PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines To Rome?

mach2male
9th Jul 2004, 07:48
I received an e-mail today with a photo of a 747-300 painted in Australian Airline Colours with text suggesting that AO will be flying to FCO and possibly ATH.Scuttlebutt is that AO commences services to FCO in October
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

High-Flying-Adored
9th Jul 2004, 23:54
I have heard this rumour float around for quite a while.

QF of course dropped these routes as they were not profitable for the mainline service. I think they now codeshare with CX to both destinations.

Melbourne has the second largest greek population outside of Athens itself, and as Olympic have ceased to fly the route, there would be next to no competition one would think.

As for the 743's, AO hinted at acquiring these in an interview i read a few months ago, i will try and find it.

RaTa
10th Jul 2004, 03:31
The rumour was doing the rounds at the beginning of the year but was discedited shortly after it appeared. Some wag with photoshop had some fun and put AO's livery on a 747. :D

fourplay
10th Jul 2004, 03:41
It's like RaTa says!
could not have put it better
:} :} :}

qfmike737
10th Jul 2004, 07:33
Rome.... I really really dont think so. Not yet anyways! but man that would be great!!!! I kinda see Vietnam first.

mid assist
10th Jul 2004, 11:47
RaTa, You are correct..... the picture is just a bit of fun, put together by someone in the AO office...

Was told recently that AO has looked at leasing a number of 747-400 for future operations. Has been put on the back burner due to leasing costs currenty over priced/ above market rates.

Management have said, the company will be focused on growing the 767 operation. qfmike737 is on the right track.

Goodluck at ep's young qfmike737!!!

Capt Fathom
10th Jul 2004, 12:07
My prediction...Qantas will return to Rome before the end of 2005!