PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done FAA to NZCAA conversion lately?

yankiwi
9th Jul 2004, 18:42
Hi all,

Looking for info on conversions. Specifically whether it would be quicker/cheaper/easier to convert my FAA ATP to a kiwi ATPL or go for the CPL MECIR. Currently keeping the front right seat warm in the ERJ-145 in the states and want to keep my chances open for potential work back home one day. So from the CAA website I see what will be required, and I meet all the experience req's listed, but the main unknown is how hard is it to organise and afford an ATPL flight test, as opposed to doing a BFR to CPL standards and a multi-instrument flight test? I have a NZ ppl and used to hold a class 1 medical, plus I can knock out the Air law tests before coming back to do the flight test portions.
Anybody done it or know someone at a flight school anywhere in Northland/AKL/Waikato that might help me out. I plan on doing this within the next 6 months but will only have a couple of weeks back home to do it all, so I need to plan most of it in advance.
Appreciate anyones help, advice or ideas.

Cheers, Yankiwi.

Been gone too long and reeaalllyyy miss meat pies and lion red!!!!!!!!!

Inverted FL
8th Aug 2004, 13:53
Have you considered doing it in Australia? To the best of my understanding, to convert to the Australian ATPL from an FAA equivalent, take the ATPL air law exam and then submit for your licence. I dont believe there is a flight test portion in Australia, however I could be giving you a bum steer. Something to look into though.

mjbow2
9th Aug 2004, 06:13
Aust conversion = IREX, ATPL law, Commercial law AND Instr Check ride.

Pretty straight forward.

Looked into FAA NZ conversion also....but did not do it. From memory very similar excersize!

Good luck Yankiwi:ok:

Mmmmm Dallas, ERJ! Eagle pilot there Kiwi or Conex?:hmm:

yankiwi
9th Aug 2004, 16:20
Thanks for the info guys, I thought this thread had died a slow death!!

I guess Oz looks like a better option as the NZ ATPL flight test is a big hurdle.
Anybody have any recommendations on good prep books for the Oz IREX, and atpl/cpl law exams. Does ol' Trevor Thom have good ones?

Hey mjbow2 I'm guessing the Inst check ride will be in a light twin, any ideas on a good operator that might help make the process go as smooth as poss? Anywhere in Qld or NSW, doesn't matter.

As for your question its coex for me at the moment.

Thanks guys.

piontyendforward
9th Aug 2004, 21:08
Straight forward for the NZ ATPL conversion, IF and it is a big IF you have at least 500 hours using an aircraft in operations that requires you to hold the licence. CAA do conversions on a case by case basis, so you need to contact them direct to see what they would require, for you particular case. If you manage to get a job with the likes of Freedom or AirNZ then they can to the ATPL flight check on the CAA behalf.

Check with CAA at its their train set.

mjbow2
10th Aug 2004, 06:41
Yankiwi....

Keep an eye out for a mate of mine.....last time i checked he was based in Cleveland (before furlough) he is back and based i beleive in Sewark these days...not sure....Jordan Patton is his name:D

I spent many weeks pounding the pavement in Sydney and could not find a school who actually knew what they were doing when it came to the required exams/check rides etc....let alone a forward thinking CFI who could expedite the process...

I ended up going to melbourne and did the IREX at a school called Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training. You should call Steve Pearce on 03 968 16247. He has done training in the States before and has done many 'conversions' of foreign lic's. He is well versed on the differences and the strange procedural differences that an American pilot faces in Oz......

I took 4 days to do the flying and the check ride right after the IREX written class with Lionel Taylor. Lionel does IREX classes that last aprx 10 days (well worth it at $900). Lionel can be contacted on his Mobile: 0413 012330. He conducts his classes in the Peter Bini class rooms, although technically is not associated with Bini!

All in all I had a frustrating time trying to find the right school/CFI to do it but am glad I found these guys....I cant reccomend them highly enough.

BTW there is very cheap accomodation on the airfield. you can get a room for $20 a night......its called Valight training centre. (Steve Pearce will have Valery Writes phone number)

If I can be of any further help.....you know the drill

Luck there Kiwi
MJB:ok:

Oh year..... These guys (http://www.aft.com.au/afthome.htm) offer the course material for correspondance learning with full phone support from instructors for the ATPL law and Commercial law.......

perceval
10th Aug 2004, 16:05
for your study material , have a look at rob avery's (perth) website (www.aviationshop.com.au) .There's good stuff about conversion requirements in oz and he offers distant learning study course for the airlaw exams and IREX .
goood luck with that

yankiwi
12th Aug 2004, 04:34
Thanks guys,
All the above info is noted.
Mjb will be calling those guys as soon as I get a time frame together for getting down under. Will look out for your mate as well.

Cheers, Yankiwi.