PDA

View Full Version : Running the recovery disks for XP pro

Onan the Clumsy
9th Jul 2004, 16:01
I checked the archives, but didn't see the answer.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to run the recovery disks and rebuild my laptop :hmm: I want to rebuild it to new specs with a format and everything. That'll clean it up and get rid of those damn viruses I've got :*

I have all the data backed up and I changed the boot order to hit the CD first. It seems to go ok, but then asks if I want to repair, so I type R but then it asks me for the admin password :confused: The bloke in the pub never told me anyfink about an admin :(

Anyway, seeing as I want to blow away the HD, ...how do I go about doing this? Do I need to create a boot disk? Do I just format C: and THEN run the recovery disks? Are you the bloke in the pub?

TIA

E-Liam
9th Jul 2004, 16:32
Hi Onan,

The password should be on a label on the jewel case. If not, go here (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) and download and run the Belarc advisor. It opens a new browser window with all the relevant software/hardware info you're ever likely to need. Scroll down to Software Licences and look for your OS. It gives you the CD key there.

Of course you need to do this before formatting, and you can transfer the program between machines if you don't have net access.

I think you said you wanted to use the recovery discs off of one PC on another. I'm pretty certain that you have only 30 days to register XP via the net, [to stop piracy] and this may cause problems.. :oh: :)

Someone else can jump in at this point, as I don't need to worry about that with W98.. :D

Cheers

Liam

Onan the Clumsy
9th Jul 2004, 16:41
I got the product key with the packaging, but no admin password. I found a ms not (312149 I think) that showed how to go into Administrative Tools and set security to automatically logon as admin during recovery. I'll try your link too (before formatting :) ).

I was going to use the recovery disks that came with the PC so I should be ok there. My brother gave me this machine when he switched over to a mac :ok: so there are one or two bits of its history I'm unsure about.

Cheers

Liam ;)

E-Liam
9th Jul 2004, 16:48
Crossed wires Liam...

I read CD key as admin password. :sad: :eek: :oh: :ooh: :confused:

Still, ignoring the rest of what I wrote, Belarc is very good. It'll give you a lot of info, should you need to find drivers for the hardware, and don't want to rip the case off to find out who made what.

Cheers

Liam

Onan the Clumsy
9th Jul 2004, 16:59
Ok. Cover me...

...I'm going in. :suspect:

Onan the Clumsy
10th Jul 2004, 15:11
Phew, I made it, but it was touch and go for a while.

Next time I'll just buy a new computer.

Tinstaafl
10th Jul 2004, 15:36
Or ditch Micro**** Windoze for Linux... :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jul 2004, 15:04
Onan the Clumsy,

The Admin Password is something you are prompted for when you first install WinXP on the computer. You do not ever want to leave it blank, since a system without an Admin Password is like leaving your front door open for hackers to come right in.

When you bought the computer, they should have either given your the Admin password, or been available when you need the password, to give it to you by phone.

Take Care,

Richard