PDA

View Full Version : Detachment Length

Scud-U-Like
9th Jul 2004, 18:22
I've just been told my impending detachment to Iraq will be for 6 months, rather than the expected 4. It is a joint Army/RAF det and, in their wisdom, someone decided it would be just dandy if the RAF fitted-in with the Army's standard detachment length, even though there would be no apparent operational problem rotating RAF people through the det, at different intervals to our Army cousins. Am I right in thinking it is current Air Force Board policy that, save for exceptional circumstances, RAF detachments should last no longer than 4 months and that RAF pay scales and x-factor are calculated accordingly?

CatpainCaveman
9th Jul 2004, 21:26
SCUD - I would check that you are not about to be posted at the same time as a result of this.

I did a similar type of joint det last year and the army complained bitterly that they were there for 6 months whilst we rotated through after 4. The explanation they were given by someone from an admin cell somewhere (PMOC/PMA?) was that a 6 monther constituted a posting and we didn't do 6 months because it would create all sorts of posting-chain nightmares to fill one det slot. However, for a 4-monther, the individual's parent unit is responsible for gapping the post while they are away.

Don't know how true this is, but I have heard it again several times since my return to the UK. Might be worth confirming this point to avoid any nasty surprises as you come home to Mrs SUL's loving embrace and a posting notice!

Keep yer 'ed down!

Scud-U-Like
12th Jul 2004, 00:00
CaptC

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I'm probably overdue a posting, so I won't be too cut-up if, on my return, I find one. Then again, I'll be happy if I still have a job to come home to. And if that's asking too much, I'll just settle for coming home. Ever the optimist...