PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Angle Monitoring

stilton
10th Jul 2004, 06:23
At my airline, and now on all fleet types, we have a pitch monitoring program, that will give you a read out of your t/o
and landing pitch attitude (immediately after t/o and after shutdown for the landing)

Since we fly, on my aircraft, four sub types of 757/767 with significantly differing clearance attitudes this is a very useful
piece of information, of course it's always after the fact but it is educational.

It will also print a warning if you exceed certain pitch angles,
however the program is written for only the most restrictive type
(757-300) so it will print a warning that your pitch was too high if you exceed seven degrees in a 767-200. This seems to negate the value of the program somewhat, I think it should be tailored for each aircraft sub type.

These records are also stored on QAR and follow ups are made if certain parameters are exceeded, (not by the company but the safety dep't of the union)

One of the unintended results of this is a significant number of
pilots rotating extremely slowly and climbing out at speeds of up to V2+50! exceeding tyre and flap speeds, this is turning out to be far more of a problem than high pitch attitudes.

Anyone else with a similar program, problems and benefits?

411A
11th Jul 2004, 01:38
Slow(er) rotation maneuvers does not necessarliy result in overspeed climbs...and if it does, some very basic ground training needs to be accomplished by the tech crew concerned.:(