PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism Threat Intercepted by CDG Security

Blacksheep
9th Jul 2004, 01:23
Thank heavens we are now well protected against all threats. With people like these looking out for us we're all as safe as houses.

Read about it here (http://www.lutononline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=541&ArticleID=819326)

Airbubba
9th Jul 2004, 02:40
From the article:

"...If we go again it will be to Disneyland in Florida."

View From The Ground
9th Jul 2004, 04:04
What is this reporter's problem? What he sees as a 'jobsworth' attitude other reporters would use to create a sensational story about lapses in airport security.

This really is no different from not letting children or adults take toy guns into the cabin of a plane. Since conceivably a realistic toy could be used to hijack the aircraft. I am sure the reporter concerned and his kids would have had no problem if the toy swords had been packed where they should have been in their checked luggage.

Suggest instead of blaming airport security their father looks at his own actions as the root cause for any upset caused to his kids. I dont think TSA will be any kinder with the plastic swords either when he goes to Florida Disney next time.

Amazing what makes a story when it is supplied by someone connected with the newspaper. No credit to the Herald and Post for their somewhat partial reporting.

Voeni
9th Jul 2004, 06:11
C'mon, that's ridiculous. Plastic swords are definitely not a security threat! I'm sure you could much better attack someone with the fork...

"...If we go again it will be to Disneyland in Florida."

in the States these two twins would be in prison now :D

Jerricho
9th Jul 2004, 15:36
The world has officially gone nuts.

Could we please stop, I would like to get off.

bealine
9th Jul 2004, 20:49
Where have you lot been???

Ever since I can remember, toy guns, swords or other weapons have had to be carried in hold baggage - never in the cabin. Quite apart from the fact that some toy guns are very realistic, having been successfuly used in past hijackings and bank hold-ups (I recall a plastic toy 7.62 mm Self-Loading Rifle 100% accurate down to the last rivet that I confiscated from an 8 year old in Northern Ireland when I was in the employ of Her Majesty as a regular soldier), the noisy play often associated with such toys could cause shock and irritation to passengers and crew alike.

It is somewhat ironic that the Daily Mail reported this story on the page before another article where two young boys had terrorised a neighbourhood, so I'm afraid the question of youth doesn't really hold water!

SyllogismCheck
9th Jul 2004, 21:43
Seems perfectly reasonable action on behalf of security to me.

Picture if you will.......

Child becomes bored of playing with said toy hands it to 'Dad' who then unthinkingly stands up from his seat holding it.
Hows that going to look from the other end of the cabin to someone whos not seen the child playing with it previously and is to far away to identify it as a toy?

It'd set me on edge that much is for sure to suddenly see a grown man holding a 'dagger' on an aircraft.
I wonder what an 'air marshalls' reaction would be?
:rolleyes:

10th Jul 2004, 18:56
Picture the scene at the departure gate if the girls were allowed to keep their toys.

"Mummy, why did I have my toy gun taken off me?"
"It's for security, darling"
"But Mummy, why have those 2 girls still got their toy swords?"

As Bealine states, NO imitation weapons are allowed to be taken onto aircraft.
What if it was a toy dagger?, or a plastic hand grenade?.
You've got to have one set of rules that cover everybody, that way it's not up to the check in staff to decide if a "toy" is okay to take on board, or to ban it, as it's too realistic.

BEagle
11th Jul 2004, 13:02
Sorry, but I think that this was a reasonable action. Unlike those stupid Spams who thought that a toy farting dog was some sort of bomb (allegedly they applied some sort of explosive detector to its arse with all the studied pomposity of which only an American official is capable), it is very easy for a security offical to be deceived by a concealed real weapon behind a child's toy sword. And who's to say that the sword hasn't been sharpened to an unacceptable degree and that the children aren't just innocent mules?

No weapons in the aircraft cabin - real ones or toys. Period. The French are very fond of children and no doubt this was an innocent event. But next time perhaps it won't be - and I'll bet that the official involved was very sorry that he had to say no, but he's having to protect the world from the imbeciles who would cause it harm.

pipersg
11th Jul 2004, 21:05
Aside from the main issue of this thread, Terminal 1 at CDG is by far the worst international airport in a developed country I have ever been to.

ChrisVJ
12th Jul 2004, 06:12
Can't disagree with the argument for security but what happened to common sense here?

"You must have had a great time at Disney, those look great, how about we let the captain of the airplane look after them for you? " Get them put in the hold and returned at destination. Good will all round. As so many have said before on here, when you forget what airlines are supposed to be for why should your customers bother?

flyblue
13th Jul 2004, 20:15
ChrisVJ, that was the procedure but it was discontinued because there were TONS of forbidden articles to send to the hold for each flight. Besides, the security check is too late: it is not handled by the company any more. And since the crew aren't allowed to have forbidden articles, we cannot keep it in the F/D and give it back at destination like we used to do.
And to confiscate a plastic knife is not sillier than the plastic cosmetic pencil sharpener that they took from me (in uniform) in MIA.

mini
14th Jul 2004, 20:29
Maybe its a case of not what it is, but what it looks like?