and flap seems to make it worse...also watch out for those freaks climbing out if two many of them go to the back it pitches up and trys to somersault on you..otherwise top jumpship
..enjoy

GW_04
19th Jul 2004, 13:52
Gidday skywagon,
tips on jump flying...hmm,
how long is a piece of string. Jump flying is one of those things that seems quite simple at first, but the more you do the more you realise how much to it there really is. To do it well and safe that is.
As for turbines I have flown quite a few types on jump ops but not the fletcher. Basicly they are pretty simple to operate on jump ops as compared to a piston for engine handling.

Always use the ground power unit for starting whenever you can and have them charge it between every start. Pointing the aircraft into wind will always give a cooler start.

In the climb, if your operating at max continuous thermo rating be careful of inversion layers. The ITT can sneak up quite a bit if your not watching should you go through a warm layer of air.
Also these puppys burn fuel at an alarming rate compared to a Cessna, even while on the ground waiting for the jumpers to get there act together, so always carry PLENTY of fuel. If you get a hold on your last fuel load you could find yourself getting a little anxious if you dont.
When spotting I like to keep it really short or quite a bit before the DZ in light winds, and go quite deep in high winds and you generally cant go to wrong.
Try flying your jump run like a glide approach in reverse. ie- with a cross wind down wind etc...It gives you ample time to monitor your distance and climb rate so you can arrive at exit point and height simultaneously.
On jump run be VERY careful not to get to slow. If the jumpers are stacking the exit add another 5 knots. Keep your eyes out the window on the nose attitude and heading (not on the GPS).
The rest is easy. Get it down for another!

Always have an escape plan (in your mind on every load) well rehearsed to get out of the cockpit in an emergency (in flight).
Its not if....its when you will need to jump!
Also, have a standardized system for your checks so you do them in the same place every time through the day. When you get a distraction (annoying loud mouth jumper tapping you on the shoulder)start again.
I have found when your on load 25 in the middle of the summer, your better of having the habit there so your not relying on your fatigued brain to think about what you might have forgotten.
Last but not least, on the long days, try to relax and do as little as possible in the cockpit as you fly (ie-not constantly playing with the GPS, talking to jumpers, re-checking your instruments every 5 seconds), it will make a massive difference to how you feel at the end of the day.
Hope all this helps.
Cheers G
:ok:

1McLay
24th Jul 2004, 21:49
Make sure you have a good breakfast and take your lunch with you and a bottle of water. You will get tired quickly while you are still getting use to it but having food and drink avaiable will really help your concentration. Specially if you are in a turbine and they wont let you out for lunch!

(Sorry didnt mean to sound like ya mother!):}

Don't be pushed into to flying if you arent happy with the weather or the aircraft etc. Remember as PIC it's your name and reputation on the line, you just need to weigh up how much money, time and effort you have spent allready to get the qualifications you have got now - against how much you are being paid to do the job. Remember there is always another day tomorrow.

Jump flying is great fun, good for the hour building, and is good experience.

Best of luck

1M